Diet sodas are not bad after all!!!

Options

Replies

• Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but they are (I used to love them as well and would love for this to be true)! My mother had symptoms of lupus and of diabetes with no risk factors. She went to the doctor and was tested for everything under the sun. Oh and she couldn't eat cheese without her stomach being really messed up. She got her test results back and SURPRISE, nothing was wrong with her but she felt terrible...so why? Because she was drinking about 5 diet cokes a day...she has stopped for the past few weeks and she is back to normal...don't tell me they aren't bad! She was also losing her memory and scarey stuff like that...not anymore. I stopped drinking them and stopped having headaches and my head was more clear and I was thinking faster and clearer. Sorry but this is untrue. Please don't fall victim.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but they are (I used to love them as well and would love for this to be true)! My mother had symptoms of lupus and of diabetes with no risk factors. She went to the doctor and was tested for everything under the sun. Oh and she couldn't eat cheese without her stomach being really messed up. She got her test results back and SURPRISE, nothing was wrong with her but she felt terrible...so why? Because she was drinking about 5 diet cokes a day...she has stopped for the past few weeks and she is back to normal...don't tell me they aren't bad! She was also losing her memory and scarey stuff like that...not anymore. I stopped drinking them and stopped having headaches and my head was more clear and I was thinking faster and clearer. Sorry but this is untrue. Please don't fall victim.

n=2

solid sample size
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Why is diet soda being discussed on a food and nutrition forum? It is neither and shouldn't belong here.

I'm glad you found an article to justify your addiction to diet soda. Enjoy.
    Lol, it's consumed as a drink, so discussing it is appropriate. I've drank it for 25 years and have justified from my personal use, scientific studies and my physicals that it's fine in moderation. Rather drink it than get hooked on a higher calorie drink. but thanks for letting us know that you're much better than everyone else here.:noway:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Um, aspartame? Just because it doesn't make you fat doesn't mean it's not bad for you....
    Better give up citrus fruit since it's turns into formaldehyde in the body then.................:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    2i269u9.jpg
    lol....
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Um, aspartame? Just because it doesn't make you fat doesn't mean it's not bad for you....
    Better give up citrus fruit since it's turns into formaldehyde in the body then.................:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

Vitamin F? Pretty sure thats in my multi.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not ALL people are "safe" from it. Some have reactions, but for the general population, it's not been deemed harmful if taken in moderation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This topic again...always a cycle
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Why is diet soda being discussed on a food and nutrition forum? It is neither and shouldn't belong here.

^^^^ This. If you are serious about dieting and getting your health in order... WHY ARE YOU STILL DRINKING SODA?! No Soda is "okay" for you. End of story.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i usaly have a glass of pepsi zero when i have sweet gravings could be the placebo effect but it helps me for no calories
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Still a lot worse than plain water.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There are studies to suggest that aspartame in diet sodas are linked to neurological deficits (ex: blindness). For every study that says, "Just joking guys, it's okay!" You find another study that says the opposite. I'd rather have real sugar and count the calories than a chemical-laden beverage into my body...
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation is ok. I still wouldn't drink them all of the time though because I'm sure we can all agree that they are not good for you. Every once in awhile as a treat I think would be ok. Personally I can't drink them as the artificial sweeteners give me terrible headaches.
  • Icedrgn
    Icedrgn Posts: 17
    Options
    Diet soda is bad because of excitotoxins. Sorry to rain on the parade.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options

This is a little rude...but is also truthful. Why drink the soda if your body doesn't need it? Why not water? But then again...water is all I drink.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    There are studies to suggest that aspartame in diet sodas are linked to neurological deficits (ex: blindness).

last i checked: suggest =/= prove
  • MsDmeanor
    Options
    If you actually believe that then you need to have a look at the FDA info on aspartame and what it does inside your body.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000205.txt
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I have yet to see one reliable source that proves it is bad for humans. Over and over again it has been shown to be safe in moderate amounts.

Clearly you haven't done enough research. That or you work for Monsanto.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    All these studies are poorly done. There was no controls for other dietary factors. You'd need a larger sample of people with everyone in the study accurately recording every single thing they eat and drink for the length of the study and someone who can analyze the data without prejudice to get real results. Not gonna happen.

If you tolerate diet soda, are not concerned about the acid effect on your tooth enamel, and it helps you to eat less calorie-laden food, then have some in moderation. If your aim is to keep your body as free of unnecessary chemicals as possilbe, then say no thanks.

It's not a big issue but peole get passionate about what they want and find ways to defend their choices. Human nature.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you actually believe that then you need to have a look at the FDA info on aspartame and what it does inside your body.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000205.txt

Unfortunately the FDA isn't a good source to rely on for your health information. Sorry! I hate it too.

"Did you know more people die from food poisoning every year in the US than were killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks? And nothing is being done about it."
    http://www.onearth.org/article/out-to-lunch