Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When i jogged outside in the mornings (long ago), i use to go to the canals/riverside as there were not many crazy *kitten* people staring!!! ... you could if you wanted, just walk - sure it'll take a bit longer to burn up to the jogging calories but it'll look normal!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Knives? Guns? Mace? All illegal in the UK.

Don't run in stupid places. Be aware of secluded corners. Don't be afraid to kick up your heels and run faster if something doesn't feel right. Better you sprint off and be thought of as weird than ignore your spidey sense.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Don't run in stupid places. Be aware of secluded corners. Don't be afraid to kick up your heels and run faster if something doesn't feel right. Better you sprint off and be thought of as weird than ignore your spidey sense.

Sounds like easy pickings for the criminals there. :ohwell:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Options
    The mind boggles.

You'd think so.

Lower rates of robbery

Lower rates of rape

Lower rates of murder
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

This also comes in compression top.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i run the same track it is in a populated area, there is a area along the way it seems a little scary soo i run really quick and take my headphones out so i can hear everything. i do own a treadmill but it sorta boring i like the outside.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.

You'd think so.
    Lower rates of robbery
    Lower rates of rape
    Lower rates of murder

Our knife crime is higher. The few muggings I know of have been at the end of something sharp. Although it's no less terrifying, people do tend to survive being stabbed more often than shot.

Carrying a gun means there is now at least one gun involved in this hypothetical attack, and that increases your likelihood of getting shot by a great deal.
  • Angie1366
    Angie1366 Posts: 85
    Options
    There is nothing you can do about knob heads who pull over in cars.... He was obviously just an ignorant fool.

If you got the compression pants with a gun in them - what would you do - shoot him in the head - a bit excessive for just whooping you and telling you - you look good....

If you had a dog - you were on your lunch break so doubt the dog is at work with you.

What I would do - is have a set route at work. Tell work you are going for your run, and when to expect you back.

Join a group, convince a mate she should come with you... find a running pal....

Wear a tag on your shoe.. we have these tags that have "in case of emergency....." contact details and allergy information.

Run in busy areas.

carry a phone with quick dial emergency services.

Ignore **** heads.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    when I lived in the bay area I always took my dog and a knife.
  • Bxgell2
    Bxgell2 Posts: 30
    Options
    I learned my lesson the hard way - a year and a half ago I was running alone in my neighborhood around 8pm, when a man tried to attack me - successfully fought him off, thankfully, but it scared the everliving crap out of me.

I love running, and I LOVE running alone, but it simply isn't worth the risk to me. I found a running group that I join on the weekends, and on the weekdays I run with a friend, or on the treadmill I bought for my home, or at the gym...
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

^ I want those shorts sooo bad.

I want my butt to look like the one in those shorts!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Why is mace illegal?
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Why is mace illegal?
    They just made "weapons" across the board illegal to carry. Basically anything that is carried solely to cause bodily harm on somebody else I guess.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already but for me, a really important way to stay safe when out walking/jogging alone is.....

LISTEN and OBEY your "instincts"...you know, that Still Small Voice that says..."Don't go this way, go that way" OR "take this way NOT that way, etc. I can't emphasize enough how urgently important listening to "That Still Small Voice (which some call "instinct" is) Also, many bad guys & GALS "hunt" for their victims. You should ALWAYS carry yourself with the "spirit" or attitude of I'm one crazy so and so and PLEASE give me an excuse to kick your natural born tail if you even THINK about messing with me. ALWAYS be alert (not paranoid...but AWARE, and READY to jack someone up if they even dare to approach you in anything less than a polite and kind way). Ya know, the ole I'm a CRAZY B and if you're itching for some trouble, I'll scratch your eyes out and then some! Also have this attitude towards not just "men" but women and even (stray/vicious) dogs and/or wild animals too!

In other words, ALWAYS carry yourself with the "air" of if I'm going down...I'm taking your nothing tail with me and it's going to be a fight for the death--I'm NOT going down...YOU ARE! It's funny how when you carry yourself with this attitude, bad guys and girls and even animal (the four legged kind) can "sense" it and will NOT choose you as their victim, but will instead be looking for someone unawares, someone listening to those blasted ipod thingys, messing with their hand (you know the iphone thingys) someone not paying attention, someone who has an air about them of being an "easy" prey/target. Again, if you carry yourself like I'm so in the mood to kick someone teeth down their throat (ya know, the Clint Eastwood "make my day punk") kind of spirit/attitude, ya know...the don't start none, won't be none--BUT if you start some, IT"S ON way of carrying yourself--you may be just fine walking or running alone.
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the greatest area although a lot of the direct neighborhood is friendly with me but still. I always carry a pocket knife and I usually jog with my dog. He's a black lab/husky mix and although he is a sweetheart, people can find him pretty intimidating
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Why is mace illegal?

Because it can be used as an offensive weapon, I guess.

In any case, despite having done kickboxing and suchlike, so could concievably beat the living crap out of a large proportion of the population, the most important things to keep yourself safe are a) common sense, b) awareness and c) getting out of a situation before it gets nasty.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.

Why is mace illegal?

Because it can be used as an offensive weapon, I guess.

In any case, despite having done kickboxing and suchlike, so could concievably beat the living crap out of a large proportion of the population, the most important things to keep yourself safe are a) common sense, b) awareness and c) getting out of a situation before it gets nasty.

:heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses so I apologize if I'm repeating, but there is an app called "Circle of 6". If something happens to you or creeps you out you can hit the app and it will send out an instant emergency message to your top 6 contacts. It will also tell them where you are. This, along with mace or another form of protection would be smart.

I used to run by myself all the time at a couple of our local parks. Last summer two women were attacked and I haven't gone by myself since. Not by my doing, but my husband's. I live in a small town too, so it was a pretty big deal. When I run either I go by myself in our neighborhood, or my husband or son go with me.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    You have to out-crazy people. Sometimes, when someone is walking towards me, I get a crazy eye going that says "Don't mess with me!"
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1) I jog using my iphone as my music (in hand so I can call someone if need be).
    2) I make sure someone knows where I went and how long I plan on being gone
    3) I make sure not to play music too loud so I can hear if someone comes up behind me
    4) Pepper spray