Dear 16 year old me...

Options

Replies

• SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year Old Me,
    You at 5'6" 125lbs are NOT fat. You are fit and strong and amazing. If everyone insists on calling you 'cute' then own it baby! Be cuteness and love it, because you ARE cute and funny and smart. Stop listening to jerks and blaze your own trail... now. Go kick some butt girl!
    XOXO Me.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Yes, you are a good person. No, you are not fat contrary to what the clique wants you to believe. Believe in yourself!! Be the good girl you are and trust me Prince Charming does come along....with 3 little mice in tow!! You know you always wanted 3 kids!! Tell your parents more often how much you love them. And lastly....you are stronger than you believe you are, you can accomplish anything...just believe.

Love me!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Don't wear acid wash jeans. They are ugly.
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Don't wear acid wash jeans. They are ugly.

HAHAHHAHA
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me.

WOAH! We had fun didn't we. Maybe we took too many drugs, drank too much did everything in excess, but we had a ball and it shaped who I am today.

My only wish is that you had the confidence I have now to enjoy that time more - because life gets in the way eventually and you have to calm down/grow up.

11 years on me.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me:

You had fun and dodged a few bullets, your life turned out the way it was supposed to. Enjoy the rest of it and dont' worry about 16 year old you. Worry about TODAY you.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year Old Me:

Don't be in such a hurry to grow up. You have many years to fall in love and be a grown up and not nearly enough to be young and carefree. Oh and the boy who broke up with you last summer that broke your heart? Your mom was right, he's gay. Trust me. He comes out to you years later and it all becomes much clearer to you why he was not the one for you.

A size five (juniors) is small enough that you can just wear that two piece bathing suit to the beach. You don't always have to wear shorts or a cover up to hide your "huge hips". What you're seeing is not real.

Finish high school the traditional way. Next year you're going to take the test to get out of high school early and it's going to be a colossal mistake. You will miss out on a traditional senior year and all that goes with it, and you will regret it later.

That guy you start dating next year turns out to be a total *kitten*, but he will become of the father of the biggest blessing of your life so date him anyway. The fallout from the relationship is MORE than worth what you got from it.

Love,
    43 Year Old Me
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Please listen to your parents. You think that "getting back at them" is worth losing everything. It's not. So much pain and loss when you hit 18 because of it. They love you!

Also, stop hating China. When you get back, it's the only thing you will talk about. You are going to miss everything sooooo much, especially Anna.

You don't know everything, you aren't better than anyone else. Stop trying to show off. You have talent and potential. Let people help you develop it!

And lastly...you are so loved. I wish you had made some better decisions, but you will have so much to look forward to.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old self,

You are going to do okay. Believe in yourself.

Love me.

P.S. phone your grandparents often. You will miss their wisdom, their stories and their naughty jokes.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Dear past me (16 years old),

The depression and eating disorder you are experiencing is not permanent. The pain and suffering will end. You'll try and fail at gaining control over your weight and emotions for years but eventually you will figure out a way how to manage it all. You'll even learn to love exercise, especially weight lifting, and eating healthy. You will eventually not obsess about wanting to be perfect constantly and be free from self-doubt.
    In the next two years, your dad will get in contact with you. You've never known him but he is going to teach you a lot about yourself for a very short time and then he is going to leave again. This time permanently. Call him often and work harder to have healthy communication with him. He will die in the same week as your birthday and you will regret not calling him. Call him.

Dear current me (22 years old),

Stop wasting so much time online. Study more. Don't stress about having no friends. You're too focused on your goals to make time for people who don't want the best for you. Continue building the awesome healthy habits you have started in the last year. They make you feel way better about yourself than the negative influences you have always known. Learn to manage your time and money better. Use sunscreen and keep chugging that water!

Dear future me,

I wonder what career you end up settling on. I wonder who your soul mate is because that would give me a lot of clarity about the relationship I am in now. I hope you are proud of the choices you made :) You worked VERY hard in school and should be proud of that.

Signed,
    Me.

Edit: Wanted to add some stuff.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, it's 1989, but girl...your hair. Here, let me fix it.

2. Stay a virgin. Oops, too late. Stop putting out!

3. Lose weight NOW, and don't waste the next 20 years being fat (and gaining another 100 pounds).
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me..
    Study harder, get into a good college. You are so much smarter than you know or show right now. Don't let yourself be a cautionary tale of a woman woman who is 34 with a million things she wants to do.

I know you are a skinny little thing, but get into sports. Have fun. MOVE. One day you are going to be 28 just starting that lifestyle and it's going to feel weird.

Love yourself more. Way more.
    Oh and moisturize.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://www.futureme.org/

write a letter to your future self.
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Dont date the girl from band class, she has crabs

And kill drake so the phrase YOLO never exists.

Also stock up on twinkies, use your left hand during alone time more, and dry to remember that cocaine is a hell of a drug.

k thanx

HAHAHAHAHA I KNOW RIGHT!>?!?!?!?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Don't change a thing. What you've done and what you've been through has made you the woman you are today.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    Dear 16 Year old Me - the Most Likely to Succeed at school, won't. The Prettiest won't be for long. You are better than you think you are. You'll find out that there were people jealous of shy, insecure YOU. Find who you are and stay true to that. There's no reward in trying to please everyone. Be yourself and embrace it.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Dear 16-year-old Valerie,
    Just because someone wants to date you in the coming years doesn't mean you have to let them. Never go out with Rick. Ever. Tell Chris you love him. If he lets you down, you can handle it, but you will regret not showing him how important he was to you so you didn't look desperate. Break up with Brian right when he starts trying to change you, not two years later when you're nearly worn down. Don't hesitate with Steve. He's the one.

Just because you weigh 87 pounds doesn't mean you have to treat every day like it's the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Learn what a portion is and what hungry and full feel like. That will be a good skill for when your metabolism slows down.

Yeah, you work hard, but being busy isn't a contest to win. Go out more, say yes more. But mostly, girl, you keep kicking *kitten*. I like you.
    -42V
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Wax your eyebrows, sweetie there should be two. Nothing you are experiencing right now will matter to you in eight months. Black eyeliner should never be worn around the lips, and the guy who you are "dying" for? Well, he grows up to be an inmate number... also he has fathered many children, rumor has it with a flaccid penis that cool girl who hated you?. She peaked in high school and boobs touch her knees now. Anyway relax be easy, and please remember there are other ways to "earn" beads when you head to New Orleans for spring break 2001.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Dear 16yr old me,

Your not as hideous as you've always thought and although you always said those cuts reminded you of where you came from, I wish you hadn't felt the need to make them in the first place. You will find unconditional love and he will tell you he loves you and your beautiful several times a day for years to come, just hold on. Forgive your parents for they know not what they do and neither will live to see your 30th birthday. Don't trust your mom's boyfriend, she'll marry him and he'll take everything. Your much stronger than you think you are so don't let ANY of those people tell you any different. One day you will be more than just ok.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year Old Me,

Hold on just a little bit longer. I promise the moment you get control over your own life, you will be infinitely happier. It won't matter if you go directly to college or work three jobs and are always a little hungry; the instant you are out of the house your stress level will go WAY DOWN.

Have better standards on who you date. Despite what your experiences have taught you; you are worth loving! Since you won't meet the man you will marry for another decade, you may want to at least choose to date more fun men rather than having your heart broken by boring ones. Be single, fancy free, and have fun (until you are minimum 27).

Choose better coping mechanisms. Don't hold your friends so distant. Music, Art, Photography, Great Friends, and Nature...these are the ways to express your emotions. Don't lock down your emotions. You will heal faster if you don't run and hide so much.

Life gets better and will be full of joy very soon. The rest of this will be easy by comparison.

Love you,

36 year old me.