Best/Worst Thing People Said on your Weight Loss Journey?

Options

Replies

• candicecountscalories
    Options
    BEST: "I'm so PROUD of you!" by my friend Alicia when I told her I went to the gym

"You're a runner" by my mother. I haven't lost any weight so I feel like all of this running doesn't make me a runner. (As if runners don't come in all shapes and sizes!)

WORST: "You know that calorie counting doesn't work right?" by my boyfriend. He's REALLY supportive of my healthy eating and exercising, but it bothers him that I have to write it all down >o< Why? I don't know!
  • txbelle01
    txbelle01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :)
  • txbelle01
    txbelle01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    They notice, the choose not to comment b/c if they did then it makes them self reflect and some people can't handle that.
    U look amazing from ur pic and you can tell you do work! I am become more aware that women can't handle when other women lose weight. I don't get it. Are we not suppose to uplift each other! :)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, I remembered one other bad one! >.<
    "You shouldn't be posting hotty pictures of yourself because you don't really look like that."

She said she meant the lighting on my face because I looked lighter in my profile picture. I took the picture in a sun lit place. -_- I had gotten so many good comments on my Facebook profile and one person had to mess it up! Whether it was intentional or not, it didn't sound too nice.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Last summer I was playing softball and the coach said, You are way faster than you look.. and I had lost 45 lbs. I was like wow, jerk.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Best: "You look really good"

^ That is the safest compliment you can give someone who is losing weight. Not 'you look better', 'you look like you've lost 20 lbs' etc. No one can twist around "you look really good" from a positive observation into a negative crticism, it just can't be done lol.
  • megfah
    megfah Posts: 61
    Options
    Best: A friend calling me a "serious runner" - and feeling like that's an accurate description!

And really, I love any comment - even "how much have you lost?" or "what are you doing differently?" I think most people who comment have really good intentions and want to let me know they've noticed a positive change. I love telling people how much I've lost because I'm so thrilled about it.

Worst: Nothing. See above. And about the "I'm jealous" or "stop losing, you're already too skinny" type comments - I used to say that kind of thing to people. It had nothing to do with them and everything to do with me not knowing how to make changes or believing I could.

Oh, I take it back. Worst: "Are you doing what ___ did?" about a co-worker who lost weight a couple of years ago. No, this is about me, not him. Please don't credit him with my success.
  • lostman
    lostman Posts: 10
    Options
    Best: I want to lose weight like you did - the"right" way, not on a fad diet. (consequentlyI have 3-4 more friends on MFP that I have been trying to encourage.)

No one has said anything really bad, hubby told me I can't lose anymore because he can't afford my buying more new clothes! My sister told me she was worried about me losing too much, but my niece battled orthorexia for a while so I underestand.

Love reading the others comments. So blessed to find this community and find inspiration so many times.

Thank you all!
  • DrWilyMD
    DrWilyMD Posts: 14
    Options
    Best: Owner of my company stopped by one day, hadn't seen him in a couple months. "Wow, you've lost some serious weight! That's awesome, man. You look great!"

Worst: Showing a girl I was hanging out with a picture of me 45 pounds ago: "I wouldn't have given you the time of day if we'd met when you looked like that." I really don't think this one's all that bad, I try to take compliments however they come.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Best: "Oh my gosh, you look fantastic!"
    Worst: "Would you eat something? You're too skinny and thin doesn't suit you." I'm a size 8-10. Sheesh.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    They notice, the choose not to comment b/c if they did then it makes them self reflect and some people can't handle that.
    I am become more aware that women can't handle when other women lose weight. I don't get it.

I agree! I think just about everyone I know has said something about my weight loss except for one friend who is also quite heavy. She doesn't acknowledge it at all. Nothing.
  • Sarahmb1985
    Sarahmb1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Worst : Well, going off the most recent I showed (with apprehension) my mom a picture of me from around March 6th when I first started dieting/exercising she made a horrid sound and said how disgusting..*sigh* thanks mom..
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Worst:
    'Oh my!...*giggle*'

Best:
    'Oh...wow...'

:flowerforyou:
  • k8ecakes
    k8ecakes Posts: 51
    Options
    Best: you look great!

Worst: why did you even let yourself get that big -__-

Keep your head up high everyone :)
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Best: Wow you're lost alot of weight. Good job.

Worst: I'm not attracted to you anymore - from my husband
  • JuliaJitterbug
    JuliaJitterbug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Worst:" Well its just a drop in the bucket huh?"

Best: " You could be a model with those cheekbones"....I loose weight in my fast faster than anywhere,.
  • dancinnat
    dancinnat Posts: 25
    Options
    Best: "You look amazing!"

Worst: "Are you pregnant again?" Said by my father in law 4 months after I gave birth to my only child.
    &
    "You must be doing it unhealthy if you've had so much success." Said by my hater of a sister, after we started diets on the same day and 4 months later I had lost 35lbs and she hadn't lost an ounce.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    Best: Wow you're lost alot of weight. Good job.

Worst: I'm not attracted to you anymore - from my husband

Definitely the Worst response here.
  • poodlegoat
    poodlegoat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Best: "You look great! Your hard work is paying off."
    Worst: "You've lost a LOT of weight!"

I don't like to be reminded of how heavy I used to be, and when someone says "You've lost a LOT of weight" it's like they're saying, "You used to be SO FAT!" It's true, of course, but not easy to hear.
    . I know how you feel
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Best: "Woah Ray! So proud of you keep up the good work, your discipline is definitely inspiring".

Worst: No point of throwing away your old clothes, you'll put it back on anyway.