When someone compliments you, do you believe them?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
The body confidence post got me thinking… do you believe it when someone compliments your appearance? BB tells me all the time I’m the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen. I don’t believe that. Don’t get me wrong: I’m pretty good looking, but I feel like I can’t possibly be the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen. There are so many better looking women out there.

When someone compliments you, do you believe them? Or do you feel like they’re just saying what you want to hear?

Replies

• MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    With my Husband, I know his compliments are genuine, so I always believe him, this doesn't mean that I don't carry insecurities though. If it's a friend on the other hand I tend to take it lightly as I'm not used to getting compliments from anyone other than family.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    Unfortunately, I find that most men (NOT ALL SO DON"T SHOOT ME) are hardwired to say what you want to hear. So when a man compliments me, I have to ask myself a few questions:

Does he want something from me?
    Did he do something wrong?

Women can also do the same thing, surprisingly, especially if they don't like you.

Kids tend to be the most honest. Kids and drunk people. So if a kid or a drunk person compliments you, believe them.

Oh, but with drunk people, beer goggles make everyone 30 percent better looking. SO just be wary.

Love yourself and know you are beautiful. LOL
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    If somebody compliments my outfit/style, hair, makeup... then yeah, I totally believe them because I'm pretty good with those things. Anything else, though? Not so much. Yay, low self esteem!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    no™
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Compliments aren't real most of the time people will say what you want to hear.
  • JonnaM0916
    JonnaM0916 Posts: 113
    Options
    Yes, it does give me a boost of confidence when it happens.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I just can't believe it if people don't compliment me...:wink:
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    For the job I do, or how hard I work?...yes

For how I look? No...not really.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't believe people most the time, that's just my poor self esteem and all....BUT on the other hand, I never give compliments I don't mean. I don't see any point in fluffing things up or lying. If I don't have anything good to say I usually just don't say anything. I don't like to hurt people and I am not mean.......so If I compliment you, then you can believe that it is my 100% true opinion on the matter.....but you have to keep in mind that it is just an OPINION. They are like fingerprints...everyone has them and they are never the same....mostly.

Oh and I have to say that looks are not the only thing opinions are based on. The more some one knows you the more things their opinions are based on. So your close friends and family and SO will give you compliments based on your looks and who you are as a person together...so when he says you are the most beautiful person he has seen then he is probably talking about inside and out....I personally think you are very pretty and that is based only on your pictures cause I don't know you at all...people can be very beautiful on the outside and nasty on the inside...as well as average on the outside and magnificent on the inside. So to some one who knows that person well, they would be more attractive to the hot but nasty person.
  • JonnaM0916
    JonnaM0916 Posts: 113
    Options
    I don't believe people most the time, that's just my poor self esteem and all....BUT on the other hand, I never give compliments I don't mean. I don't see any point in fluffing things up or lying. If I don't have anything good to say I usually just don't say anything. I don't like to hurt people and I am not mean.......so If I compliment you, then you can believe that it is my 100% true opinion on the matter.....but you have to keep in mind that it is just an OPINION. They are like fingerprints...everyone has them and they are never the same....mostly.

Exactly I am the same way. I don't lie to people so if I say it believe it :)
  • whatshouldieat
    whatshouldieat Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sure why not!!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I just can't believe it if people don't compliment me...:wink:

Sweetheart, it's impossible NOT to compliment you. I mean yum.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It REALLY depends on my mood. Some days YES. Some days no probably not at all.
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think people just say what you want to hear most of the time, some people are genuine though and I love those people :smile:
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No. It's mainly from family and friends trying to be nice.
    I get confused when it's from strangers. Like, really confused.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I only have trouble believing when someone DOESN'T compliment me. *hair-flip* :wink:
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i have a hard time believing anyone anymore.. been burned too many times.
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you guys get compliments? FML
  • Allydw89
    Allydw89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My best friend (who was my boyfriend for an entire day at one point!) tells me i'm beautiful all the time, but i never believe him. I'm so used to everyone either being sarcastic when they call me beautiful or just plain not being complimented, that i don't believe them.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS get compliments on my eyes and hair (weird?)... So those I usually believe. Anything else I figure they're just trying to be polite.