Eating healthy turned me into a food snob

Options
Just wondering if anybody has experienced this/noticed this in themselves since changing the way they eat. I used to eat some of the worst stuff, sweets whenever I wanted them, yknow. but now that I don't since I realized how bad my eating habits were affecting me, I tend to judge other people's. I think that unfortunately I just tend to be judgemental, which is one of my worst qualities, but when I see someone eating something that I wouldn't, sometimes I almost feel superior to them and I kind of hate it. I would never say anything, I know it's none of my business, but I definitely pay attention to what other people eat more than I used to. Like the other day I saw someone eat a bagel and 2 donuts from dunkin donuts in 10 minutes and just kind of stared. I definitely don't like this change (because I don't want to be a health snob, I want to be accepting of whatever people want to do) but I'm just wondering if you guys have done the same? Maybe I'm just jealous because I subconsciously want to eat a box of donuts. I dont know lol.

Replies

• AlyssainNC
    AlyssainNC Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same way. Give me rich high quality dark chocolate instead of chalky fake milk chocolate any day! I love eating real food! I am naturally judgmental as well and when I'm on the path of healthy eating and fitness I tend to forget that we all have our weaknesses and struggles.
  • Evebwahurn
    Evebwahurn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. I've lost 40 lbs and now I have my ''I'm a saint, you're doing everything wrong!'' moments... It's really affecting my relationship with my boyfriend who kind of eats mindlessly! I keep picking him apart and yet I'm not perfect at all and I still eat a lot of crap. :/ I wish dieting was less obsessive!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I think we all do, to a point. I'm ever conscious of not forgetting where I came from...so much so that I forget where I am now at times lol
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me it's more that I prefer good food to crap. Not necessarily healthier stuff- like if I want mac and cheese I'd rather just make it then open a box w/ neon goo. Or instead of opening a can I'd rather steam fresh if I have it. Or I'd rather make cookies than buy a box of cookies- unless it's like mint cream oreos lol.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? I'm sure there's foods you consume that another would consider beneath them.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly like this about myself, if we're out and we need to get lunch or a snack I'm so picky and make a fuss that there's nothing healthy or fresh enough to eat.

My other thing is looking at what others have bought food wise whilst waiting at the check out, i see bottles of soda and processed ready meals and think hmm
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For me it's more that I prefer good food to crap. Not necessarily healthier stuff- like if I want mac and cheese I'd rather just make it then open a box w/ neon goo. Or instead of opening a can I'd rather steam fresh if I have it. Or I'd rather make cookies than buy a box of cookies- unless it's like mint cream oreos lol.
    I've noticed this as well. If I ever think "hmmm... I want a piece of candy" i realize I actually don't- it just doesn't feel worth it anymore. I don't really enjoy sweets as much as I used to both because I know I could be eating actual FOOD instead, and also because I'm not satisfied. I'll have to disagree with you on the mac and cheese though- I will always love the neon goo.
  • Clement1ne
    Options

LOL "unless it's like mint cream oreos" Too funny!

But ya, in all seriousness I'd have to agree... I see a lot of people of all sizes eating poutine, for example... (I live in Quebec, Canada, lol, so it's only by natural human nature to eat poutine, but I'm from ONTARIO so I never got hooked!!!), and I'm just like, "wow, I have no idea how they can eat that". I see it as total sabotage to all my efforts.

*In case you don't know what poutine is (and there's nothing wrong with that): a generous bowl of French Fries, topped with succulent fatty gravy, and white cheddar cheese curds.

Emmalee :smile:
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    People are designed to notice specific things they once did not pay attention to once it becomes made aware of or inportant to them. For instance, we may never have noticed a certain car, but as soon as we buy one or see a car commercial for them, we see them all over the road. And if we begin changing our own bad habits by eating healthier, we tend to notice the poorer decisions of others. We may or may not criticize others for these decisions, but we definitely notice them.
  • Infauna
    Infauna Posts: 89
    Options
    That's so ridiculous. Not eating a piece of cake or an oreo cookie doesn't make you better than someone else. Why does it matter what someone else puts into their body anyways? It's not really any of your business, worry about yourself. Maybe that's all the person had to eat that day, maybe they had a bad day and were emotionally eating (which everyone has done at one point), maybe they just wanted to eat those things because they were craving it.

It's stupid to feel superior to someone because you are eating "healthier" than them. It doesn't make you look superior, it makes you look like an a**.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have almost the opposite problem. From time to time, I'll have a day off (but never going above maintenance cals too much), or I'll work some desserts into my cals ... and then I catch myself worrying what other people will think when they see me enjoying a cookie or that slice of chocolate cake ^_^;;; Like "How can she claim to be eating healthy?? Look at her scarfing down that cookie!" ...
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just like good food - I respect others choices, but I find myself being critical of MYSELF if I make less than optimal choices when I'm at the store. Like, I went shopping the other day and my one downfall is I never plan for snacks which invariably leads me to eat more than I really should or want to at my main meals. So I went shopping with the intention to buy healthy stuff and for the first time I actually walked out with things that I felt good about. I don't tend to pay much attention to what other people do... I'm quite ambivalent in that respect. I'd hate for people to judge me - my problem is I'm my own harshest critic!

My advice would be just concentrate on what you're doing and be happy with yourself. Don't let something positive turn into something negative!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same way. Give me rich high quality dark chocolate instead of chalky fake milk chocolate any day! I love eating real food! I am naturally judgmental as well and when I'm on the path of healthy eating and fitness I tend to forget that we all have our weaknesses and struggles.

fake milk chocolate ???
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    That's so ridiculous. Not eating a piece of cake or an oreo cookie doesn't make you better than someone else. Why does it matter what someone else puts into their body anyways? It's not really any of your business, worry about yourself. Maybe that's all the person had to eat that day, maybe they had a bad day and were emotionally eating (which everyone has done at one point), maybe they just wanted to eat those things because they were craving it.

It's stupid to feel superior to someone because you are eating "healthier" than them. It doesn't make you look superior, it makes you look like an a**.

I think you missed her point....:huh:
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    I suffer from this a little too. But I see is as a displacement for a conversation with my old self. Likewise I would never interfere with a stranger's choices, because actually all I'm doing is recognising in them how I used to be.

So don't sweat it ... :D
  • I don't care what people eat but I hate Mc Donalds and always wonder how they are always so busy when I drive by one
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    A lot of people notice bad habbits I others when they start to eat healthier. This is normal. However the feeling of superiority is just a waste of time.

1. You are NOT superior
    2. The people you judge don't care that you feel superior
    3. It is a long bumpy fall down off the high horse

^^^ this is what I tell myself when I think for one minute I am better than someone else for any reason.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. I sort of became that way and it's hard at times. Ignore what another poster said, it's human nature. You feel as though you've found the "light" and are stunned that not everyone has. "HOW can they think stuffing their face with chocolate is okay?! don't they know about the horrible ingredients in that?!" are some common things to think. If you're passionate about something, you want to share it with the world, naturally.

I just try my best not to say anything, keep my opinions to myself, and focus on me. I slip sometimes and say something to my family members (although, one in particular is ALWAYS complaining that she wants to lose weight, and follows up the statement with 20 cookies and 4 chocolate bars in one day plus a litre of pop, so its extremely hard NOT to call her out on it)

I had a break down a few weeks ago over it. I felt like my weight loss transformed me into a judgmental monster. I realize this is actually pretty common, and as long as you remain respectful and only talk about nutrition/healthy vs. unhealthy when the topic is actually brought up by another person or in a conversation. Never say anything out of the blue.

It's also difficult to deal with when people try to give me "diet advice", and are wrong/misguided and then ARGUE with me when I attempt to tell them those are just myths. my thoughts were "EVIDENTLY I understand nutrition and how to lose weight, how else would I have lost all of it?!" It took all my strength not to launch into a full scale fitness-health-knowitall rant on them. I know it sounds bad, but in the moment it was just infuriating.

Anyways, keep control of yourself and try to remind yourself whenever you feel yourself looking down on someone for their choices that you were there once, and that they just haven't had their moment. You can't change them, and you can't make them see the "light". As long as they don't affect you, try to keep your head straight :)
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    A lot of people notice bad habbits I others when they start to eat healthier. This is normal. However the feeling of superiority is just a waste of time.

1. You are NOT superior
    2. The people you judge don't care that you feel superior
    3. It is a long bumpy fall down off the high horse

^^^ this is what I tell myself when I think for one minute I am better than someone else for any reason.

These things too! I don't usually feel superior, just that I feel like I have this knowledge that they NEED me to help them understand. Ridiculous, right? I think I need to start repeating these things to myself as well :P