Body image self-assessment quiz

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.... I scored 62... I guess that's why I am doing this weight loss malarky!!

I don't need a therapist as it suggests, I just need to lose weight and stop being a big fat heffa!! :smile:

:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, me too!! :blushing: I got a 61 :drinker: yayy
  • looking2getfit
    Options
    I scored a 40+ I need to look at my life a little better I guess
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I scored a 21.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You have scored 24 points ... guess I care a bit more than I thought :tongue:
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Ouch.. I got 48.

Ive always had terrible self esteem..

ETA: I am working on it though. :smile:
  • TheRia247
    Options
    26 hmmm.....I think I still hold a lot of how I use to feel when I was really young. Even though I get more in shape, "i" still see myself as that over weight unhappy girl when i'm out places sometimes. Just gotta keep working at it i guess, losing the weight is only half the battle, the other half is learning to accept you've actually accomplished something and to feel good about how you look for once.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    80.........:sad:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I scored a 44. That's about right though, unfortunately.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!!?!? I nearly spit my coffee onto my keyboard when it told me I had BDD. No, I don't, and I can say with confidence that at least 90% of the people who take this quiz and come up with a 40+ score don't have BDD either.

It's food for thought an all, I mean the questions aren't ridiculous, but I love my body and what it can do. I grew two humans for godssake and sustained them on nothing but my milk for the first year of their lives. I'll say it again-I LOVE MY BODY. I simply dislike all the fat that it has collected like a freakin' magnet!
  • Gusman14
    Gusman14 Posts: 94
    Options

My attitude is screw what everyone else thinks. I am happy with who I am no matter what. My health assessment is what I am down on myself about. That is why I am here making the changes. Thanks MFP family.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I got a 10. But the description is way off. It says that my body has little impact on my daily life. That I spend my time thinking about other things. WRONG! My body has a HUGE impact on my daily life. I spend an innordinate amount of time thinking about my diet and wroking out. That is precisely why I have a good body image. Because of all that time I spend preoccupied with making my body better, I can look at pictures of myself from 6 months ago and see how much better I look.

QFT. I got a 7 and quite agree with you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Ironically, my favorite number :drinker:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I got a perfect 10. hehehehe.
  • peb97
    peb97 Posts: 1
    Options
    mine came to 59 :/
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I pose this question as i got a 58. What is WRONG with BDD? What is WRONG with not accepting anything but perfection? What's wrong with not liking the way I look?

No, seriously.... i'm waiting.

ETA: There's nothing wrong with you. Not a *&^%&$* thing. Unless you are staring at that one dimple above your @ss and blaming it for every bad thing that's ever happened to you (hyperbole, but you get the gist).

This quiz is crap for diagnosing BDD. It might be used as a screening tool, but it's crap for diagnostics. Pure crap. BDD is not "body hatred", nor is it dissatisfaction with your actual appearance.

THIS is BDD as defined by the DSM-IV-TR (2004; pp1006):

Diagnostic criteria:
    -preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance
    -preoccupation causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning
    -preoccupation is not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. dissatisfaction with body shape and size in anorexia nervosa)

"The essential feature...is preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance or...excessive concern with a minor anomaly..."
    "By definition, (BDD) is not diagnosed if symptoms are limited to preoccupation with body weight..."
  • therayeraye
    therayeraye Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I didn't take the time to read all 14 pages so sorry if someone posted this already, but I'm a researcher myself and the way this survey was compiled seems bizarre to me.
    "When someone looks at parts of my appearance that I dislike" presupposes you have parts you dislike...
    and in one of the follow up descriptions it says that your body image is impeding your going out and doing new things. I fail to see where that is assessed in the questionnaire
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I got 36. I am having one of those days though

You have a poor body image that is placing major restrictions on your willingness to engage in the day-to-day tasks of everyday life, destroying your ability to have fun, and denting your self-esteem in a very big way. I wonder if you have been aware of this until now - it is so much easier just to avoid doing the things that give us anxiety

Although I think the description is slightly harsh. I'm a lot more confident in myself and whether I lack body confidence or not, it doesn't make me lock myself in a dark room on my own. I'm able to have fun
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Wow I got 67, I thought I was feeling better about myslf lately... Good Lord...