Someone told me to stop lifting heavy yesterday.

Options
Yeah, that's not gonna happen until I stop seeing results.

Short story: 35 lbs & 10 inches lost from my neck, waist and hips in 4 months. I'm still a work in progress, but I thought I would post a thread for the first time =)

Here's the long story. Until a couple of years ago, I had never eaten a fruit or veggie in my life. I just refused. I'm not kidding. I lived off of processed food, a lot of junk food, meat, bread, pasta, and a LOT of sugar. I loved candy, cookies, all desserts; everything. I ate horrrrribly. Sometimes, I would have fast food for more than one (sometimes more than two, don't judge) meals per day. I ate entire cans of cake frosting by myself for dinner. I drank 3 liter sodas by myself with lunch. I ate dessert with every meal. Entire boxes of girl scout cookies or oreos several times per week. How I did not become 400 lbs I will never know.

One day at work, I was not feeling well so they decided to check my hemoglobin A1c, which is a finger prick to tell the average of your blood sugars over the last three months. It came back as prediabetic. At 22 and with a BMI of 27, I was shocked and knew something had to change, like now. I was not THAT overweight and "too young" to be diabetic. My diet was absolutely...terrible. (Well, I say I was shocked, but honestly, I knew, because I could and still can feel my blood sugar highs and lows.)

That was in early 2012. It took me almost a year of crash diets, fad diets, starving myself, hating myself and fighting with myself to finally figure it out. In that time, I think I joined MFP three times. I also joined loseit.com among several other websites and bought six different diet books. I joined Weight Watchers and did Nutrisystem. I did a weight loss doctor and sure, I lost some weight here and there, but gained it right back after I stopped whatever diet it was at the time. Nothing lasted more than 7 days, I always ended up caving to the hypoglycemia (headaches, dizziness, shakiness) because I didn't know how to FEED my body. I never had before, I didn't know what to eat, when to eat, how often to eat, and fruits and veggies still weren't in the mix; neither was exercise.

Boom. January 1 of this year. 180 degrees in my life. I made a new MFP account (for some reason, it had to be a new one every time lol). I gave up alcohol, fast food, and soda entirely. I started eating glycemic index-ish/paleo-ish/17-day-diet-ish (a mixture of all the books I had read in the year I had tried to diet before haha, I picked and chose what I liked from each of them). The key for me was eating frequently, like in the beginning I ate every hour. I eat high in protein and FINALLY added in the veggies. I started running and lifting. I exercise almost every day and find so much clarity in exercise... I am completely and totally, 100% addicted.

So here I am. Almost 4.5 months into this "diet" and still going strong, thanks to the 150+ people whom I've "met" on this site (pals, if you're reading this, you all are my saviors, you all keep me going every day and I can't thank you enough!!!). While I am still symptomatic with my blood sugar, my A1c's are now within normal limits. I know this change is for life because I have no choice. I can't go back to my old ways or I WILL become full blown diabetic. I still do not drink soda and in over 100 days, I have not had one bite of fast food. (I did recently start drinking a little alcohol again but hey, it's baseball season...nothing like beer and baseball ;) and the deal was get to your goal and you can drink again). Coming from a legitimate fast food addict, that is a huge accomplishment.

Who would have thought, that all you needed to do was eat healthy and exercise?! No need to spend obscene amounts of money on all of that crazy stuff like I did!! I'm living proof that it works!

And now for everyone's favorite part!! PICTURES!!!

Height: 5'8''
SW: 176.2
CW: 141
GW: 130

I apologize in advance for the huge photos!!!!

BEFORE
Christmas party 2012:
2f2afbe1-066c-4feb-9cc4-888e7ed05392_zpsd6262ae1.jpg

That's my belly hanging OVER the counter. OMG. Thanksgiving day 2012, before dinner.
1a163a04-e73d-4c2d-bd63-1a2be6984ae1_zps155a6589.jpg

9b2896d4-33bd-4525-b15f-cb809b31d90c_zpsf25c1f89.jpg

e86fec62-228a-49ad-878c-89cc068bd357_zps3ac8115f.jpg

DURING
I weighed approximately 155 in this pic?
575b5ed8-5346-4499-936e-9bb14dc67101_zps01bfc644.jpg

6f9c46f1-a700-4737-961d-a9ad72ced8bf_zps68dab2a6.jpg

AFTER
Currently 141
5e6f402d-750d-439b-bc2c-fb4d5cc41442_zps4658692d.jpg

4e688d7c-c931-4f15-bbd3-18239117c1c0_zps5f5f86f2.jpg

20130409_154133_zps01acb946.jpg

64913ae3-3539-46e3-8f14-e842e7f2f7e1_zpsccc726d2.jpg

I have baby biceps!!!!
0651d1e6-a662-4d2f-aeb0-7c24d9b0c3af_zps0a51410c.jpg

And of course, face comparison pictures!
e41b23c3-ca1a-434d-8b0d-fe20ffa20aa2_zps733940fb.jpg

aviary_1364252827697_zps5514a2f2.jpg

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    WOW!

You've done that in 4 months? You are my weight & fitness hero! Keep up the inspiring work; you're doing great!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look so amazing! Congratulations on losing weight and getting healthy! I just ordered the book New Rules of Lifting and can't wait to try out strength training. :)
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! What an inspiration! You look fantastic! Good job!
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Job! I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing!
  • Jeepers133
    Jeepers133 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Very inspiring!
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You're my hero. :smile: That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Amazing results, your transformation is sensational.

just curious was the person who told you to stop lifting heavy weights a guy who you were out lifting? lol.
  • iliveintheshire
    Options

just curious was the person who told you to stop lifting heavy weights a guy who you were out lifting? lol.

Hahaha. No, he could outlift me for sure. But he was trying to convince me of that "lighter weights, more reps" mentality and I was like heeeeck no!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Hahaha. No, he could outlift me for sure. But he was trying to convince me of that "lighter weights, more reps" mentality and I was like heeeeck no!
    PSH he was just trying to warn you that after you lose thirty SIX pounds you start turning into a gigantic man hulk.

Also curious was he saying it was because you're a girl or because he's one of those guys who think more reps = smaller muscles and less reps = larger muscles?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    oh man, you are my inspiration!!!!!!!!
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    For the record, you are hot in all these pictures. Just sayin...
  • iliveintheshire
    Options

PSH he was just trying to warn you that after you lose thirty SIX pounds you start turning into a gigantic man hulk.

Also curious was he saying it was because you're a girl or because he's one of those guys who think more reps = smaller muscles and less reps = larger muscles?

Yeah he's one of those that thinks more reps = tones muscles. Which I guess it may for some, right? Not me apparently ;) hahaha.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Just ridiculous amounts of awesome. The change is incredible. Keep it up!
  • CoderGal
    Options

Yeah he's one of those that thinks more reps = tones muscles. Which I guess it may for some, right? Not me apparently ;) hahaha.
    Nope! Well, anyone is going to get smaller on a calorie deficit. I've tried the dance thing the hiking thing the weights thing....everything got me smaller if I was on a deficit. If you want to be 'firm' aka 'tone'...heavy progressive weights is the best way to go.
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    this is seriously awesome. now i'm going to sound like a creeper and ask how you curl your hair? 2 inch barrel.. 1.5? i love your hair and your baby biceps.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT! I know I shouldn't be using caps: the screaming and all isn't really socially acceptable. I'm sorry but screaming is in order...You are such an EXCELLENT example of how clean eating and motivation can change a life for the better.

Your achievement is truly commendable.

Keep up the awesomeness!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Ow Yeahhhhhhhhhh

I didn't read anything after the first sentence, but girllllll You are Killllllling It.

You loooooook fantastic..

<<<<ROUND OF APPLAUS>>>>
  • CoderGal
    Options
    this is seriously awesome. now i'm going to sound like a creeper and ask how you curl your hair? 2 inch barrel.. 1.5? i love your hair and your baby biceps.
    Baby biceps? BABY BICEPS? She'll take you out with those! :tongue:

By the looks of it you do not need hair advice. I think everyone should come to my house and teach me how to be a girl. I'm in a male dominated field and the last girl who talked about girl stuff with me was pointing to another girl asking what was on her nails....it was nailpolish....but it was shaped like flowers...it boggled us IT girls lol.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!