What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    A lovely warm bath has always been my personal pick me up and now, because I displace so much less water, I can have it deeper so there is a lot more water than there is me and it feels fantastic !

I've totally noticed this too! My tummy used to stick up out of the top of the bath water and now I can totally submerge.

I'm only about 2/3 of the way to goal (50lbs so far) but I find myself most surprised by the difference in people interactions:

- As a very large woman, I used to get lots of attention from men (cat calls and such). Now as I am slightly overweight, I get none. It's as if I am too small to be approachable, but not small enough to be attractive. Either that, or there is a much bigger percentage of chubby chasers than movies/TV/magazines would lead you to believe.

- People now give me permission to be annoyed or in a bad mood. When I was bigger, if I was unhappy with something --such as a ridiculously long line at a store-- people would roll their eyes, turn away from me or make a face. Now, they agree and commiserate. It's like people are willing to be seen agreeing with me. This happens in work/business situations too.

- When I smile at someone on the street, they smile back. Previously, a lot of people --especially women-- would turn away.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm .....

- Rediscovered my ribs
    - Looking good in "skinny" jeans ....... donated the sweatpants
    - Found out some friends were not really friends ..... dumped them .....
    - My knees don't hurt half as much ...... and the sciatica went away
    - Realized that I actually LIKED exercising
    - My husband also started to lose weight, so did my mom
    - It's much easier using a public restroom now
    - My two coworkers also lost weight
    - And my boss bought us all new scrubs !

:happy:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Soxgirl97
    Soxgirl97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm only about 6 weeks into my journey and I've lost about 7 lbs but I already have something to add! I have not had a problem with acid reflux since I quit fast food and started eating healthier. I used to wake up at least once a week with horrible acid reflux. It was miserable. Now if I have it at all it's very minimal and will go away with Tums.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise is how I am treated differently by other people. You don't realize how much you're discriminated until you lose the weight.

i second this 100%!!!!

years ago, i lost 65 pounds, and saw this to be very true.

along these lines: when i lost that weight, and as i am losing now, i have this fierce loyalty to my old "fat self" and fat brothers and sisters around the world. as in, i become the only skinny girl who will tear someone a new *kitten*-hole if they make any jibes at fat people, or weight jokes, etc

as much as u enjoy thin priviledge once u experience it, it makes u greive all the more for all the size discrimination u endured, and that others endure.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's been 14 months since I began my quest. I have been weightlifting since the beginning, with not much cardio due to my knee being bone-to-bone and needing a replacement.

My unexpected surprise happened only this weekend, my libido went through the roof!! - I was hoping it would happen as I had read other people say how theirs had come back, and now mine looks like it has at last. I am like an inquisitive teenager again!! :blushing: I have been married 30 years this year so this is an unexpected and welcome Bonus! :drinker:

My self esteem was always high and I have been fortunate to never lack in confidence. But now both those things have also increased - I have an inner confidence which comes with knowing I am doing the best for my body and looking after it properly at last, and I LOVE my new muscle tone which is coming through the disappearing flab.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise is how many foods I have fell in love with that before I would have snarled my nose up at when told to try. I also am amazed that I have developed a love for running and working out.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My unexpected surprise happened only this weekend, my libido went through the roof!!

I bet your husband is not complaining :laugh:
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 50lbs and I wasn't really expecting surprises, but they've definitely happened. Biggest one for me is how cold I get now!! I used to laugh at my mom (who is tiny) about always having a sweater even in the middle of summer but I am sorry for laughing at her because I carry one now too!!! Feeling my ribs and hip bones and collar bone has been a big one too. My boyfriend has also lost weight and he can wrap his arms all the way around me now. The first time I realized it I was like woah!! We can also comfortably walk side by side now with our arms around each other. And I used to worry about fitting in seats at coliseums and stadiums and places like that but not now!! And I have room in booths at restaurants. I feel like some of these things are common sense (like duh you lost weight, you got smaller) but when you realize them, especially when you sometimes have a hard time seeing the loss, it is surprising.

I'm sorry for the people who have had negative surprises and comments from "friends". All of mine have been positive. I did get a funny one. I walked back into a place a used to bartend at and some of my old regulars were there. These guys used to like my for my butt and curves and thought I was fine as is (50lbs heavier). I got a lot of jaw drop reactions and was told I looked good but didn't need to get any skinnier haha. I hadn't lost probably 40 lbs at that point.
  • lmo0183
    lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump, I would love to read this all later!
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Strangest thing for me is my feet shrank! I didn't know that could happen. I used to wear a size 7-7 1/2 but am now a true 6 1/2! I also find shaving around my ankles incredibly more difficult now that the bones protrude more so now! lol
  • kplitvin
    kplitvin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    im halfway to the goal but what i´ve noticed is how i am always cold on my feet, and i still look in the mirrow and cant see that i´ve got smaller (i´ve lost 45 lbs) and that makes me soooo sad, but hopefully sometime i can see it.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    Sex drive going through the roof.

Pity I'm single. Somebody would be a seriously happy man otherwise.

I was just thinking along those lines today at the gym. Finished a set toward the end of my workout and suddenly really wanted a woman, too bad I'm single because she would be having a great time about now :-)
  • Streamlinedforlife
    Options
    People are nicer to me and i feel much more confident when walking into a room.
  • kitsiekitty
    kitsiekitty Posts: 166
    Options
    - confidence level BOOST! xD
    - lying down and being able to feel my hip bones and my ribs and a large crater in the middle. ALSO, collarbones<3
    - so cold. it gets so cold so easily now. D:
    - shopping. i used to not be able to fit in a lot of pretty clothes, and now i'm buying everything in sight. ... on hindsight, maybe not so good. xD
    - becoming obsessed with food, but not scared of it. i stil eat, but way more healthily
    - exercise. D: i've always hated sweating, and now i love the feeling of being bone tired and dropping to sleep after a harrowing workout. its the best feeling ever. <3
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's a nice problem to have but I have just as hard a time finding shirts that fit properly these days as I did when I was pushing 300 lbs. Now that I have gone from XXL to M and have been building a lot of upper body muscle, medium shirts fit nicely everywhere but the upper arms and chest. They're too tight in the biceps, chest and shoulders but fit perfectly in the waist and lower chest and the length is perfect. If I go to a large, I swim in it.

I'm glad to have that problem, though. :)
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just getting started (12kg gone) but so far:

* The drawstring on tracksuit pants serves an important function! I've never had a pair that needed more than the elastic waist and my hips to stay firmly in place; now I have to tie them up before exercising.

* The speed-limiting factor when you run can be how fast your legs can move, not how long you can last with your lungs feeling like they're going to burst.

* Coke really *is* sickeningly sweet

* I can have a treat, just eat part of it, save the rest for tomorrow and feel satisfied.

Agree with the others who said this is a great thread; keep the stories coming.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sex drive going through the roof.

Pity I'm single. Somebody would be a seriously happy man otherwise.

God almighty, I'm the same way and I've only lost 13 pounds. My self confidence is soaring through the roof right now, so my sex drive is also soaring. My fiance can't keep up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!