Losing weight is easy !!

Options
Okay so last year i was 17 and in december,2012 i weighed 250 lbs !! i looked like a 40 year old man !! nobody believed me that i was 17 !! they laughed !! so i had it with all of this overweight thing and people tellin me to lose weight all the time !! So i starting counting calories instead of completely changing the way i eat !!! like i allowed my self to have anything i crave for that way i wouldn't give my body a hard time !! When i thought of losing weight first thing that came to my mind was how hard people say this is ?? will i be able to become fit or stay like this FO'EVAAAH ?? so i searched around and some guy had this article on eat anything just stay under ur goal!! so i gave it a try !! and the first week i dropped 4 lbs !!! just by reducing a 1000 cals from my 3100 daily limit !! i should've lost more then that but i had no physical exercise that week !! so 4 lbs motivated me and i kept doing the same thing !!EAT ANYTHING STAY UNDER UR GOAL !! Plus i added boxing and running 7 days a week !! i fell in love with them !! The way jogging makes me feel is just out of the world !! i kept losing 10 lbs a month !! and now i am 50 lbs down just 10 lbs away from my goal !! SO NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT HOW HARD LOSING WEIGHT IS ?? ITS NOT !! JUST COUNT CALORIES !! :)

HOPE I HELPED

Replies

• fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's easy to lose the weight initially but difficult to keep it off long term. The only real success I have had was on a low carb diet where I kept a lot of the weight off during the last few years. If someone has been dieting over a long period of time, it is easy to lose motivation when you don't see fast results.
  • Leonardo_Gosh
    Options
    Do u know why is it hard to keep off the weight ?? cuz people stop exercising and stop controlling calories !!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Do u know why is it hard to keep off the weight ?? cuz people stop exercising and stop controlling calories !!

Yes. Because it can be difficult to maintain good habits when experiencing periods of stress. Hopefully you will have plans in place for when you get older and experience them yourself.

By the way, you seem to be saying you're 17, when this site is 18 plus for a reason. And not just because us oldies get irritated having to read abbreviated text writings.

Well done on losing the weight. Maybe we'll see you back here when you're officially a grown up, but if not, don't forget your own advice.
  • jdyer90
    jdyer90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think he's just trying to be motivation, because losing weight IS indeed easy. Living active and counting calories should be the lifestyle of everyone, yes a couple pounds may come back because we stopped due to stress, but if you keep at your "lifestyle" the pounds should stay away... And he said he's 18. Good job on he weight loss and keep it up! This IS EASY, so why should I ever give up???
  • Leonardo_Gosh
    Options

Yes. Because it can be difficult to maintain good habits when experiencing periods of stress. Hopefully you will have plans in place for when you get older and experience them yourself.

By the way, you seem to be saying you're 17, when this site is 18 plus for a reason. And not just because us oldies get irritated having to read abbreviated text writings.

Well done on losing the weight. Maybe we'll see you back here when you're officially a grown up, but if not, don't forget your own advice.

Maybe you didn't read it right ??? i said "last year when i was 17" so that makes me 18 now right? Officially a grown up ?? what does growing up have to do with this post at all !! Just stop acting like u know everything ! :noway:
  • Leonardo_Gosh
    Options
    I think he's just trying to be motivation, because losing weight IS indeed easy. Living active and counting calories should be the lifestyle of everyone, yes a couple pounds may come back because we stopped due to stress, but if you keep at your "lifestyle" the pounds should stay away... And he said he's 18. Good job on he weight loss and keep it up! This IS EASY, so why should I ever give up???

Yeah thats right !!! some people just don't ever wanna see others happy and bring pointless things into something thats totally different !! :angry:
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    THIS POST IS EXCELLENT!!!! I started doing the exact same thing, then over time my eating habits got better in general. Kind of like a snowball effect. However, the whole cals in vs cals burned thing WORKS! I had this battle last night w/ my fiance because he lost 16 lbs and is stuck. He doesn't count cals, eats basically whatever he wants, works out a few times a week, and expects a miracle. I told him he needs to either work on portions or just count cals. Thats what I did and check out my ticker. It's really not that hard... it just takes patience and a little will power.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP, I'm officially a grownup and I agree with you all the way! I went through a lot of yo-yoing with my weight for many years because the only way I knew how to diet was to severely restrict calories, and I only did exercise for weight loss. So somehow, when I went back to eating normally and stopped exercising, the weight always came back...weird, huh?

It took me well into my 40s to figure out what you figured out in your teens: eat within limits, and find an activity you'll do year-round forever (I'm also a runner). I'd have saved myself a lot of grief if this had dawned on me sooner.

One suggestion: at your age you have amazing powers of recovery, but it's still a good idea to schedule in occasional rest days to let your muscles heal and recover. Make it a habit now, and it'll help keep you from getting overuse injuries later.

Congrats on your weight loss, and keep this up--for life!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Agree and disagree

Agree: yes for someone who is 18 y/o able to count calories everyday, plus able to run 7 x wk, box with enough energy and hormones to skyrocket out of the atmosphere......etc....easy

Disargee: That as you age it is more difficult, less time to exercise after working a 12 hour day, taking care of 3 children (which includes changing diaper, packing their lunch, giving them baths, feeding them, making sure they don't stick their fingers in the light sockets, take them to karate, soccer practice, dance, getting them ready for bed, putting them to bed etc..) and after your totally exhausted... workout on top of it

So yes, It is easier for some. The principle of losing weight is easy," Eat less than you burn". The harder part is finding enough time and having enough energy left to do it. It has to be done, so we do it.
  • Leonardo_Gosh
    Options
    Hey, OP, I'm officially a grownup and I agree with you all the way! I went through a lot of yo-yoing with my weight for many years because the only way I knew how to diet was to severely restrict calories, and I only did exercise for weight loss. So somehow, when I went back to eating normally and stopped exercising, the weight always came back...weird, huh?

It took me well into my 40s to figure out what you figured out in your teens: eat within limits, and find an activity you'll do year-round forever (I'm also a runner). I'd have saved myself a lot of grief if this had dawned on me sooner.

One suggestion: at your age you have amazing powers of recovery, but it's still a good idea to schedule in occasional rest days to let your muscles heal and recover. Make it a habit now, and it'll help keep you from getting overuse injuries later.

Congrats on your weight loss, and keep this up--for life!

I agree that taking rest is important !! i've tried that before but when i take a day off i don't feel like exercising the next day !! So i just do a slow walk instead !! :)
  • Leonardo_Gosh
    Options
    Agree and disagree

Agree: yes for someone who is 18 y/o able to count calories everyday, plus able to run 7 x wk, box with enough energy and hormones to skyrocket out of the atmosphere......etc....easy

Disargee: That as you age it is more difficult, less time to exercise after working a 12 hour day, taking care of 3 children (which includes changing diaper, packing their lunch, giving them baths, feeding them, making sure they don't stick their fingers in the light sockets, take them to karate, soccer practice, dance, getting them ready for bed, putting them to bed etc..) and after your totally exhausted... workout on top of it

So yes, It is easier for some. The principle of losing weight is easy," Eat less than you burn". The harder part is finding enough time and having enough energy left to do it. It has to be done, so we do it.

Totally agree with ya !! but time and age are totally different topics :glasses:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I agree and disagree. The principle of losing weight is easy. The act is only as easy as you personally find it. As a serial binger, there are times when I find this journey very difficult, as my eating is controlled by my feelings at the time. Sometimes, however, I do find it easy, and this is the most amount of weight I've ever lost without giving up and piling it all back on, which must say something.

Having said that you personally have done very well. Congratulations and I hope you can keep it up.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Agree and disagree

Totally agree with ya !! but time and age are totally different topics :glasses:

The principle of losing weight was exactly his point. He is correct. Finding a way to fit it into your life (regardless of age, family stress, discovering life, battling food disorders, whatever) is everyones job who wants to be healthy to figure out. I am busy, everyone has stuff to do, that wasn't the point. OP great post and expect a lot of off topic opposition.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    ITA! Everything in life requires work. I wouldn't say losing weight and being healthy is easy because it does require some planning and dedication. I guess it depends on the way you look at it. Speaking for myself, I've found this new lifestyle to be challenging but certainly not impossible. I think of all the times I went straight home from work to watch t.v., or laid in bed all Sunday not doing a lick of exercise, or not caring what I put into my body. Had I not been doing that I wouldn't be in the position I am in now.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Holy cow, why so angry?

Good job OP! You are right it IS easy - people over think it and dont need to. I'm proud that you took your fitness goals seriously at such a young age, many of started in our late twenties, just think of where you will be 10 years from now. Good lord! You are amazing!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Maybe you didn't read it right ??? i said "last year when i was 17" so that makes me 18 now right? Officially a grown up ?? what does growing up have to do with this post at all !! Just stop acting like u know everything ! :noway:

Haters gonna hate!
  • turryandsally
    turryandsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Geez, can't support someone because of their age? That is real nice. If you don't want to support, don't say anything. I don't care how old someone is or isn't. We are all on the same journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree that weight loss is simple. I do think that maintenance will be the hard part. But sometimes I think it will not be so hard. I have had several days when I wasn't able to log food until the end of the day, and when I'm careful with portions, I stay at my calorie goal with no trouble. When I first started, I pre-logged everything. I hope that after a while I will be able to eat normally without even thinking, but until then, I will keep logging on MFP.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ^^True^^