Ladies..scared of BIRTH CONTROL!

Options

Replies

• xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The pill has never made me gain weight, and I was on it for 3 and a half years. Stopped because hubby and I were ready to have baby #2 but the shot made me gain weight, and yes people it was the SHOT. I was 17 years old, highly active and didn't eat anything out of the normal (meaning the exact same as I had been the 16 years before getting it) I gained 20 lbs on the shot the 1st time and 40 the 2nd I will never be on the depo shot again but I am going to be put on the mini pill the 19th of this month!

Edited to say of you dont want to be on the BC why not try some over the counter product? Ensure and VCF are good (My sister has been using them for 4 years and no baby yet) you can get them at walmart or any drug store and condoms (If your not like me and have a bad allergic reaction to them)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Mirena for me. No periods, no cramps, slight mood swings around my monthly, but otherwise I don't have to worry about it~
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am on the iud (5 year) and it is wonderful!. has not made me gain weight! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The pill doesn't make you gain weight. A calorie surplus does.

I second this. I'm on BC for PCOS (and have been since I was 17, 21 now) and since I'm watching what I eat, never been an issue..
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I loved the patch- best birth control I was on- ever!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Condoms are great and no hormones! :love:

Says you
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have had HORRIBLE issues gaining weight while on birth control in the past..I gained about twenty pounds when I had that thing in my arm. I am now starting back up with a pill. I am SCARED TO DEATH to gain weight (I have been trying so hard!) I know it's better then having a babes at the moment, but still. How is it working for you?

P.S. I am starting "Aviane"

As an ICU nurse, I am more afraid of the pulmonary emboli, heart attacks, and strokes that hormonal birth control can cause. I get to sometimes see what that looks like close-up.
    You do have other options.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I concur!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    gaining over 20lbs isn't from birth control- that's a lack of SELF CONTROL. I don't think IUD causes weight gain - but pregnancy will
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I take the pill (Yaz). I gained about five pounds when I started, and it made me feel like **** for a few weeks. But much MUCH better than a baby!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Really enjoying being off BC for the first time in over 15 years... Thinking about TTC soon :flowerforyou:
  • still_a_caterpillar
    Options

I second this. I'm on BC for PCOS (and have been since I was 17, 21 now) and since I'm watching what I eat, never been an issue..

I've been on it since I was 14 (also for PCOS and other issues) and I've obviously gained weight in the past 12 years (I'd be concerned if I was the same size at age 26 that I was at age 14 lol), but I certainly don't think it's going to *keep* me from losing weight so long as I'm keeping good track of my eating and working out properly.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I second this.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Different birth control pills affect people differently.
    Some of them increase your appetite and I'm sorry if some of you think it's easy to sit there starving - I'm not a fan of that.

I've been on more variations of BC than I can remember. Some of them made me moody, some made me hungry, some made me bleed for days and days.

I gained weight on some (due to uncontrollable hunger).

The best bet were the kind that are low dose progesterone and the same lever of hormones in each pill.

A decent doctor should let you try different ones until you find one that works!

Peeps: try to remember we are all different and don't just jump at others’ throats. We all need a chance to find what works for us individually.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Hormones do not work the same way on everyone. You might get some of the side effects, all of them or none. That's how drugs usually work.

I've been a couple of months on combined pill with levonorgestrel and I gained a lot of muscle (and fat). It had this anabolisant effect on me.
  • mbarcellona
    Options
    I was on the pill when I turned 16 and within a week or two, immediately gained 10lbs when I didn't change my diet or anything. I just accepted my new weight was my new normal until I turned 20 then switched to the Implanon implant- WORST THING I EVER DID. Gained another 10lbs almost immediately, experienced terrible bloating issues and CRAZY body acne, then completely lost my libido. I am now on the Nuvaring and it is FANTASTIC. It's got a tiny bit of hormone that isn't as systemic as the pill or an implant. I've been able to lose the weight I gained from the other choices (after some work) and my body feels better than it ever has on any other form of birth control.

I've read other reviews that some experience depression on Nuvaring- I can honestly say I haven't had any problems with it. If I ever experience bouts of depression, it's probably because I'm a nursing school student and all I do is study all the time and don't have any time for friends. xP

I recommend Nuvaring to anyone who has had problems with other forms of birth control. And to anyone worried about "feeling" Nuvaring when getting intimate- my boyfriend has never complained. :]
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill when I turned 16 and within a week or two, immediately gained 10lbs when I didn't change my diet or anything.

Assuming you had a regular diet of the average 2000 calories per day or so when you started taking the pill... you would have had to have 4500 calories per day to gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Did you do that? If not, then you did not gain 10 pounds in two weeks. You would have had to have been on a serious eating bender to achieve that.

One does not gain weight that quickly without any dietary change.

If you notice a weight gain of that amount, likely it was already coming on slowly.

The pill does not make you gain weight, ladies.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Most oral birth control methods have a less than 1% clinical rate of weight gain during trials. It's unlikely, especially if you are logging and tracking!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    The pill has never made me gain weight, and I was on it for 3 and a half years. Stopped because hubby and I were ready to have baby #2 but the shot made me gain weight, and yes people it was the SHOT. I was 17 years old, highly active and didn't eat anything out of the normal (meaning the exact same as I had been the 16 years before getting it) I gained 20 lbs on the shot the 1st time and 40 the 2nd I will never be on the depo shot again but I am going to be put on the mini pill the 19th of this month!

Edited to say of you dont want to be on the BC why not try some over the counter product? Ensure and VCF are good (My sister has been using them for 4 years and no baby yet) you can get them at walmart or any drug store and condoms (If your not like me and have a bad allergic reaction to them)

Depo has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher rate of weight gain in clinical trails than any other method. So yes, you are probably correct.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I used to take Alesse and then Tricyclen. Neither made me gain.