Is breakfast absolutely necessary?

Options

Replies

• grabenson7
    Options
    Yes, because then i can go through to dinner with out any this elsa, and if i dont i start to get hungry about 10 and then upsets my eat all day.
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YES. It is necessary. I used to diet without eating breakfast, didn't lose anything. Actually gained.

Nope, you gained because you still ate to much during the day.
    Thanks everyone! I'm a student so im not having to leave the house extra early. atm im usually up about 10am but like @chasetwins i cant face food. i could easily go all day without eating if i dont start! (and when i was at college i used to do this cos i was embarrassed to eat in front of others because of my size but lets not go there) but i usually eat about 1/2pm. Think i would rather eat more for my lunch than use up calories on breakfast. because after having breakfast i am starving by the time 2pm comes then i feel like im just putting food in to a bottomless pit! its terrible. but thanks!!
    If skipping breakfast works for you then go ahead with your plan. I had this same problem you have. Breakfast just made me hungrier all day, plus I was eating breakfast when I wasn't hungry. For the last 2 months my first meal isn't until 1pm on IF, best decision I could have made for myself.

Incorrect! I gained because I ate two meals and wasn't getting enough calories! It's better for your body to eat multiple smaller meals through out the day and not all of your calories at once (keeps your metabolism going). This is how my body works, I know because it's MINE. You do not. Thanks for playing though :D

You sound like an info mercial. Eveything you said is not true. You do NOT gain weight by eating too few calories. LOL.

I don't know what you want me to say, it happened to me.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    only if your drinking whiskey.

Surely that depends on which whisky?? But then again, maybe not.....
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    no
  • vwkauffman
    vwkauffman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think so. I don't like to eat breakfast myself - when I was pregnant, I HAD to eat breakfast or I'd get super nauseated. But otherwise, no. I'm losing weight and I eat breakfast about twice a week.

Remember, however, you don't have to eat "breakfast-type" food for breakfast. If you want to eat in the morning, make the meal best for you. If you'd prefer a sandwich or what have you, go for it.
  • RobinRayn
    RobinRayn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I try to get something atleast into my system within 2 hours of waking up.
  • mlcrruth
    mlcrruth Posts: 10
    Options
    And since I met my fiance she has told me repeatedly to eat breakfast. I used to never eat anything for breakfast. I have only started eating more since then. And gained.....
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If I eat cereal for breakfast I'm famished mid morning, but if I eat a couple of slices of bacon, a fried egg and some berries I usually make it to lunch pretty effortlessly.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm another non-breakfast eater... I find myself fairly hungry around 10 am regardless of breakfast (and often hungrier at that time if I have had something to eat early.) I have a really hard time staying in within my calorie range for the day when I eat breakfast, but when I don't, when I just delay eating anything until I feel hungry, then I'm fine and left with a nice big chunk of calories for my dinner - which is the way I like to eat. Make it work for you!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's only necessary if you think it is. For me- my breakfast is at ~4pm (I get up between 10am-noon usually) If I eat when I first get up I'm starving for the rest of the day. It's more important how it makes you feel and how it works for your goals. :)
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I normally DON'T eat breakfast. Maybe once a week.
    If I eat something, it's usually a nutritious donut or cinnamon roll!
  • jmgfp
    jmgfp Posts: 3
    Options
    I am not a breakfast person, but I always make myself get something into my stomach. Always a cup of tea and usually a banana or protein shake made with whey protein powder, some almond milk, fruit and ice, blend it all together and you are good to go. I stick a granola bar into my purse to snack on before lunch since I usually eat my breakfast pretty early.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Well, the first thing you're eating is breaking the night-time fast.. so technically it will be a breakfast! haha

Timing of the meal isn't important. Just make sure you meet your daily goals. As well, you don't need typical breakfast foods as your first meal. Do what works for you!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Everything I have ever read.. say's it is IMPORTANT to eat breakfast. It can help jump start your metabolism, if you eat a protein it will keep you full longer throughout the day. If you truly do not feel like eating breakfast why not opt for a home-made protein packed smoothie.. ( vanilla whey powder is great to add to smoothies and gives you the protein you need).

Read other things. "Jump Starting Metabolism" is a bunch of nonsense.
  • zeprose
    zeprose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is really essential. Many dieticians say you should have a breakfast in an hour after u get up to make your metabolism working. While you're sleeping your stomach is empty for nearly 8-9 hours. If u don't have breakfast, you'll get pretty hungry. That makes u eat much more in lunch.That is what happens to me when skipping meals.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I'll be way too hungry by lunch. Here's an article from webmd that you might find helpful.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast, if I do I'm hungry all day long and can't get on top of it.

Eating breakfast will boost your metabolism because you need to take your body out of its overnight fasting mode. You need to fuel the fire!!!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Everything I have ever read.. say's it is IMPORTANT to eat breakfast. It can help jump start your metabolism, if you eat a protein it will keep you full longer throughout the day. If you truly do not feel like eating breakfast why not opt for a home-made protein packed smoothie.. ( vanilla whey powder is great to add to smoothies and gives you the protein you need).

Read other things. "Jump Starting Metabolism" is a bunch of nonsense.
    Not really nonsense:

It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast