A doc told me something no one else has....

Options
123457»

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Low carb can work with people who have dramatic spikes in insulin levels. Lowering carbohydrate can assist with that and decrease hunger. Calories do matter, so monitoring those is important too. There's nothing wrong with low carb - it's not 'no carb' it's 'low carb'. I get tired of people claiming a low carb diet cuts out all carbs. It's funny how people get so defensive over a macro nutrient that is not technically required by our bodies.

Low carb is one approach that might work for the OP, and there's nothing wrong with suggesting it just as there's nothing wrong with suggesting a IIFYM approach.

The problem with low carb for the vast majority of people is that it doesn't actually address the problem.

Low carb doesn't really offer many, if any, benefits over more traditional and sensible methods. And the kicker is that pretty much no one is going to do "low carb" forever. So being on no carb to lose weight doesn't actually teach you to make healthy choices in the future.

So when you realize your long term goal isn't immediate weight loss, low carb makes less sense. Your long term goal is to learn to make good choices within the confines of a normal, sustainable diet. That's what IIFYM is all about. Eat whatever food you want - that can be nothing but organic whole foods, if that's what matters to you - as long as you fit it into your calorie and macro goals.

Low carb offers an advantage for those with metobolic issues, and while those people are not the majority, numbers are rising to be a significant minority and that cannot be ignored. So I am suggesting an alternative - and that alternative most certainly 'addresses the problem' for me. Low carb isn't "no more cake or pasta or bread ever again for the rest of my life' - it's perfectly sustainable, just like CICO/IIFYM can be for others.
  • mailonline
    Options
    Refined carbs are not needed, unrefined carbs are needed. Veggies (I am not one) live long and healthy lives eating a ton of healthy carbs.

Are you all living in the USA? No-one from the UK here?
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That's a great note. I always know that I will struggle with my stomach yelling at me, but I never really think about being grumpy. I've read about the hormones stored and released in fat, but I never once correlated that with my attitude or fluctuations in my behavior. This is a great note!! I can think of it this way and know that while I am working hard to lose the weight, I'll be working against my body and my attitude (because of hormones) as well.

Thank you!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Low carb can work with people who have dramatic spikes in insulin levels. Lowering carbohydrate can assist with that and decrease hunger. Calories do matter, so monitoring those is important too. There's nothing wrong with low carb - it's not 'no carb' it's 'low carb'. I get tired of people claiming a low carb diet cuts out all carbs. It's funny how people get so defensive over a macro nutrient that is not technically required by our bodies.

Low carb is one approach that might work for the OP, and there's nothing wrong with suggesting it just as there's nothing wrong with suggesting a IIFYM approach.

protein spikes insulin as much if not more than carbs. I am not sure what your statement is saying exactly.

this is not true.

He's right - it's blood sugar levels that rise more dramatically with carbs rather than the insulin response per se.

and high blood sugar causes an insulin response.

Correct but how large this is or how detrimental it will be depends on the individual's metabolic profile.

In healthy functioning metabolisms it's not problematic. If you have insulin resistance then it becomes a big deal.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

I do this and lost about 50 lbs and have kept it off. Steady insulin, can go a day without getting hungry (not recommended) and a ton of energy.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

Yup, one can lose weight without hunger. I'm living proof. In addition, I've had a number of illnesses cured by changing WHAT I eat. It was life threatening illness that made me change my lifestyle, drastically. The weight loss sure is a nice bonus though. (I would stress that the low carb/keto lifestyle should still be based on whole, natural foods as much as possible. Artificial sweeteners are not part of a healthy lifestyle imo.)
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For me.... I'm not really sure if it's so much the feeling hungry as it is the addiction! I quit smoking 6 yrs ago and feel that same feeling from both. It's an addiction that has to be broken. Just my opinion!
  • DeannaAtkins08
    Options
    Life is so bitter sweet!!!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think there was a short time when that was true. Here are a few tips for not being hungry.

- Eat foods that fill you up. A good combination of high-quality carbs and protein will help. IE: 0% Greek yogurt with a sliced apple etc. Junk doesn't fill you up, so get rid of it.
    - Spread out your calories. Make sure you eat smaller meals, and eat snacks.
    - People are different, some are hungrier in the morning and other at night. Have your larger meal at that time.
    - Dink water, sometimes that will take away the huger and help us to feel more full. I suggest drinking a large glass 15 minutes before you eat.
    - Exercise takes away the cravings.

And yes, there will be some times when you are hungry, so?

I was almost 100 pounds overweight laying in the ICU - I'll take life and hunger any day.

I agree with this. I've lost 72 pounds, so far, and I rarely give myself a chance to get hungry. I have my moments, when a make poor choices but if you are eating the right foods, you will not be hungry. I usually eat five times per day.

My lunch and dinner is at least half vegetables and I squeeze in other fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Lean protein and foods made from whole grains are also very filling.

Here are some foods that are low in calories and they are nutrient dense that you can pretty much eat as much as you want.

- cumcumbers
    - citrus fruit
    - celery
    - apples
    - kelp
    - asparagus
    - apricots
    - watermelon
    - tomatoes
    - broccoli
    - cauliflower
    - strawberries
    - leafy greens
    - red chili peppers
    - mushrooms
    - red bell pepper
    - summer squash
    - Turnips
    - green tea
    - water

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/20-healthy-zero-calorie-foods
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I get false hunger pangs when I'm detoxing from sugar. It might be worth some reflection and experimenting to see if you have a sugar sensitivity that leads to false hunger pangs.

For me, detoxing takes 3 -4 days, and then I feel mostly OK on my deficit of 500 calories. When I'm on a sugar free diet, I have no hunger through the day (but often go to bed hungry.)

I'm on day 2 of my detox today. Breakfast and lunch added up to about 1100 calories, so I only have 250 left and I'm having intense hunger pangs. I know from experience that my body isn't truly hungry, it's just complaining because it's not getting it's fix.

I'm more sensitive to sugar's effects than most people, but if you indeed are someone who has sugar sensitivity, and you indulge in a "reasonable" serving of dessert twice a week, you're going to be hungry constantly. That's no fun!

The longest period of time that I was sugar free was about 4 months, and they were the happiest months of my life, as far as well being goes. I'm on my fourth detox this year, and I'm determined to make this one last! It's so easy to forget how difficult the detox is, and it's so tempting to believe that a little scoop of ice cream couldn't honestly cause so much trouble.

Sorry I'm ranting....just so hungry...can't eat while I'm typing!
  • Toomanytwinkies
    Toomanytwinkies Posts: 42 Member
    Options

^^^
    I started this way of eating about a week and a half ago. I have to say I don't feel starved all the time and my weight is finally going down
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    That is true. I felt those effects before and it is not a fun thing to deal with. Dropping carbs can be a huge adjustment for some people. Although when I started using the Paleo diet, it wasn't hard at all because the components is just so perfectly balanced and it helps a lot.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I get false hunger pangs when I'm detoxing from sugar. It might be worth some reflection and experimenting to see if you have a sugar sensitivity that leads to false hunger pangs.

For me, detoxing takes 3 -4 days, and then I feel mostly OK on my deficit of 500 calories. When I'm on a sugar free diet, I have no hunger through the day (but often go to bed hungry.)

I'm on day 2 of my detox today. Breakfast and lunch added up to about 1100 calories, so I only have 250 left and I'm having intense hunger pangs. I know from experience that my body isn't truly hungry, it's just complaining because it's not getting it's fix.

I'm more sensitive to sugar's effects than most people, but if you indeed are someone who has sugar sensitivity, and you indulge in a "reasonable" serving of dessert twice a week, you're going to be hungry constantly. That's no fun!

The longest period of time that I was sugar free was about 4 months, and they were the happiest months of my life, as far as well being goes. I'm on my fourth detox this year, and I'm determined to make this one last! It's so easy to forget how difficult the detox is, and it's so tempting to believe that a little scoop of ice cream couldn't honestly cause so much trouble.

Sorry I'm ranting....just so hungry...can't eat while I'm typing!

huh?

are you saying you have a legit medical condition? or do you think sugars are "toxins"?

seriously, huh??
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    In my own personal experience, I find that sugar is "toxic" in the sense that it affects my sense of well being and self control. No, I don't have a medical diagnosis, but there are lots of people who have made the same discoveries about themselves in regards to sugar. Believe me, no one wants to admit that life is better without sugar, it's a hard thing to accept.

I'm convinced there is a biologic component at work here, not a psychological one. When I refrain from eating sugar and empty carbs for a number of days, I don't have the incessant urge to overeat. Honestly, when I'm consuming sugar in my diet, I feel compelled to eat all the time. It's an intense, constant battle that ruins my life and my health.

Discovering that going sugar free stops all the craziness is such a gift, but it's a commitment that I haven't yet had the good sense to be consistent with:( But I'll keep picking myself up and going through the detox over and over till I get it right! I'm not giving up. For me, living without sugar is the only way to true happiness and freedom and health.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can say that when I started my journey here on mfp, I indeed found myself going to bed 'hungry' for about the first 7 to 10 days.
    An unheard of situation for me since evenings was ALWAYS my worst time for cravings, and I indulged them.

But once I started really tracking what I was eating, here on mfp, I did not give in to the cravings anymore. I had a hard time getting to sleep at times because i was so 'hungry' (I thought).

I was pleasantly surprised actually, when all of a sudden, after about a week, I realized one morning I had not felt hungry the night before, AND I had actually fallen asleep far more easily than in the past.
    This was after just a week of a LOT more water than I was used to, as well as cutting out as much processed foods, refine flours and sugars etc., as possible. (sure I had sugars still, just not refined ones, or artificial sweeteners).
    I was already feeling more energy, sleeping more easily and 'better', and I simply felt more motivated than I ever really had before, to keep going! It was like I had foun the 'switch' in my head AND stomach, and both were now on and operating at peak performance! No more mixed messages.

What was actually more difficult, in comparison, was once I decided I had gone far enough (75 lbs gone) and switched to maintenance.
    I struggled to get enough calories to maintain, while trying to not add back more of the cakes/breads type foods I had eliminated (and stopped craving!).
    Adding back even just a little more than I'd been eating for a year, triggered my cravings for those 'treat' foods all over again and it has been a constant struggle ever since, and my 'brain' betrays me all the time by trying to convince me I am 'starving' when in fact I KNOW it is just those rotten cravings I spent all my life battling, and had kicked for awhile.

I regret having undone all the good work I had done in beating those cravings and getting more in touch with what actual hunger was. In fact the only cravings I had for awhile was for homemade vegetable soup! *LOL* Now? it's for pancakes or banana bread.

Now I am trying to get myself back in the same frame of mind to beat those cravings to the curb again.. 'cause I have a bunch of summer shorts and dresses I want to be able to wear and right now I know they will be too tight.

I miss being 'hungry'... never thought I'd say that! *LOL*

No need to check out my diary at the moment.. *LOL*... it is not looking the way I want it to look, but every meal is another opportunity to take control.. so... bring on summer!

Just my personal experience, had to share :)
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A couple of nights ago, I didn't sleep because I was so hungry. One night I was making dinner and was tempted to eat raw chicken because the thought of waiting even 10 more minutes to eat was absolute torture for me. I was that hungry. In fact, the only time I ever maintained a healthy bmi was when I was hungry pretty much every moment of the day. Sucks to be me :(. Very happy some people have escaped this problem.
  • jeep1lover
    jeep1lover Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Blance and eliminating processed foods. Look at your plate. You should see fresh lean meats fresh fruit and fresh vegatibales. The foods that ruin a healthy diet are foods found In boxes, cans and packages. Yes you will have times of hunger because your brain and body thinks you have to maintatin your current weight. Plan your meals and don't leave meals to chance. You will feel less hunger.
  • pfeif93
    pfeif93 Posts: 2
    Options
    My overall goal is 1450, with some exercise, I'm at about 1800. After all my meals, snacks etc... I'm over 600 shy of the 1800 metric. So, a slice of cheese and some peanut butter later... I'm about 400 shy.

Here's my question. I think I should burn more than I eat. 600 calories short would be too little to eat. Right?