PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    this thread was ressurected twice!! take that jesus!!!
    Well, we should all worship The Squat!
    Shouldn't that be the creator of The Squat? Are we worshiping babies now? I thought most people already did that?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't that be the creator of The Squat? Are we worshiping babies now? I thought most people already did that?
    The Squat was not created, It simply exists. Don't question The Squat.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

im pear shaped and i love my big thighs!! they are sexy
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    F that I'm going to convince everyone to worship my snatch instead.
    I could definitely see that happen. Please send me some Snatch literature, and I'll let you know if i am interested in converting to that.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I could definitely see that happen. Please send me some Snatch literature, and I'll let you know if i am interested in converting to that.
    Here you go:
    i_clean_i_jerk_i_have_a_nice_snatch_shirts-r94df9ec0efb247df826f60ff0fad017b_8nhmi_512.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    this makes me want to stop the lunges & squats.. definitely carry most of my fat on my thighs as well.. is there any hope? :cry:

You said it yourself... You carry most of your fat on your thighs. So squats won't make the fat worse. You'll need to lose the fat.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Anyone here about 5'9" shaped like an avocado, that's done squats and had really good results?
    Awesome pic above!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

O hai
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    banned.jpg
  • CoderGal
    Options

O hai
    If you're here to worship my snatch bend over and spread your...arms....and pick up that barbell...
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    LIEK OH EM GEE AN INCH?!?!?!

Stop having unrealistic expectations. I doubt anyone is going to see 1" of a difference.

almost peed myself, thanks for the laugh
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So you embarked on exercises that are famous for building muscle in your calves and thighs and now you're upset because you've built muscle in your calves and thighs?

It's most likely water retention, first and foremost. You're freaking out over nothing.

The best way to lose all over body fat is cardio, in my opinion. It works for me. Others have said it and I'll say it again: you cannot spot reduce. Also, it has nothing to do with your fruit shape.

If you're not interested in building muscle, I would recommend not doing muscle building exercises. I know I sound like a jerk, but I figured this was a common sense sort of thing.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Im not a pear....honestly Im not sure how youd describe my shape but ive gained an inch in both my thighs and its muscle and its sexy and im damn proud of my legs so my question is exactly what are you complaining about.....you don't like muscle???

Hey miss lovely lifter, NOT EVERYONE has the same interests as you. Some want to be really thin. So put a cap on it.

New meat is feisty...

Fine. Stop lifting. Try eating as little as possible. Don't do this for your health, do this for a number on the scale. You'll look awful most likely and you'll have no energy, but hey you won't have to freak out about temporarily gaining 1 inch.

OR keep lifting and start appreciating your body. You decide.

^ This....
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It happens, but if you continue (since weight loss isn't just a month and a half ordeal), they will slim down. You can't base it being non effective since you've only done it a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this

yes.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    how long have you been doing them? it might be stored water for repair

I doubt this.

I've been doing squats & lunges for about over a month and a half... along with running on the treadmill. I do not eat anything "processed" either.. I eat healthy and cut out bread, pasta, junk food, sweets, all the bad stuff.

You gained an inch of muscle in a month? Impressive.

And what does it matter if you don't eat anything processed you can still put on weight eating so called clean foods

Oh and body somatypes are pseudoscientific nonsense people use as an excuse imo

NO LIE!!!! I've only gained a pound of muscle in my body composition during a 10 week lifting program....for upper and lower. **** man if I could build muscle that fast! :huh:
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    Im pear shaped too and running, squats, etc make me huge. I do 5 minute legs by envy girls off of youtube every day apart from one in the week and the fat has come off the inside of my thighs and my 'saddle bags' the bit at the back at the top of my thighs. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Very light strength training and often.

Sorry if this doesnt work but its the only thing that has taken the inches off for me!
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Also, it has nothing to do with your fruit shape.

LMAOOOO:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i wish i had an *kitten* and thighs like yours.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Muscles are bigger so what did you think would happen? Cardio is better for losing fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would like the note that this thread is stupid, and was posted 05/09/12.