WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    Hanging in there today. Regarding tossing stuff. I got rid of lots and lots 2 years ago when I lost 35 pounds. Although I have put most of the weight back on( not all and I am more fit) I am not upset that I got rid of things. I have enough to get me thru and I have some clothes to look forward to since I have done it before very recently I will do it again. I just need to get my work situation worked out and get back on track with life.

I have an interview on Monday so please cross your fingers that I can get away from the evil.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    Rainy yet again PNW
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    This past weekend I started writing the story of my childhood years, as I may have mentioned before, but I can't remember if I did, so humour me. My older sister is turning 65 this month and I recently asked what she would like for her special birthday. She answered, "I know exactly what I want; I would like to receive the story of our childhood years from your perspective."

I thought that was a fantastic idea, and certainly something I wanted to do "one of these days" anyway. I've got the beginnings and will add to it as the memories start coming back.

Okay, gotta get back to work.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Ok! Toss (chuck--that word always makes me laugh) the stuff is the hands down winner, so now I've got more of an excuse to tackle the walk-in closet. Are we reallllly sure disco won't ever make a come-back? No more shoulder pads? Ever?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,986 Member
    the only thing I can say, is everything old is new again :laugh:
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Quickly looking through posts on my lunch. I lost a bit more weight so I’m sitting right on my threshold.:smile::smile: Hoping I can break it this week. My ultimate goal is only 3 lbs away but I’m thinking I might try to lose a bit more. I’ll have to see if and when I get there.
    My DS and DD are asking for care packages that include my chocolate chip cookies. They and their friends love them. Since I started MFP in January I haven’t sent any packages.:noway: I used to try and send them each 1 a month with all their favorite goodies. The problem was that DH and I also indulged in these home baked goodies.:grumble: I think I’ll let myself have 1 or 2 cookies (not sure how many DH will have – he has no willpower against cookies warm out of the oven) but send the rest to the kids and their friends. Wish me luck – it is going to take much strength to resist!:blushing:

Liz – so sorry about your sister. :brokenheart: Great reminder to live life in the moment because there is no guarantee about the next one.

Meg – hope you feeling better. Cuddles to Benny – how the surgery goes well:sick:

Bea – I’m making roasted asparagus with EVOO and parm tonight – love it!:bigsmile:

Kandy – great job and your walking. Just keep at it increasing a bit at a time and you’ll be walking 2 miles before you know it:drinker:

Katia – I’m not going anywhere.:wink: I will continue to need MFP when I shift to maintenance mode…I’ve worked too hard to let the pounds slide back on. Logging will help me be vigilant and I would miss all of you.:heart: My husband is a teacher and we run into his old students all the time (although he doesn’t always recognize the older ones because they change so much from 7th/8th grade:embarassed: ) and he loves it when they catch him up on their lives:happy:

Rori – good luck on your trip. I recently agreed to cover a couple of maternity leaves that will require me to be out of town 2-3 days a week starting in August. I’m going to need to tap into you for some good strategies for sticking with healthy eating and exercise on the road:smile:

Michelle – I feel so badly about what you are going through with your son. Please take care of yourself during this stressful time

Lisa in UP – congrats on your NSV! :flowerforyou: I love it when clothes I haven’t been able to wear start to fit again. It’s like a shopping spree in your own closet

Carovnitza – congrats on the new swimsuit. :drinker: I’m holding off on making that purchase for a bit…I always find it a bit demoralizing:explode:

Amanda – so sorry you are having snow – a new coat + is a great way to deal with the winter doldrums:wink:

Brooke – I was wondering where you were. Glad to hear you are feeling better and hope you are 100% soon.:smile: Which Zumba DVD do you have? I love dancing around to the one I have, but am thinking I need another for variety

Laura80111 – I love Mongolian BBQ, but haven’t had it in ages. Sounds like spring is finally coming your way. :glasses: We are also warming up (but not as much as you). Been taking the dogs out for walks before dinner and they are very happy with us for it

Robin – I’m so hoping your interview goes well and you can have a new boss.:heart: Please let us know the outcome

Renny – what a great present!:flowerforyou:

Jackie – I agree with everyone else – chuck or donate those bigger size clothes. You are not going to need them again!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Well got to get back at it so I have time to walk the dogs later. Have a great day ladies. Jodios:smile::love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :cry: :bigsmile:
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    A big "thank you" to Barbie for keeping this thread going!

Goals for April are the same as those I set for March:

Log my food and exercise in the morning so that I have my plan all worked out for the day (I missed a few days in March; goal is to do this every day in April)

Exercise at least 4 nights a week (in addition to the mile and a half I walk every morning at work) (Missed this by a mile in March but WILL pull myself out of my exercise slump this month)

Be more patient with those who make me a little crazy (I need to stay focused on this as things at work are very crazy).

I am going to be on the road several times this month and that is always a challenge for me in terms of staying the course. I just want to say again how MUCH I appreciate being able to come to this board for encouragement, positive reinforcement and just generally great tips on eating and exercising.

Wishing you all a good day – let’s have a great April!

Sandy, central Ohio where the weather is struggling towards Spring:wink:

Hello, Sandy,
    I had the pleasure of visiting Ohio this past summer! I attended the AHS (American Hemerocallis Society) in Columbus. Hemerocallis is the botanical name for daylily. My husband and I toured more than a dozen daylily gardens in the state, and had a wonderful time while there. If you know anyone there that grows, hybridizes or sells daylilies, we probably know some of the same folks!
    Struggling toward spring is correct for NC too, as it is sleeting here today. Hoping it doesn't confuse my daylilies as they are really taking off in growth now!
    I am very pleased to find a 50+ group. I turned 50 + 20 last month, and sometimes feel a bit foolish to have taken on such a goal as to lose my extra 85 pounds at such a ripe old age. I am halfway there now and have taken on a sort of personal trainer this week. Hope I can follow the plan set up for me. This site has really helped a lot with this, so will be here for a while for sure.
    Just want to wish everyone Good Luck, We Can Do This Awesome Thing!
    lockmand, Donna155
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Hmm, I remember having a hard time getting rid of things, not being sure I could trust myself to never need those clothes again. I finally tossed a big bag when I'd lost 30, then again when I hit 50, and once when -oops! -that reminds me, there are still 3 bags sitting on the floor of my closet! And many, many more blouses hanging in there that need to go. I should do it today, but I'd rather go out and hike in the rain. :laugh: I'll get to it, though, some other rainy day. :tongue:

Happy tossing, everyone, just do it! Tell yourself you'll never go back. And then keep the promise. :wink:

jb in Portland
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    I have a hard time getting rid of things that are too small. I always feel if I do that, I am admitting that they will never fit again and am in someway not optimistic about ever being able to wear those small things again. Just the other day, I found a pair of size 12 jeans and they looked tiny. I didn't think that I was tiny when I fit into them.

I am trying to look at the big picture for this month - lose 8 pounds.

I am doing 30DS, but really do have some excuses - some of those exercises aren't good for arthritic knees. I try modifying, but won't be jumping, kneeling down or doing anything that puts pressure on my knees. I cringe when Jill says that there are no excuses or no modifications. Just wait until her knees deteriorate.

Please send that warm weather from CO to the midwest. I am antsy to get on my bicycle.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Lin, Congratulations on the great Drs REPORT! I hope to get a good on the 24th of this month.
    Another reason to work extra hard during April! Thanks for sharing what our best efforts can bring to us!

My goals for cardio are to ride at least 260 miles on my bike at the gym.
    Food goals are to eat lots of veggies and fruits, and get in my proteins.
    Do strength training at least 3 days a week.
    Keep track of my fats, sugars and carbs.
    Weight goal is to loose 8 to 10 pounds.

So glad to know others are working hard at this as well.
    lockmand, Donna155
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Welcome to newbies! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

CarlottaGorda: (I say "esp. women" because as a menopausal woman I don't think men **really** understand the challenges my body is facing. I swear, my metabolism left me for a younger woman!) This is hilarious.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh. :laugh: Portion control is the #1 key to my success. Key #2 is logging every bite. Those two are in a neck and neck race to be number 1. Key 3 is move more. Those three things are working wonders in my life. My metabolism is even making a comeback.:wink:

Jackie in Cherry Hill: I have kept the stuff that is one size larger than my current size and donated the rest. My closet space is soooo much more adequate now. :bigsmile: When I get down to the next smaller size I’ll donate the current backup set and make these my new backup. This means I have 2 pair of pants that are a bit too big, and two pair that fit just right. I don’t want to give myself any encouragement to backslide.:noway: On the way down I’m buying the minimum to get by, but when I reach my destination all the biggies will go, and I’ll stock up my wardrobe with clothes that fit.:bigsmile:

Robin: My fingers are crossed for your interview and for your general well being.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Renny: What an amazing project you have undertaken. I hope you have fun with it.:bigsmile:

Donna: Welcome. You’re never too old to improve your life.:noway: I’m 50+13, and feeling healthier and more energetic (younger) as the pounds drop away.:bigsmile:

Yoga was just what I needed this morning. There were some new people there and one new person who is back for her second class in a row. It is raining here in NW Oregon now, and the rain is welcome for now. I just don’t want it to move in permanently.:laugh: It is a good thing my bike is on a trainer in the garage. I have use for it.:bigsmile:

Katla indoors in NW Oregon
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread. I just joined and I'm not yet 50, will be in December. Close enough. My Doctor recommended this site to me and I am determined to see it through. So my goals this month as a newbie are very simple. I'm going to log in every day. Log all my food and exercise as much or little as it may be, and try to drink more water. I'm trying to change my eating habits and eat healthier carbs and stay away from the starches. It is a huge lifestyle change and I know it will take time. But this time I am determined. This time I am doing it for me.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,471 Member
    DeeDee - we sent Bryan an email telling him times that we would be here to talk to him, and he sent an email back saying that he can't call today (get this) because he's tired and he can't call tonight because he will probably going to play hockey. I know, talking on the phone is so hard on the body. He can't find time to talk to us, but he can find the time and energy to play hockey. Go figure! He said that he'd call this weekend, so we shall see.

Welcome everyone who is new

Went to lunch with the Newcomers. I had a black bean burger (no bun) with the lettuce, tomato and onion and a small salad. But, honestly, I was so full from that burger that I barely even touched the salad. Got it without the bacon or cheese. Then went to a food store, was I ever surprised at all the things they've discontinued! So we had to go to WalMart. Do you know that the first store didn't even have a ham????

Jessica is supposed to be here with the latest boyfriend. I won't go to mahjongg tomorrow because Jessica wants to go horseback riding and Vince has a men's lunch at noon. I don't want Chris to be here alone. He probably feels somewhat awkward, I know I would. This is the first time he's met us, we've met him, and then to be left alone???? No. I wouldn't do that. Mahjongg will still be there.

Did an hour and a quarter of the Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD today. Tomorrow I'll do a step DVD

LisalynUP - you're gettting there, that's for sure. Congrats

Amanda - thank you for buying that coat. That means that nice weather is on the way (never fails). I can't get over how weird the weather is here, yesterday I was wearing a short sleeved sweater and no coat. Today, a long sleeved sweater and my heavy coat. I needed the heavy coat in the morning, but probably could have gotten by with a lighter coat in the afternooon. Yet, I still needed a coat. Sick, if you ask me. I was going to put my Sudafed away but decided not to. Thank goodness, with this weather change I wouldn't be surprised if I needed it.

charovnitza - great NSV!

Bea - another thing, Laura is right in that allergies can change if you live in a different area. When we lived in PA, Vince has severe hayfever, he had to wear a mask when he cut the grass. Down here in NC he doesn't have to wear the mask.

Laura - you know, the weird thing is that Bryan was always the one of my three children who was the most mature. So what happened???

Jackie - when the pants don't fit me for about 6 months, that's when I put them in the box for the Salvation Army. My rationalization is that I'm making more room for newer pants.

grandmalle - way to go on the pants, you're cooking girl

Robin - fingers, toes, eyes, and anything else that can be crossed is crossed for you.

jodios - good luck to you. I know how hard it can be to resist cookies. As you know, my downfall is raw cookie dough. Cookies after they're baked really don't do much for me. but don't put cookie dough in front of me!

twotonnetaric - I always do low impact jumping jacks. The only time that I don't is when you do something (say a squat) and then one jumping jack. Anything more than one and it's low impact for me.

katlia - glad you enjoyed your yoga so much today. Some days it seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

Going to post this now.

Michele in NC
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Robin – Great news about your interview, I hope that if you decide you want it you get it! :smile:

Juanita – Here’s hoping for an easy and “clean” colonoscopy and bloodwork. Sorry it’s snowing, I do so understand - - snowed here last week today it’s in the 60’s, seems Mother Nature can’t make up her mind! :ohwell:

Renny – What an awesome gift to give and receive. It could become the beginning of a wonderful family tradition of sharing life stories for many lives/generations! :happy:

Jodios – I’ve got the Zumba Rush DVD which I will officially open and use tomorrow after I recover from my laundry misadventures today (feeling better from the cold I’ve had but washer broke and I absolutely HAD to wash my linens and things since I know they were teeming with cooties, so up/down stairs and in/out of the car to & from the laundrymat. Note to self: say a gratitude prayer for in-home laundry facilities :wink:

Jackie – I wish disco would come back, ahhhhhh Good Times! But even if it does we deserve a new wardrobe (especially you, the way you’ve worked for it) :drinker:

Rori – I’m pretty sure I missed you the last round of “catch up” comments. Here’s knowing you will do an absolutely smashing job on the conference and hope you can enjoy my beautiful San Diego a little bit while you’re there. Lots of fresh seafood options so good healthy stuff is readily available :smile:

Lockmand (Donna) – Welcome and it is NEVER too late to begin the journey to health! You are an inspiration to do so, and you’re right “we can do this awesome thing” :flowerforyou:

JB in Portland – Yes!!!! That’s it exactly, get rid of the stuff and prioritize the closet cleaning versus hiking (rain or no rain) You’ve soooooo got this! :happy:

Twotonnetarice – I agree with you about 30DS and Jillian and the “no excuses” BS, I about killed myself trying to get up/down the floor and back again :blushing:

Linnellal – Welcome to you, and good for you for putting your focus on yourself and your health. You’ll find this to be a really supportive, informative and welcoming group :smile:

Below is a link to an article on quick, easy, healthy snacks I thought was interesting:
    http://www.thedailymuse.com/health/6-healthy-snacks-to-get-you-through-the-workday/

Brooke from Colorado
  • kim2walker
    kim2walker Posts: 52 Member
    Lin; I am so happy for you; your joy shines through your words and acts as fantastic inspiration for me. Thanks so much for posting it really gives me more motivation to keep going.

Barbie.. I am certainly with you with the abstinence; remember Butter IS the enemy ( 48 hours now… yes I am counting)

DeeDee I cleaned out my wardrobe too; it wasn’t easy there were 5 sizes of clothes! I packed all those that don’t fit ( after recycling out-of date garments) and was left with about 10 outfits.. I will revisit the smaller clothes in 2 months. Also cleaned out the underwear drawer.. not a pretty sight… over 30 bras ranging from 34B to 44 E with only 3 that fit (barely). What a waste of money! But a useful exercise I think.

BetsieP Sisters have a special bond. I can’t even begin to know what you must be feeling. I have only just joined this group but I can already feel that this could be a way for you find your way. Best wishes.

Jjccd; good luck with the surgery

Oh joy! The snow melted yesterday! I can walk without slipping on my **** ( that’s British English for***) . On the other hand there now absolutely no excuse for skimping on the walking ( moderate; walking the dog .. but without the dog :smile: )

Also want to boast.. Today I finished day 10 of 30 day shred, with only a slight rest in the middle ! Hey! I like to blame my need for the rest in the cardio section on the boobs… I am sure I am bruising something even wearing 2 bras…… My son is also impressed with my progress and commitment, my DH just raised an eyebrow; not actually sure what that meant.

I go back to work on Monday so I’m a bit worried that I won’t have as much time to do the exercise and plan the meals. I have found a parking place about 10-15 minutes walk away from the school so I will get some of the walking minutes, but not all

Does anyone know how many ladies actually post on this group? Does anyone keep a record.. there are so many.. fantastic.

Time for bed;
    Kim (Brit) living in Switzerland
  • kim2walker
    kim2walker Posts: 52 Member
    Oh forgot; I have found a new oil; that great for adding flavour. Rape seed oil ( canola) with lemon grass and ginger... fantastic! . I have tried it with chicken and pork fillet so far, as a marinade, but is intended to be used as a stirfry "wok oil" It's quite strong so you only need a very small amount.

Anyone in Switzerland its at the Co-op brand Sabo

melsauntie definitely one for you... if you can find the brand.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Hi beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I changed my profile pic to show everyone the cute mug my friend Katla sent me! This will be my bossing the boys at Starbucks mug:laugh: ! I love it!!!!
    Thanks Katla!!!!

Got to take the doggy out for one more short walk, and it`s COLD and it`s RAINING:angry::sad: !!!! We even had sleet today, it covered my back deck:noway: , I think we need to have a talk with Mother Nature:tongue: !

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy and cold NC:sad:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Hi All,
    My word the sun showed her face today but I think the wind smacked her one, it wasn't very warm...come on green grass...birds start singing...froggies peeping...spring is crawling along our way at last :drinker:
    I found with myself I was never satisfied with my body size....under 50... I kept pretty thin...over 50... the weight bloated up like a hot air balloon..I still don't think I can throw my clothes that are bigger out..because I do not trust myself to keep it off :blushing:
    Katla..your metabolism has came back :noway: ..if you see any crawling along out there send her home...
    Donna155...I like your goals and I am sure you will make each one...
    I am looking forward to seeing my sister on Monday...this is a second sister that has had to fight cancer..my first sister didn't make it but she got 7 yrs before it took her....this sister is just beginning the battle and I pray I can do something to help her thru it...
    I hope all you wonderful ladies have a *less* calorie day..and any in pain..a *less* pain day

Take Care
    Liz:flowerforyou:
  • Bump
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Marking my spot. Thanks you all for so many interesting and helpful stories.
    Marcia
    N Virginia
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi vitamin F pals! It was a beautiful day here in the 60s and tomorrow in the 70s before heading back down to near freezing again. We did service learning at the Southern Sudan Community Association today and taught emergency information to the students. In their countries, people in uniform busting into houses is a scary thing, so this is always a popular topic. I am feeling a little better today but maybe that’s because I am maximally medicated!

I have an adjunct faculty I wish we would just fire. I found out today that she has not completed the mandatory computer training for the computer system upgrade at the hospital. Staff who didn’t do it can’t work so I was hoping this would be the end of her, but there is another adjunct who hasn’t done it but she’s very good otherwise, so they arranged another training session for the two of them. Grrrrr. I have to meet with her tomorrow to address all the complaints that the floor nurses have had about her. What fun!

I got my prize for getting to 100 points at work…a pedometer! Yay!

Jodios: doing the happy dance with you!

Bea: yes, your son could have developed new allergies over the years since he was last tested.

Kandy: great job for getting out there and adding some activity!

Katla: how wonderful for your former student to talk to you and remember you. That must have made you feel great!

Janie: keep moving! Yes yes yes!

Barbie: well my pedometer won’t reach your levels, but I’m going to try my best to match you!

Blisterlamb: hope you are feeling better soon!

Rori: keep up your good work!

Michele: so sorry Brian is being such a pain right now. I hope he comes around and sees your point of view.

Lisa: great nsv!

Amanda: we still are having our cool weather too. In fact we had snow on the ground when we woke up on Easter!

Charovnitza; congratulations! Great nsv for you!

Brooke: get to feeling better soon!

Laura: I love Mongolian bbq but here you can eat as much as you want, so you can go back over and over. I like the veggies too!

Carlotta: welcome!

Cdnmarathon: welcome to you too!

Grandmallie: yahoo for fitting into those clothes!

Jackie: wish I could answer you….I still wear my big pants! 

Mary: welcome to the group!

Robin: all fingers and toes are crossed and I’ll wear my jammies inside out too!

Linnellal: welcome!

Kim: congrats on getting through the shred! And thanks for the Brit translation! 

Well dinner is about ready, so I’m off. I forgot to say that I’m proud of you all for posting your goals. I find that when I do that, I sabotage myself. But as soon as I feel better I’ll get back on the exercise! And yes I’ll take the dreaded vitamin C. It’s not the pills I don’t like, it’s that I keep reading research studies about how vitamins are such a waste of money. Hmmmmmm well I’m taking them now! Take care Meg in sort of nice weather Omaha