Avocados - I love them, but their so high in calories?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?

Good question ?

Leave the pit in and wrap it in foil or put in a plastic bag.

You can even put the pit in your guac to keep it from turning brown.

Avocados are good brain food. My preference is to pour red wine vinegar in where the pit was and eat with a spoon, but I will settle with a couple of slices with my egg, tomatoes and toast in the morning.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I eat about half an avocado or more every day. They're a good source of GOOD fats. I also just read a few articles about avocados today because I was curious. They have both (?) types of fiber, and make you feel fuller, which I have definitely noticed on my own. And they're full of vitamins. They have also been shown to increase absorption of other nutrients when you add them to your food (salads!), they lower blood pressure and since they're full of fiber they are great for digestion.

Eat away! The calories are worth it.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had half an avocado with my lunch today- Chili lime shrimp salad with avocado and mango over shirataki noodles.

Avocados are high in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs), which are also found in olives, seeds, nuts, certain vegetable oils, and chocolate (the dark or semi-sweet kind). MUFAs can help to reduce both subcutaneous and visceral belly fat- subcutaneous is the kind you can see, but the visceral is the bad kind- it is stored in the abdominal cavity in between the organs and ups your chances of heart disease. Eating these foods in moderation (just like everything else) is not only good for your nutrition, but they help your hair, skin, and nails stay strong and healthy as well as helping to keep you 'regular'. Avocados also have a good amount of fiber and potassium, as others have mentioned.

They're an excellent replacement (both texture and taste-wise) for mayo and are chock full of vitamins. Even though they are calorie-dense, you can easily fit them into your macros and get the added benefits.

Plus, I think they're delicious!! Enjoy your avocado!! :drinker:
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat a 1/4 to 1/2 of one almost every day!. I smash it up and put it on my sandwiches instead of mayo. Delish!!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I ate a whole one yesterday, and it fit into my goals easily. 1/4 of it in a sandwich for lunch, then the rest mashed up in guacamole with salsa at dinner! Delicious.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?
    I usually eat the next half the next day so it's not a huge problem. But you can sprinkle lemon juice on the exposed part and wrap it in plastic and it's good to go!
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

I feed it to my kids. They love it! But if I have extra avocado, I chop it up and store it in a glass container with a lid in the fridge for a day or so.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I definitely love avocados, they are worth fitting into your day. Sometimes I have avocado on toast with lemon and salt for lunch. I love guacamole. I make salad dressing with them and use them any way I can think of. I tried this recipe this week (without shrimp) and it rocked:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/942547-creamy-avocado-pasta-with-roasted-tomatoes-and-shrimp

I save my unused avocado half by leaving the pit in, dousing the rest with lemon juice. Use it quickly though!

I also started weighing my avocado by grams and I find while they are high in calories the ones I buy must be smaller than the average because by grams they are less than when I enter them as a half an avocado in the database.

Good luck!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Leave the pit in the other half, sprinkle some lemon juice over the exposed parts, and wrap it tightly in saran wrap or in a baggie so that the plastic is touching the exposed avocado as much as possible. If you're willing to scrape off a little bit I can usually get mine to last a couple of days that way....but typically they're gone long before they've turned bad :wink: .
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    To store unused avocado - squeeze lemon juice on the open part and put in container in fridge. Doesn't turn as brown as quickly that way.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use a whole avacado. I use half of one ounce= 25 calories. That is enough to put on my chicken sandwhich orn my turkey BLT, to make my tuna fish with ( i learned that one on here), It is enough to add some punch to one of my wrap creations, etc.... I keep hearing about people using it in smoothies. That sounds a little odd to me but I am curious to try it :happy:

The lemon thing works to keep it fresh. I tried that 2 weeks ago when I tried to forcefully cut open one that wasnt ripe yet. I squirted some lemon juice on the fleshy part, put it in a container in the fridge and it lasted for 1.5 weeks without turning brown. I just sliced away the slightly brown part a few days ago and am still using it :) The lemon works to keep apples from getting brown, too
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole avacado a couple times a week. Excellent snack.
    I dont crave junk after eating one.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm eating paleo and eat an avocado a day...am losing weight. :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have an avocado as part of my dinner quite regularly, I checked the weight, a half without the skin is about 50-60g, so about 200 calories for the whole thing. I have no issue fitting that into my main meal, along with some vegetables and fish. They are incredibly nutritious.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

Thank you. I weep reading these forums sometimes.

Yes thank you, I was so tempted to do it myself lol

I tried but can't change the topic statement - please consider how your comments make me feel. Sorry my error makes you weep. I am new to this .

LOL thats when I start making double the errors. Like this...

So your upsat thatz me use their in da rung contaxt. I sorree. Your rite it was rung to use it that way and me glad u coreketed me youre teechin mes gramer and stuff halps alot. I wont not never say their rung agains. i promise there r ppl where who want to make me smrter. And u halped. Theyre times when I mess up n its people like u who halp me to member to type rite so that other people thier on the compooters canz understans. thanx!

:noway: rofl
    Just love people who think they know it all.

If you know so much why not answer her question?
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I mash mine up, put in a gallon ziplock bag and freeze. Last a few months.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you don't use a whole avocado, then keep the half with the seed still in it in the fridge. Also, they freeze well for smoothies. If you are going to prep a lot at once, freeze them on a cookie sheet and then bag them. The pieces do not come apart easily otherwise...
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

and they're good for you. Eat them. In moderation.

they're ....their...there....we get the point, no need to point it out. Grammardouche.
  • suedenby
    suedenby Posts: 1
    Options
    I discovered quite by accident that if you cover the avocado in tin foil (aluminium foil) the flesh doesn't go brown and will last in the fridge for a couple of days!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

and they're good for you. Eat them. In moderation.
    Is the term "*kitten* hole" good grammar?