Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Unfortunately most kids are not in good shape but its the parents responsibility to get their child in shape.

Amen. My son runs with me so that P.E. is not an issue, he also plays tennis. You simply cannot take an out of shape child that is still growing and expose them to adult tailored programs. Its specifically states 18 and older for a REASON. Most gym teachers are not equipped with enough training or education to understand how a child's body is still growing and needs age appropriate exercise. If you don't believe, just ask my brother who's an E.R. physician that sees MANY exercised induced injuries in children. It really really pisses him off.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    THIS. IS. CRAZY!!! Kids muscles aren't developed enough to do intense workouts like this. I hear this can cause serious permanent damage. My teen sister is my best workout partner. We do Zumba, SHORT sessions of Insanity, and Rockin' Body but this is one or two times/wk, not every day and we switch up the workouts. I would never make her do a full Insanity session as I can't do it myself, yet. Being required to do this without the parent's consent is WRONG. When I was in high school, we did Sweatin To The Oldies. I think that, or Tae Bo, maybe a good option, but Insanity is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, what is the gym teacher doing while the kids are watching a video. How lazy is that?!

Are you kidding me? This is the perfect time to get them started on programs such as this, when their muscles are developing. Why? Because exercising causes blood to be pumped to that part of the body which means more nutrients and oxygen to build stronger better bodies. You yourself said your sister is DOING Insanity. And notice the OP did not say the teacher had them doing it EVERY DAY. Also, just because YOU can't do the full DVD that doesn't mean your sister isn't capable of it. Never judge your capabilities to that of others.

Besides, the PARENTS DO GIVE CONCENT. They do it when for one they have to sign wavers (permission slips) at the begining of the year, and two when the child is sent home with the next year's schedule of classes and you have to approve of it before you turn it in. What part of physical education do you think wouldn't be physical? What? You think they would stand around twiddling their thumbs the whole class period?

Finally, Insanity is a DVD program that you go at YOUR pace. Same as Zumba, same as Sweating to the Oldies. You go at YOUR pace. So it doesn't matter if the teacher put the DVD in, if the kids only put forth a 25% effort they won't hardly be getting any of the intensity anway.

I did some research and found that there are new studies showing that strength training can be beneficial and not harmful to children. Again, this is new evidence. People used to think that it could be harmful. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. and YES, they can go at their own pace, but if you're amongst peers, you may push yourself harder, maybe too hard... and oftentimes, in my own experience, gym teachers push you even harder.

Good, it is good that kids are actually being pushed to their limits. Because of the NCLBA, too often are kids allowed to believe that they can skate by with out trying. There is a reason why children are graduating high school and not able to tell you what the capital of the U.S. is, or where the Statue of Liberty came from. If they are being pushed, then good! I am glad. They need to be.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    proffesional Golder in the masters = 14
    proffesional Footballers, (uk) =16
    olympic gymnasts =12

kids can cope in the adult world of proffesional sport.... your body has a natural mechanism for coping when your exerting to much .. i think they will be ok

bearing in mind im 23 and played sport at a national level at 16... didnt kill me..
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Most gym teachers are not equipped with enough training or education to understand how a child's body is still growing and needs age appropriate exercise.

What?! "Most gym teachers are not equipped with the only knowledge they require in order to do their job"?
  • Jesswatt10
    Options
    Have you thought about calling her pediatrician to get their professional opinion about it? I think that should be the first step before you go down and talk to the principal.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't totally agree with the Insanity workout IF they are not being supervised, which it sounds like they are. My son is in the 6th grade and they get to use Nautilus equipment 2-3 times a week in gym. I think it's fantastic because it helps him with his track/cross country running while helping the other kids who don't typically get to workout at home or play a sport. However, this class only lasts 9 weeks, and I find that very sad. Should be all year.

To the Middle School "Home Ec" Teacher: That is fantastic! My son's school also has that program (I think it's called Family Practical Living) and I loved him helping me with the laundry, wanting to cook, learning how to do bugets, etc...

My daughter is in the 3rd grade and is doing C25K at school. Some people have said this is too demanding. I think it's fantastic and they will get to run (if they choose) in a 5k in May as a school. My whole family will be running with them.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Barcelona signed Lionel Messi when he was 11. Seemed to work out ok.
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Both my 9th and 11th graders have done this in their school. It's okay, except that my daughters have asthma, so I emailed the teacher and asked him to modify for them, and that they would be able to "listen to their own body". He was cooperative. I, as a fitness instructor myself, know how important it is to work at your PERSONAL best.
  • maisid
    maisid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This might be a little out of context, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

I have a 11 year old (just turned 11) and for her to be able to use the computer or her wii (limited to one hour a day) she has to work out for 30 minutes each day. Because she doesn't like running or most other sports she has asked to do my Insanity workouts.
    So we actually do them together sometimes, but I only let her do the ones from the first 4 weeks!!! I always monitor her while she is working out, to make sure she keeps the proper form and doesn't get hurt.

I have NO problem with kids doing Insanity or any other hard workout in school. I actually think they should, nothing feels more rewarding than being done with a hard workout and knowing what you have achieved.
    PE class should be hard, and it should make you sweat. Most kids nowadays don't move enough and most kids don't actually know how to move at all. A study has shown that young kids don't know how to run backwards, they can't even coordinate jumping jacks.
    I even see if in my university gym classes, some of those young adults have no coordination and terrible movements.

I believe that Insanity as well as any other demanding will sports can only be benefitial for kids as well as young adults.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think the context matters a lot, so I won't comment on whether it's right or not since I don't know all the details.

What I will say is that I don't think it's a bad things for kids to be struggling in gym class. Particularly with bodyweight movements, I think putting them out of their comfort zone can be a good thing.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fantastic teacher! My son's grade school started an afterschool fitness club and was astounded when so many kids signed up, they had to split it into to classes. He was 8-years-old and LOVED it.

Chill out
  • rduhlir
    Options
    My daughter is in the 3rd grade and is doing C25K at school. Some people have said this is too demanding. I think it's fantastic and they will get to run (if they choose) in a 5k in May as a school. My whole family will be running with them.

I think this is a twisted mind set that we have developed. People seem to forget, that the older generation now would run 3 miles everyday just playing. It is silly to think that something like C25K is "too demanding" to a child, when they would naturally be doing that when playing every day.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    From the beachbody website:

INSANITY is an extreme and physically demanding workout. This is NOT for beginners or individuals with any medical condition that may be compromised by extreme cardio and strength exercise. Consult your physician and read the enclosed materials before beginning the program.
    No marketed workout that I know of is devoid of the "consult your physician before starting" warning, as a failsafe against lawsuits. As for the "extreme. . . not for beginners" aspect - as indicated before - I'd call that more of a marketing gimmick than anything.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My son's PE teacher makes them do Cup Stacking. I would much rather him do Insanity than CUP STACKING!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    My son's PE teacher makes them do Cup Stacking. I would much rather him do Insanity than CUP STACKING!

Cup stacking? Why not basket weaving?
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There are going to be some ripped 9th graders!
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options

Cup Stacking? wasn't aware that was a sport lol
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how it's anymore intense than the conditioning that elementary/high school football/basketball players do. I wish PE had been more about structured exercise programs instead of playing dodge ball when I was in school.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old twins are a green belt in karate; they do their share of mountain climbers, push ups and everything else they do on Insanity and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This hit a raw nerve for me because gym class is not "one size fits all". I hated gym class because it was heavy on team sports and I'm awful at team sports. I wish the teacher had taken me aside and taught me how to throw a ball, how to aim a bat, etc... It occurred to me as I got older and wiser that this is how the academically average kids probably felt in the classroom. I was healthy. normal weight, loved swimming and bicycling, but not co-ordinated enough to do much beyond that. I'd like to see some options for PE, so kids could select Tae Bo, yoga, team sports, etc. but that's probably too much to ask.

As for the teacher in the OP- my main concern (in addition to the fact that the Insanity workout may be too much for kids who've been sedentary) is the frequency of gym class. If it's, say, Monday and Thursday, do they ever reach any level of fitness? Or do the sedentary kids just end up strained and sore, then lose their fitness level, then have to start all over a few days later?