Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The kids are going to half-as$ the workout anyway because they're kids so I see nothing wrong with this. They will only do what they can. Most of the girls are probably trying not to get sweaty anyhow.

Calm down.
  • overbaughs
    Options
    I can see both sides. On one hand, the sports and activities they do in gym these days are usually a joke and monotonous. On the other hand, Insanity is something that a lot of healthy adults cannot even do. I would have at least asked for the parents permission.
  • whatshouldieat
    whatshouldieat Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side at least there not sitting on the couch engulfed in the latest video game, eating cheetos and drinking soda. I give two thumbs up to the P.E. teacher that decided this.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in grade 9 and they do P90X workouts. They also spin, zumba, weight lift and do yoga...

These things all sound much more awesome than my gym classes, which were limited to running and playing ball-oriented sports that someone who is not extremely coordinated like myself always sucked at.

Yeah we did netball, and forced them to let us girls play football......... I was terrified of tennis/badminton, I have the coordination of a drunk koala
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I wonder if those whom said the PE teacher was lazy would feel this way if he/she were preforming the dvd with the children?

I must say i kinda LOL at those who think the children are frail and too small to exercise. I started lifting weights with my dad at 10… These kids can have babies, join the military and play sports with the ability to get them in on college scholarships or professional sports.
    Yes, I would still call the teacher lazy. Develop a program, don't copy someone elses.
    So a hitting coach that follows - for example - Walt Hriniak's program for teaching a proper approach at the plate is being "lazy?" Or is it just gym teachers who use techniques that have already shown success that get that label?
    If the teacher was using the program verbatim, yes I would. I'm not saying to not incorporate elements into the program. Just don't copy the whole program.

I would say the same thing about non-PE classes. If a teacher came in and read verbatim out of the book every class, I would say the same thing about that teacher.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Dear lord. Some people are way over reacting.

An Insanity DVD is no more or less dangerous than climbing a high rope, tackling in flag football (which happened ALL THE TIME) or getting a dodge ball repeatedly beamed at your head.

This was exactly my thought too. :)

We had a 30 foot rope with a wrestling mat underneath it to "save" us. :) In elementary school.

It's interesting how delicate and yet dedicated people think kids are. When kids get tired they stop.

So true! I remember that darn rope like it was yesterday.....*shudder*.....but, you know what? I made it up the rope! I'm in CrossFit now and I can't even begin to climb a rope. Kids are much more athletic than adults.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's next though, because "at least it's better than doing nothing" and also because we "signed a permission slip at the beginning of the year"? What? (Glad some people chimed in this is sometimes false). Pole dancing will follow. Anything goes, our kids are obese we gotta bring it to their level and spoon feed them and make it fun and easy to shell out for the staff. Woo hoo.

Insanity leads to pole dancing just like fly fishing leads to genocide.

I learned analogies in my English->ritualistic slaughter of 18th century French literature professors teaching at universities with a C in the name.

Not sure what's wrong with pole dancing anyway? It's an extremely effective leg workout. Or is there a fear that everyone who attempts pole dancing in the name of fitness will by default become a stripper?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I wonder if those whom said the PE teacher was lazy would feel this way if he/she were preforming the dvd with the children?

I must say i kinda LOL at those who think the children are frail and too small to exercise. I started lifting weights with my dad at 10… These kids can have babies, join the military and play sports with the ability to get them in on college scholarships or professional sports.
    Yes, I would still call the teacher lazy. Develop a program, don't copy someone elses.
    So a hitting coach that follows - for example - Walt Hriniak's program for teaching a proper approach at the plate is being "lazy?" Or is it just gym teachers who use techniques that have already shown success that get that label?
    If the teacher was using the program verbatim, yes I would. I'm not saying to not incorporate elements into the program. Just don't copy the whole program.

I would say the same thing about non-PE classes. If a teacher came in and read verbatim out of the book every class, I would say the same thing about that teacher.
    Then I commend you on being able to completely create from scratch everything you do in your life. . . or am sorry you feel yourself "lazy."
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Good.
  • EmAnCiNaS
    EmAnCiNaS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I WISH i could do Insanity at school. It's better than sitting around just goofing off.

i agree ^^^
    I think is a great idea.. we are talking about 9th graders.. not 5th or 3rd.. these are teenagers who just started highschool, and that means that most of them worry about their looks.. you dont wait till you are 18yrs to worry about that right?
    I say if you feel like you want to look good, and that is giving you an A+ in Gym class.. then go for it.. :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I've done Insanity, and I have kids although they have a few years to go for high school. I think it's a great workout, as long as the teacher was supervising and not just leaving the room while the DVD was on. I agree with whoever posted that showing workout DVDs is a GOOD option for kids. It's a realistic example of how people stay fit in real life without having to join a gym or be "good" at a particular sport. Oh, you create all of your own workouts on your own with no pre-created program? Good for you--I guess that makes you better than most of us.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Most gym teachers are not equipped with enough training or education to understand how a child's body is still growing and needs age appropriate exercise.

What?! "Most gym teachers are not equipped with the only knowledge they require in order to do their job"?

In all my years of school I never had a "fit" gym teacher. Not even close. and I would agree with the previous poster they have no clue about these things.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I've done Insanity, and I have kids although they have a few years to go for high school. I think it's a great workout, as long as the teacher was supervising and not just leaving the room while the DVD was on. I agree with whoever posted that showing workout DVDs is a GOOD option for kids. It's a realistic example of how people stay fit in real life without having to join a gym or be "good" at a particular sport.

Totally agree. I think it's irresponsible for a PE teacher to leave the room during any workout. They are paid to supervise so they should supervise.
    Oh, you create all of your own workouts on your own with no pre-created program? Good for you--I guess that makes you better than most of us.

I didn't say anything like that...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I would have loved doing this in gym instead of all the competitive sports.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Totally agree. I think it's irresponsible for a PE teacher to leave the room during any workout. They are paid to supervise so they should supervise.
    Oh, you create all of your own workouts on your own with no pre-created program? Good for you--I guess that makes you better than most of us.

I didn't say anything like that...

^^that wasn't directed at you. That was a sarcastic comment to a couple other posters who said everyone should come up with their own program.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We did (yes I'm dating myself) things like sweating to the oldies during gym...which is no where near on that level. If the program is for 18 + years then I do think they need parent permission unless they aren't pushing the kids as hard as the video's due. I do think child hood obesity is a problem but pushing them to the point of getting sick is not the answer.

Who said they were pushing to the point of getting sick. Insanity is a go at your pace work out system. If you have done it to the point where you are making yourself sick then you are going TOO hard.

The kids should be doing something where if they did it all out, they would not get sick, but get a feeling of accomplishment. You cannot tell a group of little kids to do something "only a little bit" get real. Have you ever coached? Do you even lift?

LOL - I'm obsessed with you now.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    As long as they are CLOSELY monitored.

9th grade PE is usually a required class, so you have students in there who A) Don't want to be and B) led a sedentary life. Throwing them straight into an intense plyometric exercise routine could cause some issues. Plus, since they have been sedentary, they don't know the warning signs to look for when becoming fatigued/exhausted.

My 2 cents.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    For track in high school, we would do insanity or p90x a couple days a week. But most of us were incredibly athletically inclined and it was a great workout. Then there would be the dozen or so of us (me included, it was mostly jumpers and throwers and the odd person who would join the team to get in shape) who weren't quite as much in our own little group off to the side doing the workout at half speed or lower intensity. Everyone was made to take water breaks a couple times throughout and we were allowed to go for a water break whenever we felt it necessary as well. I think insanity is easy to modify based on your level of athleticism so as long as the gym teachers are not forcing the children to do the workout at full speed, then I don't see why it's a problem.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have completed Insanity and honestly, I am 100 pounds over weight and had no problems with it, I can't imagine a teenager having issues doing them.

As long as the gym teacher is stressing to go at their own pace, and to hydrate during the 30 second break they will survive.

When I was in younger I dropped out of PE, for my own reasons and with a a Doctors note but I remember having to do burpees, suicides, running, jumping jacks, etc etc etc, at a high pace because the final numbers counted. My VBall coach actually made it so that if we lost we had to do suicides and burpees for an entire practice - you learn in a hurry that you don't want to lose (we still lost but we put forth our best effort to not lose). I was also in the best shape of my life because of that and swimming.

I also remember doing aerobics, and line dancing, and all kinds of weird *kitten* in gym not just sports. Also keep in mind sometimes these gym teachers are not actually gym teachers but math and science teachers that take over being the gym teacher.

What is the difference if that student decided they wanted to do the program in their own bedroom/living room themselves? Parents can stop them from buying the program but if they are any kind of computer kid they will know they can find the work out on line - youtube/torrents etc. Not that hard I am sure they are more monitored in a gym class atmosphere than they are at home.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When I was in highschool, I played basket ball & Volleyball, and our volleyball coach was brutal! Her workouts were much tougher than any Insaity workout! But, we were in GREAT shape! So I really have no problem with it...