How come no one goes on about fromage frais?

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    never heard of it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Because it's French.

:grumble:
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i love it and also german quark
  • MagicFeather
    MagicFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    B/c most of the people on here live in the States where they don't have fromage frais and if they do, it's an expensive specialty product. But you're right, it's a great high protein, low calorie alternative. And way cheaper than Greek yoghurt in my supermarkets too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I rarely see it in the U.S. I don't think people know about it much here.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never seen this in my local supermarkets. But a quick google search makes me want to try it.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Yeap, maybe because many of us don't have many markets that sell it? I have honestly never heard of it, but I like the sound of it.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I thought it was basically cheese and sugar.

:edit:

probably the fault of this stuff (toddler crack) -

34681011h.jpg
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Wow that's been an eye opener- I thought babies across the world had a daily dose of fromage frais! Can't believe hardly anyones heard of it :) I like it better than greek yogurt, and the kids ones are gorgeous!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yah...mostly because I've never heard of it...
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Definitely a UK obsession! I like Tesco's Light Choices Normandy Fromage Frais but Sainsburys also do a really nice one. And it's in a big pot!

Have also started getting into quark though for cooking with. Loads of protein!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I already was wondering why I couldn't find a good English translation of the stuff I know as "kwark" (Dutch). It usually is lower in fat and higher in protein then yogurt although there also are very delicious high fat varieties. Yum yum!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Riiiiiiiight, now it makes sense, you guys across the pond don't get it.

I never give my daughter them petit filous, riddled with sugar! I always made my own compote with no added sugar and gave her plain with a spoon of that mixed in ;)
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    How does un-flavoured fromage frais compare to greek yoghurt in terms of sugar and fat?
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Riiiiiiiight, now it makes sense, you guys across the pond don't get it.

I never give my daughter them petit filous, riddled with sugar! I always made my own compote with no added sugar and gave her plain with a spoon of that mixed in ;)

LOL the sugar's the best bit! *tsk - making the rest of us look bad* :ohwell: :sad:

Ooh have only just realised that quark and fromage frais are essentially the same thing (could have guessed from the name) - but the quark I get is much more solid and like Philidelphia and fromage frais is more like greek yoghurt texture.... now i want some.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm from the states and they definitely don't sell it at any of my supermarkets in my area! Too bad, I'd like to try it. Greek Yogurt is pretty expensive as it is.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    From what I've read- it's similar to cottage cheese or ricotta cheese?
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes I use fromage frais but like you say I am from the UK so use it a lot
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The MFP database entries show the nutritional information is about the same as low-fat or non-fat yogurt (but less than most Greek yogurt).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/fromage-frais
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Ewww. I could not imagine putting that in the food I cook. Sorry but the greek yoghurt I eat is about 58cal for 100g so that's kinda great. Plus, I don't have it with sweet stuff. I cook with mine. Costs less than fromage frais as well. I don't know about the US, but here you can get greek yoghurt cheap.