When someone compliments you, do you believe them?

Options

Replies

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I believe it, and I'm proud of what I've done. I just haven't figured out how to respond yet. I still feel awkward.
  • tasha251983
    tasha251983 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No never
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Depends. If it's someone extremely close to me, then of course, yes. If it's not, then I usually think they are just being polite.

Either way, I try to always accept it graciously, even if I don't feel it. But, in general, it's not a problem I have to worry about.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't really care. I just say," Thank you".
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    From my wife yes, everyone else, no
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    i have a hard time believing anyone anymore.. been burned too many times.

Same.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    It depends on who's saying it and whether it comes across as genuine or the typical line. I just got a text from my husband "it's almost as hot outside as you are". :love:

Now that I will believe :)
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    The people I love look beautiful to me, so when the people who love me tell me that I'm cute, or smart, or beautiful, or funny, why shouldn't I believe them?

So, yes, I do believe they meant their compliments truthfully. That doesn't mean that I've ever actually felt beautiful, but usually I think I'm at least smart and cute (and funny!).
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    that is most unfortunate. I would say when a guy compliments it is either genuine or he wants in your pants. Most guys only give genuine compliments. Being burned has YOU written all over it. YOU were burned because of something you did (miss the signs he was an *kitten*, naive, or overly trusting). I am not being rude, I just think about the times I was burned, it was my fault...all the signs were there.
    i have a hard time believing anyone anymore.. been burned too many times.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hell yea, im awesome :smokin:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's very, very rare that I get compliments. Even then, I think they're just trying to make me feel good, and they're not genuine. I'm just hard wired to hear negative all the time since that's what I've gotten most of my life. My outlook is changing, but it's a long road.

I compliment people all the time, and I mean every single one of them.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The body confidence post got me thinking… do you believe it when someone compliments your appearance? BB tells me all the time I’m the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen. I don’t believe that. Don’t get me wrong: I’m pretty good looking, but I feel like I can’t possibly be the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen. There are so many better looking women out there.

When someone compliments you, do you believe them? Or do you feel like they’re just saying what you want to hear?

But seriously though, there are alot of different things factored into beauty- who you are as a person, who you are to your SO, what you look like, etc... all these things considered, you most likely ARE the most beautiful woman hes ever seen. When my SO says it i know hes looking at me as a whole, not just a snapshot.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Here's a question, when YOU compliment someone, are YOU being sincere?

I'm one of those annoying people who's happy and sweet all of the time (Except when I'm being snarky...), and I enjoy complimenting people, hoping that it'll brighten up their day a bit-but I don't lie.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've been getting tons of compliments recently on my weight loss, especially from co-workers and family, and I believe them, I mean I HAVE lost 40 pounds and it shows! I don't fish for the compliments either, but just today, four people asked me what I was doing to lose so much weight and said how good it looked. They didn't want anything from me, so why shouldn't I believe them?

My husband compliments me on a regular basis and I believe him, because he can't keep his hands off my newly slim (well, slimmer, anyway) body. Which is great by me, because weight loss really revs the libido!
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am always caught off guard and seem to babble and say thank you.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I haven't really gotten any compliments from anyone lately. My now ex bf used to say he thought I was beautiful. Not sure if I believed it, I know he thought this, but to actually think it might be true... well... not so sure that's really true. Does this make sense?
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Not on this site, everyone is rainbows and butterflies haha. Everyone is an 8 or higher and would bang haha...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It depends. If it's a woman and I KNOW i'm rocking a really cute purse or my hair really does look nice that day then yeah. If it's a guy and I know these jeans really do fit well then yeah.

But if it's a day when I didn't shower and he looks way too googly eyed and says some insane ish like I'm the most beautiful thing to ever walk the planet...I start to think....uh oh:huh: ....pheromones, should have showered.:embarassed:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    From men, yes. From *most* women, hell no.
  • Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    Options
    From men, yes. From *most* women, hell no.

Based on my own weight loss and progress, I would agree wtih the statements that men give compliments without prejudice, whereas women are guarded about what they say.

My weight loss is noticeable, so at the workplace, many of the bluecollar guys will comment: "Hey, you lost a lot of weight" or you are getting "buff" Being supportive and sometimes asking how I did it.

I noticed that women won't make those type of remarks in front of other women, but will approach me directly and say "wow, you look really good!" If they are in a group, they will giggle but won't say anything. The most common statement is " your pants or shirt is getting too big"