So here it is, all the honesty I can muster

Options

Replies

• kitcatsheart
    kitcatsheart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love your honest and I actually loved reading your story. I'm trying to tighten up a lot of aspects of my life as well. Its hard and stressful to think about but I think it's important to remember how you feel now and use it. I'm not going to lie I get resentful of people who can eat what ever they want and look like they're starving my partner and I thoroughly enjoy food together and it's hard to have to change things up but luckily it seems like we both have very supportive people in our lives. I think we can do this :)
  • jodiedawn21
    Options
    It's like being an alcoholic you have to admit you have a problem so you are able to take the next step, you have done that :-) your honesty is brilliant! Welcome to the rest of your life as a healthy individual :-)
  • JLgettinghealthy
    JLgettinghealthy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    reading this, i was literally thinking "oh my god, get out of my head!" because it sounds exactly like something i should have written. i hate things that don't come easy - and with 100+ pounds to lose, weight loss most certainly does not come easy to me. hang in there - we are rooting for you!
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. When I started at the gym (in November) I could barely walk 1/2 mile in 30 mins. I wore loose fitting yoga pants so that my thighs wouldn't rub and pull the shorts up, I didn't get the chaffing, and no one could see the fat jiggling under them. I would go to the YMCA and see all these little skinny girls who didn't look like they needed to work out one bit and there I was just a mess. I decided to make a change and not care what anyone thought. Go to the gym, plug in your headphones, there's no need to talk to anyone and just block out the outside world. After a while, your body will actually crave a workout. I know it sounds crazy, but it will. You are an awesome lady to put this out there, just don't give up. You can do this!
  • Jessicupcake20
    Options
    I want to start by saying you are beautiful! so you needed a break, been there. Everyday its going to get a little bit easier, i have all the faith that you can do whatever you put your mind to. It is so inspiring that you share your story and deepest thoughts with us, who struggle with similar things.
  • jenevakay
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself that you begin to feel hopeless, and get into a self-defeating cycle. You'd be surprised how quickly you can bounce into a new routine. Don't push yourself to huffing and feeling awful at the gym. Just tart with short walks and get your body used to being on the move. Before you know it, you're walking longer, without feeling as worn out. The biggest mistake, in my estimation, is expecting so much of yourself that you give up. I'm not saying have little goals, I'm saying that you have to crawl before you can walk. Even marathon runners have to work up to it with training. Most importantly, love yourself as you are now, and know that you're working on being better for you. Once you cross the bridge of loving yourself, whatever you do to better yourself is just more of a push towards your goals. If you don't love yourself now, no matter what your weight is, you will always find yourself to be unfulfilled regardless of the amount of weight loss. Be your own kind of beautiful! I wish you the best!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The girl you see laughing on the elliptical worked her way up to that. So will you.

I totally agree with this statement and could not have said it better myself. When I started this a little over a year ago I was the one who could not walk a mile and a half without being out of breath...damn, probably closer to a mile. It takes nerve to go the gym and accept where you are in regards to others. I still have to conquer somethings physically such as running which took a bit of getting used to. I can now run 3 miles without stopping, do 25 push-ups in a row and do sit-ups like they are going out of style.

You will get there as long as you put your mind to it and do not give up! Changing everything at once can be a disaster sometimes so you may want to go bit by bit such as eliminating sodas one week, then fried food the next, etc. I tried it all at once and it backfired.

I wish you the best and you can friend me because I am one of those people with a skinny husband that can't gain weight either.

By the way, 95% of the time the people in the gym are either as intimidated as you or are completely zoning out.(In my experience at the gym anyway....it used to put the fear in me too) Good luck and you can do it!
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The good news is that it is a winnable fight. Lots of people on here have done it and they are as lazy if not lazier than you are (I count myself among them).

Once you make it a priority, you will make progress. I'll tell you the one thing that I did in the beginning that made the most difference.

I picked one meal and exhibited discipline around meal while maintaining consistency elsewhere. For me, it started with breakfast. For breakfast each morning for two weeks, I said goodbye to bagels and pancakes and muffins (God, I love me some muffins) and buttered toast with jelly and etc and alternated between one of the following two meals: (i) one boiled egg and two slices of bacon with coffee or (ii) one cup of special K cereal with skim milk and coffee. I dropped about 4 lbs in two weeks and was off and running.

Not sure if something like this would work for you, but the key, I think, is not to try to entirely restructure your life right away, but rather to set smaller goals and stick to them. Then, with that tailwind, you can start to build on those successes.

Anyway, good luck to you! Looking forward to seeing your "after" pictures.
  • lynnvalenz
    Options
    Every body is different but there are two things that are true for everyone. A healthy diet and excercise are the best ways to improve your health which is what it should really be about. I, too, am a lazy person and many of us are but improvement can't be made sitting on the couch all day. You have to get moving even if you start off with just ten minutes a day. After a while your body will feel like it can do more and you will feel so proud of yourself. One of the things I do to help me get ready for the day and for my work out is I drink water as soon as I get up and then eat a well balanced breakfast. I'm not one who can work out on an empty stomach. Water is also one way that keeps me from eating unhealthy snacks but if the urge is that bad then I will have that one cookie just to satisfy the craving. I used to have a gym memebership but gave it up and now I work out more at home than I did there. I invested in a treadmill from HSN. I also work out to the "FREE" Jillian Michaels videos on you tube and while they may be a bit old they do make you sweat. I love it because I can turn up the music and be in my own little world without worrying about any one else. Now if I ever get bored on the treadmill, I will turn on the Wii and get jiggy with it playing Just Dance or I will go to the park for a walk. Key is that I try to keep myself from being sedetary all day. We all at times feel like we can't do something but it's not until you try and I mean really try that you realize just how strong you really are. JUST KEEP REPEATING TO YOURSELF, "I CAN AND I WILL DO IT!", tell that little NEGATIVE voice in your head to go to hell because it isn't welcome! God Bless.:smile:
  • LynnMartin78
    LynnMartin78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love your honesty. It was like I was reading about myself. I am also 5'9. i am 35 years old. At the beginning of the year I was at my heaviest = 233 pounds. I currently weigh 219.5 pounds now and am hoping to get to 185 by end of the year. I gained 98 pounds since graduation more than 15 years ago. When I turned 30 years old I gained most of my weight. I was 165lbs for my mid twenties and felt great and looked healthy. But then I met my bf who is a 6'3 bean pole and eats anything he wants.....I followed his eating habits and quickly gained 68 pounds (most of that when I hit 30 years of age). I am also a lazy person. Very very very very lazy. I find excerise to be stressful and get no enjoyment from it. I also smoke so that doesn't help in the excercise categroy.

I hate going to the gym, all the skinny girls running laps on the treadmill make me angry.....but they also motivate me. Once I am at the gym I have no issues really, and feel so great after. My problem is getting off my lazy butt to even go to the gym. I would rather sit on my couch and watch TV or read a book than do exercise. If someone could just kick my butt to the gym, then I would be at the gym all the time :)

I joined MFP in February. Every month I try a different method in my diet restrictions. For example, before I started MFP, in January I gave up all diet soda and only drink water. I lost 5 pounds just doing that. When I joined MFP in Feruary Iost 5 pounds in that month just by logging my food and holding myself accountable for the food I ate. (I still keep with what I did in previous months). For March I gave up fast food and lost another 4.5 pounds. This month I am adding 30 min walks every day.

My advise is to not try and change everything all at once. Patience will help you succeed. And remember to still have a treat every week so you don't feel like depriving yourself. My treat varies, some weeks its a cupcake, others its Indian food.

Good luck to you. Feel freet to add me as a friend if you need support.
  • EmmaleeStrange
    Options
    Ok.

I completely hear you on the "size 2 girl on the elliptical machine" comment, as I too just got into going to the gym for the first time in my 33 years of my life... and as I'm gasping for every breath and feeling like my legs are going to give out beneath me - these teeny-boppers ahead of me are in their matching Victoria's Secret "Pink" gear and chatting up a storm... not winded like myself whatsoever. What gives!? I still have no idea. I am 5'5" and probably around 135lbs (I haven't weighed myself in years) but I am sooo winded and hurting by the time I leave the gym.

The first rule is always this: NEVER COMPARE YOURSELF TO THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU IN THE GYM. Everyone's body and story is different... but you are there to defeat one goal: to improve yourself FROM your current self. Don't focus on what everyone else is doing at the gym, focus on what YOU can do. Where YOU feel the burn most, what makes YOU feel stronger. Because when you start doing that, you start improving yourself almost instantly. Soon you will be the one talking to your girlfriend next to you as you're on the elliptical.

Next, look up clean eating and start syncing clean foods into your diet. Before you know it, you'll be more obsessed with cleaner foods than anything else. (Trust me - it's addicting) Clean eating is basically eating whole foods that have not been alternated or processed in any way. As long as you can read the ingredients and know what all of them are, it's clean. Whole, healthful foods are great to have on hand in those moments where you want to snack but you want it to be more filling than "two girlscout cookies totaling 160 calories" Keep delicious, clean foods on hand like hummus and veggies to dip in it, dried fruits and unsalted nuts, greek yogurts, oatmeal, brown rice, etc...

Lastly, have you tried or heard of pro-biotics? I suggest a high count pro-biotic to not only regulate your digestive system but also to help aide in digestive upsets, and balance your body's natural flora. You want one that's high in active culture count - I currently take a daily one that's 30 Billion Live Active cultures... the brand I prefer is Ultimate Flora (you can find this at Rite Aid) and people have noticed that they lose weight on these while it's helping balance all digestion issues, etc... because it's basically "cleaning out" your intestines. Most sicknesses apparently develop in digestive upsets - and I never get sick while I'm on these. All of my coworkers just got over the same flu... I never caught it. It's a great product, look it up online first if you're unsure.

I hope this helps!! Keep your chin up lady... you can do this!!! =)
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You are making the first real step on your weight loss journey. Honesty. Brutal honesty. I think we all had that moment of brutal honesty with ourselves that propelled and motivated us to get started. I'm going to be 47 next month and have MS. I have used both age and my illness as excuses as to why I was overweight. I have been overweight on and off most of my life and more "on" than not. I have wasted YEARS of my life being overweight and unhappy with myself. YEARS. I will never get them back. When I first got sick with my MS it was awful. I was unable to walk at times and even spent time in a nursing home unable to make it to the bathroom on my own. If I was in better shape to begin with it might not have been as awful. I may end up that sick again. With MS no one knows where you'll be a year from now let alone next week. It can be that unpredictable, but I do KNOW that next time I get real sick I will be in better shape and hopefully I will be able to deal with it better. Please work on these issues now. Don't WASTE any more time feeling out of shape and miserable. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Take baby steps. Add small things into your workouts that you can sustainably do. Set yourself up with small wins as these will give you motivation to keep going. Losing weight and getting in shape takes a lot of patience. Be patient with yourself and don't try to rush things. It will happen so just stick with it. Love yourself enough to do this.Honestly, when I see obese people working out the only thoughts I have are admiration. They are not letting excuses or adversity stop them on their way to leading a healthy and happy lifestyle. I think that anybody who thinks differently isn't really worth your concern. I personally wouldn't want anything to do with them so what they think is irrelevant to me. You got this. Do it now. For your health and your overall well being. Good luck!! I wish you all the best!! Add me if you'd like!!:smile:
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "This is seriously the start of a major life re-vamp. I want to work on EVERYTHING!!!! From finances to fitness to daily chores around the house; MY LIFE needs to get tightened up. I am tired of feeling fat and ready to let my outside show just how awesome my insides are. "

I loved your last paragraph! I wouldn't try to work on everything just yet; it might overload your brain with too many changes at once. I'd suggest you start with fitness and food intake, since you signed up on MFP. Once you feel you're on a roll, add the daily chores (you can count house cleaning as an exercise~Bonus!)
    Then somewhere down the road, add financial "fitness". And don't forget to let your outside show just how awesome your insides are!!!
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    Love your honesty. You should definitely read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. She spent a year re-vamping her life, allowing for success and failures. It's such a good book.
  • positivelypositive
    Options
    Hi there,
  • rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love your honesty... and this is half the battle. Unfortunately, honesty alone won't do it... you'll also need willpower, determination, goals, patience and forgiveness. You need to forgive yourself... you really do. I had to.

I weighed 250 pounds (ish) at the beginning of 2012 and now I'm at 185, but I did that through all the things I've mentioned above.

You'll also need friends... I couldn't have done it without mine. I rarely message anyone to ask if they'll be friends, but if you'd like to add me as your friend, I'd be honoured.

Good luck to you - you can do this!!!
  • rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    (Deleted because of duplication - rbartlett9671)
  • doodles21224
    doodles21224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your honesty. I can really relate to everything you said. The big difference is I am 62 years young, soon to be 63, and I have become extremely lazy. I cannot even walk from one end of my house to the other without getting winded and don't ask me how I manage to do housework, it takes forever because I have to stop so often. I am over 290 lbs. and I cannot seem to even get below that but like you I made the first step. I joined MFP. I just had a bad week but I admitted to it and I am starting over.

There is a 2 1/2 year old little girl that is my motivation. I want to live long enough to watch my granddaughter grow up. I cannot even play with her to much at this time but I will soon because she is my life. She is also going to have a new baby brother or sister in August so I will need double the energy!

My life for the past two years has been centered on taking care of my fiance. He has end stage renal failure (kidney failure) and just had a double bi-pass and a valve replacement. I now know I have to center my life on me if I don't want to have problems like he has. I have been blessed so far and I want to continue to be. That is why I joined MFP and I intend to do it for me. I will start exercising the three days a week he is on dialysis., I am thinking of joining the local WMCA and doing water aerobics. It will be easier on my knees and ankles. I just need to find a bathing suit because I haven't worn one in over fifteen years lol.

Friend me if you want and we can work this together. I just joined the end of March.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    I wish there was a 'Like' button on MFP, so many of you made such good points, excellent suggestions and were so supportive!

I'm with the others, it sounds like you've had a big 'come to Jesus' moment (it's a southern saying - if you don't know what it means, message me and I'll explain) with yourself. Many of us have had that conversation with ourselves. I agree with one poster that said 'You have to hit bottom first'. And it's true. You cannot make the kind of life/habit changes that you want to make without first being ready to take on the work. And I'm sure all will agree, this is WORK, HARD WORK.

But you can and will do it.

My wakeup moment was when I had an all over checkup. Blood pressure was up to near dangerous levels. Cortisol was elevated. I had given lip service to working out, which was in all honesty was a stroll around the block. And I wasn't losing any weight. I wasn't 'really' watching what I was eating.

Then I decided to heck with the weight loss, I had to do something about the blood pressure. So I went back to what I knew worked for me, and that was lifting weights. The blood pressure came down to extremely healthy levels. And I joined MFP and starting keeping track of what I was taking in. And I was brutally honest about it. No more mindless eating.

Like all the others, I have a couple of suggestions...

#1 Focus on getting healthy first. Make it a goal to be able to get up a couple flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Do they have any kind of recumbant stationary bike or elliptical trainer at your gym? I've always thought that the ONLY way to take care of the cardio is by sitting on my *kitten*! I HATEHATEHATE the machines that you have to be vertical for. I've also found recumbant machines much more comfortable.

You mentioned that you pin. I'm assuming you mean pintrest. Make a deal with yourself. The ONLY way you get to pin is if you are on a machine doing cardio. I did that with a show I dearly loved years ago and it resulted in about a 30-40 lb weight loss after my last pregnancy. Good thing it was a long running show! Seriously! Keep your mind occupied with something while you are exercising and you won't notice that you're breathing hard and sweating nearly as much. It's the only way I can get through a cardio session. But for this to work, it has to be a hard and fast rule. No pinning unless you're on a machine! Do this for a couple of weeks and you'll start to realize that 'hey, these stairs are getting easier to run up and down!'

#2 Keep a food diary. Some people can just keep their calories in check without it but I have to keep track of what I'm consuming. YOu don't necessarily have to start automatically cutting calories. Just keep a diary for a couple of weeks, see if there is any sort of pattern to what, when and how you eat and drink. You wouldn't necessarily have to do it on MFP. A simple small notebook will work.

#3 Figure out your BMR and what your calorie intake should be given your current level of activity. This is going to require honesty with yourself again. But you're already there. There are several good calculators. MFP has one but for a more accurate one. Go to the thread "In place of a roadmap". Many of us on here have used it with great success. Put in your numbers, measurements, and activity level. You're doing this mainly as a reference and a starting point towards healthy eating.

After 2-3 weeks you'll start noticing changes in yourself. You'll start to feel stronger, healthier and more empowered. YOu'll be ready for the next challenge. Actually working toward your goal. Figure out what that goal is during this starting phase.

#4 Start expanding your workout and start making small changes to your diet. I would like to stress that I, and I imagine others, think it's very important to not starve your body. Depriving yourself can have a backlash effect on you. Do not eat below your BMR! If you starve yourself you will cause your metabolism to slow down and any initial weight loss will come to a screeching halt.

I congratulate you on your honesty and readiness for change. You CAN do this! Remember, you are doing this for YOU, not your BF, but you. And it will be the best thing you can ever give yourself.

You go Girl!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. You just described me about 6 years ago, right after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I made excuses and plans for years, but never followed through with doing it. I promise you, you can change your life! It won't be easy, but it will be worth it!!