How do you spruce up your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats cooked with cinnamon.
    1/2 sliced banana and chopped toasted nuts on top with vanilla unsweetened almond milk.
  • Medic911ETH
    Medic911ETH Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can eat like grits, southern style with salt and pepper. Instead of butter (which is a fat), I like using coconut oil (which is a fat). You can also experiment with any number of herbs and spices, even those you wouldn't normally consider. Have an experiment week if you have the time. Put small amounts of any herb or spice you have on hand on a each spoonful of your oatmeal preparation. Experiment further with those you find interesting, and make note of those you don't.:happy:
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I like adding cut up apple (or mango) + walnuts + ground flax + cinnamon.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Chia seeds and cinnamon or vanilla soy milk...mmm...
  • sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Chocolate chips
    Chocolate chips, coconut, almonds ( almond joy oatmeal)
    pumpkin and cinnamon
    berries
    pineapple and coconut
    dried fruit
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just add mixed nuts and dried cranberry and cinnamon. I don't think about it too much, all I know is that I need my oatmeal every morning.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    check out the oatmeal variations on ohsheglows.com
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try savory oats!

-stock
    -spices and herbs
    -hot sauce
    -egg
    -veggies
    -beans
    -cheese
    -salsa
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, blueberries, vanilla and oatmeal and milk. Leave in fridge overnight. Heat in morning. Delish.
  • ginsmar
    ginsmar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thinly sliced granny smith apple, as it is simmering away, almost melts right in to add flavor
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I make it using coconut milk. It makes it so rich and creamy. Also, I add a few raisins. Reminds me of arroz con leche. Yummy
  • thebr0kenwriter
    thebr0kenwriter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like mine cold with almond milk, Splenda, powdered PB2 or regular peanut butter and a sliced banana.
  • rycart98
    rycart98 Posts: 1
    Options
    Nuts or granola are a great topping but you have to watch portions as they are high in calories. I often cook apple chunks in the water, with lots of cinnamon so you can add flavor with out a lot of fat and calories. I make a big batch and refrigerate it. It will keep for 5 days. I also like it with some preserves mixed in. Some tart cherry preserves with a few almond slivers is really good!
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    crack an egg into it when its almost done for extra fluffiness and protein.

For toppings I like Peanut butter, pumpkin puree, if im microwaving it, blueberries are fun because they explode and make it purple :)
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Blackberries. I put about 8-10 blackberries in and mash them up. They are my new kick. I also like chopped apples.
  • DisputedEnds
    Options
    I don't eat oatmeal I just pour some oats in a bowl and pour some milk in it and enjoy!
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    cinnamon does it for me.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate chips and maple syrup. It tastes like chocolate chip pancakes.:love:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds, cacao nibs, walnuts, a splash of grassfed raw milk, honey, and usually a scoop of protein powder. More "other stuff" than oats :blushing:
  • error_number_404
    Options
    i get those packets of instant stuff. dont have to measure anything so u know exactly how many cals are in it and its ready in less than 2 minutes. plus they come in diff flavors like apple/cinnamon, maple/brown sugar, or this kind i always buy that's blueberry muffin flavor lol i never get bored of that one.