A doc told me something no one else has....

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm not often hungry on 1200-1500 calories. And when I am, I just have a snack.
    My trouble is eating crap when I'm not hungry.
    And I know I'm not hungry when I do it, I just want to enjoy the taste of the food or de-stress from the day. Changing bad habits is hard!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't nutritionists.

Nitpick: nutritionists are pretty much worthless. It's not a regulated term. Nutritionist is the food equivalent of "personal trainer."

Dietitians, on the other hand, actually have to get a degree and be certified. They're the people who work with hospitals and doctors etc.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Nitpick: nutritionists are pretty much worthless. It's not a regulated term. Nutritionist is the food equivalent of "personal trainer."

Dietitians, on the other hand, actually have to get a degree and be certified. They're the people who work with hospitals and doctors etc.

Okay. Fine. But the point was that doctors aren't well-versed in nutrition.
  • bobbie1965
    bobbie1965 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    when my carbs are higher..i feel hungry too...So i try to keep the carbs lower & my protien & fiber higher...so far i m not feeling any discomfort from being hungry....i also eat veges & fruits for my snacking...so sugar higher but its fruits & veges!!! watermellon love my watermellon ;-)
    good luck
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

low carb diets are gimmicks. unless you plan to live that way for the rest of your life, they don't really help you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. it's better to learn how to eat all foods in moderation, because that best equips you to maintain your loss 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years down the road.

i suggest an "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach. unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, carbs and fiber are useful nutrients.

I have to disagree. I agree that its not practical to eat low carb for life, at least in the strictest sense but to call it a gimmick ... in the nicest possible way ... shows ignorance.

oh the irony..... please, please, please show me one peer reviewed study where limiting carbs had any effect on fat loss vs a control group eating the same number of calories and not limiting carbs....... please...... just 1.

I can only tell you my story and that of all the others its helped. I can write it in an academic style is thats important to you ;o)
  • jonnythan
    Options

Okay. Fine. But the point was that doctors aren't well-versed in nutrition.

Completely agree.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's not hunger it's craving.

Before calorie restricting, I would just eat out of boredom, habit or just glutton.

It takes time to switch over to actually listening to the hunger signals and in that adjustment period you will most likely think you are "hungry" but in actual fact you're craving food out of habit or addiction to sugar/salt.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I saw something similar recently about if you are hungry eat some broccoli. If you don't want the broccoli then you aren't that hungry. Same analogy as the apple except apples are delicious and I would definitely eat an apple even if I wasn't hungry. Broccoli is good too, but it doesn't curb my sweet tooth.

I'm always up for some broccoli. A huge bowl of it won't hurt my calorie goal at all. An apple though? Meh. An apple is more of a desset to me because I will usually slice it and dip it in peanut butter or caramel. (or baked in a pie)
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

I eat this way. Some people think we eat protein only but they dont realize we are simply not eating REFINED carbs which are processed foods. I get all the carbs I need from veggies or fruits. It has helped control my hunger and as a result my weight loss. :smile:
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Most of what I was going to say has already been said. I'm never hungry. I don't limit any foods. I've lost 50lbs (still have alot to go) but if I was hungry all the time I would rather just be fat. And before figuring out how to do this that's exactly what I did. I did (and still try not to) eat out of boredom but when I'm hungry I eat!! I do splurge on occasion and go over but for the most part I'm on goal!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Very good points...I had to realize that not every time I felt "hungry" I had to eat b/c sometimes it was thirst, sometimes it was pure boredom..sometimes habit (like snacking while doing bills)....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

low carb diets are gimmicks. unless you plan to live that way for the rest of your life, they don't really help you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. it's better to learn how to eat all foods in moderation, because that best equips you to maintain your loss 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years down the road.

i suggest an "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach. unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, carbs and fiber are useful nutrients.

I have to disagree. I agree that its not practical to eat low carb for life, at least in the strictest sense but to call it a gimmick ... in the nicest possible way ... shows ignorance.

oh the irony..... please, please, please show me one peer reviewed study where limiting carbs had any effect on fat loss vs a control group eating the same number of calories and not limiting carbs....... please...... just 1.

I can only tell you my story and that of all the others its helped. I can write it in an academic style is thats important to you ;o)

Nope. I'm good. Biased unscientific results based on individual results in a small sample set is all anyone should need really.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't personally find that hunger is necessary. I've never gone hungry and I haven't had any trouble. I eat filling foods and I eat enough calories. I make sure I get enough protein and fat. That's really all there is to it for me. If you're constantly uncomfortable then I'd start looking for things to tweak.

^^^ This. I've been at this for more than a year. It was only during the first couple weeks that I was hungry between meals - once I figured out some better food choices for me, I was golden. I only get hungry just before meal time, now. Which is normal for anyone.

Losing weight does not have to be torture. It's tedious as hell sometimes, but it's not torture.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm good. Biased unscientific results based on individual results in a small sample set is all anyone should need really.
    :laugh: this tickled me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    .... You do "low carb" or "keto" while eating carbs, just not refined carbs?
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    absolutly thats it. You would want to avoid having too much veg that is high in carb like tats and corn but you are good to go on the green leafy stuff.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Whilst I agree with you in many ways sometimes these discussions miss the wood for the trees.

There are no metabolic ward studies that show increased fat loss with LC in comparison to HC where calories & protein were held constant (although there are metabolic ward studies showing increased weight loss - Rabast / Stimpson spring to mind.)

There are peer reviewed studies which show increased fat loss with LC (the Wat study IIRC) but this has limitations.

I think the point is that we, the free living, do not have access to metabolic wards when conducting our fat loss journey. We don't have a team of researchers measuring and providing our food. We do not have therapists to counsel us along the way.

Usually we just have ourselves and so N=1 is the most important sample size we can have.

I think science should free us to be able to experiment in real world conditions. Low carb may work for some, in fact it may well be necessary. For others it is not necessary at all. I don't think people should be afraid to experiment or stick to what works for them simply because there is currently no RCT to support it as long as they are staying safe or not being ripped off etc...
  • PolacaFL
    Options
    .... You do "low carb" or "keto" while eating carbs, just not refined carbs?

Not sure what others do but I try not to eat refined carbs. I'll end up eating maybe two meals with refined carbs a week. My fruit intake is two servings a day and plenty of veggies (no potato or corn). The weight loss comes down to the calories but this way of eating helps curb my hunger and I end up eating a lot healthier than I did before.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I personally think that many of us forget what the real feeling of being hungry is...we get so used to the routine of picking up that fork and eating at times that our body isnt really hungry.

I started a 1200 calorie diet for myself and I have accomplished 2weeks so far and I keep telling my friends that now i know what hungry really is when my stomach is pretty much screaming at me and beating me up to eat. so far this past week I have learned to spread out my meals into 5 a decent high protien/carb diet a snack like yogurt then I usually do a protien shake for lunch another snack and then a decent dinner and drink plenty of water through the day helps alot.

Just change up how far apart you eat and eat filling things like protien and remember to always get in as much water as you can!
  • PolacaFL
    Options
    I don't think people should be afraid to experiment or stick to what works for them simply because there is currently no RCT to support it as long as they are staying safe or not being ripped off etc...

I agree! :)