*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    @meg - thanks for the recipe. Looks really nice - will have to try that this week.

@steph - we went to see Tom Cruise in Oblivion. I don't normally like him very much but it was quite good fun - and quite thouhgt provoking in places. Would recommend it - and I stayed awake! Hope everything gets easier with the nursery - your little girl will be loving it before long, sure you'll both get used to the routine.

@steph_135 - good luck with the puzzles and the 'you time' - sounds good!

@Diane - good luck with the water drinking. I hate those days when you could just eat everything in sight - hang in there and you'll feel really good about it tomorrow.

Had a day of continuing to sort stuff from the house move and getting rid of empty boxes. All good fun - now preparing to sit down with a nice bowl of curry! Finally have the Wii set up again so have done a wii fitness workout as well as working on the cross trainer so feeling good about the day so far.
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi friends! I am not feeling well, so I am keeping this short and sweet. Have a wonderful weekend!

"A year from now you may wish you had started today." ~ Karen Lamb
  • acadia95
    acadia95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    May I join your "thread"? I have been using mfp for 18 months now. I did really well at first...lost 34 pounds. But since October the weight has been steadily creeping back. I seem to have lost my motivation. I need help!!!
  • janetay01
    Options
    @tru - sorry to hear you are not feeling so good - hope you feel better tomorrow

@arcadia - welcome! I've not been part of this thread for long but the support is great - encourages you and makes you more accountable for your food and exercise choices.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @Steph_135, sounds like puzzles are a good way to keep the hands busy! Good luck getting back in the swing of things :happy:

@Tru, feel better soon! Remember to drink lots of water.

@Jane, I bet it's nice to get settled in. Wii fit is fun! Even my little 3 year old can do it, with a little help. He's pretty funny too, when I am doing yoga on there, he will stand beside me and do all the moves with me.

@acadia, feel free to join! Anyone is welcome here :bigsmile: Hopefully you'll catch some motivation from us!

Well, I've had a mostly good Saturday. The first part wasn't so great (TOM arrived, killer cramps!), but I got myself up and moving, went to meet my Dad for a walk in the woods on the logging roads behind his house. 3.4 miles, elevation gains of 987.5 feet & 649 calories burned. Came home, inhaled some lunch, I was so hungry! Then I went a bit crazy and did an hour of zumba... Problem is, now I have over 2000 calories left in my daily allowance! No way those all are getting eaten. Dinner is going to be so yummy! Jamaican jerk chicken with red beans and rice. I'm kind of drooling just thinking about it.
  • lcasselm
    lcasselm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI:My name is LIsa and I have been trying to lose the same 40-50 pounds for the last 15 years. I really do like the tracker on my fitness pal but I need some support too! There are periods during the day when I am not interested in food but once I start eating I have a hard time stopping - just continual grazing.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Jane... Thanks! Started a hard puzzle! It's going to take a while. I think moving is so much fun! We've been at this place for over 6 years, and are looking to move SOON! All of out stuff has been in storage for so long, that I don't even know what half the stuff I own is anymore. Maybe we'll have a garage sale for a lot of it.

Tru... Feel better! :flowerforyou:

Acadia... I can't remember if I posted it here or in another topic, but this quote has been motivating me a lot lately. "Commitment is doing the things you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." It's not always fun and games, so when we lose motivation we have to remember the REASONS WHY we started this journey in the first place, and remember that it's going to take time and commitment to the journey to get there.

Meg... Thanks. My TOM is 2 days late. I'm just waiting to the first 24 hours of cramps over with! It's baaad! I love Zumba too. :happy:

Lisa... I get in grazing moods as well. When I start to just want to snack on everything, I've been noticing lately that it might be time for an actual meal. Even if I'm only a little bit hungry, I say it's better to have a meal of REAL foods, than to snack the rest of the night on non-nutritious junk.

Today marks official day 4 of healthy eating and working out for me. I'm quite proud, and excited to feel this motivated for this long.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi, hope no one minds if I join this thread. I am thrilled at how supportive everyone is here and how nice you all seem. I had 65 pounds to lose as of January 1, 2012. I am now down 32 with 33 left to go to achieve a healthy BMI. I am working out, watching calories and generally changing my outlook on food and exercise. It's a lifestyle! Which finally I feel like I can accomplish. I am finding that I go in spurts of restricting myself too much and plateauing then getting off track. I am trying to be more moderate in my weight loss instead of trying to restrict and burn as many calories as I can. I have found that using choosemyplate.gov and its supertracker help me maintain the correct balance of food groups and encourage more eating. After a three week break I am back on track working out 4-6 days a week and counting calories. Short term goal is 15 more before my wedding in October and to gain enough strength to do 20 push ups and make it through a 30 minute core workout. Phew! Those core workouts are killers!
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Ron Now that you are here, maybe some other gents will join in. You could start an avalanche. You can't be old as you look about my age and I'm "not" old. Do you find you have to do things a little differently as an older person?
  • janetay01
    Options
    @hannahvinsel and @Lisa - welcome!

@meg - the walk sounds like it was great fun - nice to have those kinds of options near you. never got the hang of zumba - I really can't dance to save my life!!

Today's been a struggle - woke up sleepy and I've just never got going. Went for a walk and worked out in the afternoon but I feel like I've achieved little else today. All things considered, I've done well to stay within my limits and even managed to have a nice piece of rhubarb cake! Oh well, tomorrow is another day - back at work - must wake up and do better tomorrow.

Happy week everyone:smile:
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm new here, today is my 7th day, and I saw this group and knew I'd want to be part of it! You all are so supportive of each other, and I believe that is one of the most important keys to longterm success on this journey we all are on.
    I want to lose a lot of weight, about 175 lbs.............ugh, I hate even writing that number, but I've gotten real about it and know I just can not allow myself to miss out on being the real "me" anymore. I love people, I love to laugh, I love to do fun, silly things, and even though my next Bday will be the big 5-0, I still feel like I'm in my 20's.....funny considering my daughter will be 20 this Fall! lol

There are various reasons that have gotten me to this weight, and I'm ready to give it my all to start slowly changing my life around. I'm tired of being alive and not "living"! Does that make sense?

When I found out about this site, I wasn't sure if I'd like it, and had been considering joining WW online, but the monthly fee of around $60 kept me from doing it! I'm so happy I hesitated, because now I've found MFP, and I know I found the right place for me! I love the support, the food diary and tracking, the exercise tracking and the ease of use!
    I hope to "meet" alot of you on here, and I'd love the support through this journey I'll be on for a long time......a lifetime actually. I want to support others too, it's a wonderful give and take and I'm looking forward to knowing you all and your stories better!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @TT64, welcome! Congrats on your first week. I think you'll really enjoy this thread. I have a similar amount as you to lose in total, 150. It's gonna be a long journey, but I'm here for the long haul! Glad to support you on your way as well.

@Jane, we all need lazy days every now and then! And it's good you got your workout in.

@Hannah, welcome to you as well! Good work on being half way to your goal, that is great! Sounds like you have some good short term goals too. I think that is a good idea, helps with motivation.

@Steph_135, you can do it! 4 days is great, keep it up :happy:

@Lisa, I totally get the grazing thing. I've got a problem with that in the evenings usually. Have to find something to keep myself busy to keep from eating too much.

I had a good day today. Church this morning. Then came home and had some lunch, and then my 9 year old son and I went out for 4.5 mile bike ride. After coming home from that, I made my dinner menu for the next 4 weeks. I have that husband (that I sometimes want to smack!) who asks me what's for dinner, as soon as dinner for that day is done. So in self defense, I started making menus that go weeks in advance. Obviously I do my shopping in shorter sets than that though :tongue:
    After menu planning was done, I went out for a C25K session. Per a couple people's suggestions, I moved ahead in the training schedule, and I'm so glad I did. I went to week 5 day 1. I need to talk to my husband, but I think the two of us are going to sign up for a 5k sometime in May or June. Getting really excited about that!
    I hope you all have a good week! Keep up the good work :bigsmile:
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!
    I'm back!!! I feel I can finally get back to the swing of things. Wyatt is not getting up every two hours to eat, so I'm getting more sleep.
    For those that don't know me, I'll do a small intro. My name is Julie. Am part of the original Skinny Chics group. My husband and I were in the process to adopt an infant to expand our family, well back on February 1st, we got a call saying a young lady gave birth to a healthy boy. She went through the adoptive parents profile and she selected us. So that next day we bought home our son. We have a daughter ( who also is adopted). Well dealing with an infant and an almost 3 year old, I just couldn't do sleepless nights and trying to lose weight. So until I can get a decent amount of sleep, can I do something about my weight. And here i am, happy to say i get about 5 hours of sleep and feel like i can function, some what. Well that's my life in a small nut shell.
    I will be doing this weight loss with little exercise. My gym won't take a child until their 6 months of age, so I got awhile before I can head back there. And it seems Old Man Winter doesn't want to leave us here in WI. So will try to get on the treadmill when I can.
    I haven't read all the past post but will try to catch up.
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    @acadia – Welcome back to MFP. Make small goals and take it one day at a time. You’ll get there!

@meg – You are very inspirational! Always active! That’s awesome! And that jerk chicken dinner sounds delicious!! Sounds like you are well on your way to running that 5K! YAY!

@lcasselm – Do you eat breakfast? Breakfast will kickstart your metabolism. A few of my friends have told me that they don’t get hungry until they eat, so they hold off until lunch thinking that they will eat less in the day. In reality, if you do this, you are more likely to overeat later in the day. If you can, try to set up a consistent eating schedule. Start with really small amounts and work your way up to larger ones. It will take some time, but eventually you should find yourself hungry around these set times and less likely finding yourself overeating.

@Steph_135 – Happy 4th! I found after the first week it all got easier. Not sure if it’s just a withdrawal thing or my body actually agreeing that healthy eating and exercise is the way to go! YOU’VE GOT THIS!

@hannahvinsel – You’re half way there! That’s amazing! Best wishes on your upcoming wedding! Agreed, core workouts are killer. :)

@janetay01 – Way to push through! You’ll motivation will be back at 110% in no time! Hang in there!

@TT64 – Welcome. Yup, all makes sense. Just focus on your health first and you’ll get there. Try making smaller mini-goals to meet along the way. It’s a great feeling to hit a mini-goal and will help with motivation!

@CanToGirl – Welcome back. Congratulations on the little boy! So happy for you and your family!

I am feeling a lot better today, so I hope to be back in full-swing today or tomorrow. One good thing about being healthier the last 6-ish weeks, I do believe the duration of my illness was much shorter than it would have been. Now that’s a motivator!

Keep on keeping on! Have a great day friends!
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Right, I'm back on it, (mostly).

I’ve been reading through and keeping up, but there’s been so much going on and discussed that I don’t have much to add, so I’m just going to jump in from here on in.

This weekend I decided to take a “me” weekend and have a massive clear out, threw away/donated/recycled bags of books, rubbish, clothes etc. Basically this is all from 6 years living away as a student and accumulating additional households…and when I came back last June there being zero room in my parents house (there never is right), so me never unpacking. In order to unpack this weekend I had to get rid of a room’s worth of stuff. (Don’t get me wrong, I’d unpacked a suitcase or two of clothes, and enough stuff to live with, but basically everything else was in boxes in the garages, and I’d only go out there and root around if I needed something specific!)

So I did that. I didn’t see my bf, but that’s OK, we’re going to see each other plenty over the next few weekends. Next weekend is helping him pack up. The weekend after I’ll be packing up a van (with him) and driving it to his new place and move him in. The weekend after I’m told is another bank holiday (though I find this bizarre to believe it’ll already be May) and we’re going to Plymouth to see his family.

I’ve still been cycling, walking etc lots, but I’m going to give some 30DS a go this week, and maybe even some running, though I’m not going to jump in to hard given how tired I’ve been and how much is currently on my plate. Baby steps, but when I was unpacking I came across my 30DS dvd (which I’d sworn I’d already unpacked but apparently not), and I kinda felt I couldn’t ignore stuff any longer and can’t really use the “new job, tired” excuse for much longer.

Eating is fine, if I don’t accept all the chocolate/biscuits/goodies at work, and my mum’s new erratic love of baking and shoving evil food on me. She’s all mucked up at the moment, my bro’s going through finals at the moment and doesn’t really have a plan for when he graduates (current options, teaching, masters, or something completely different), she feels left out, excluded and like he’s being rude to her specifically…he’s not, he’s just being him with a bit more academic stress than normal. This combined with me maybe/sometime etc moving out, she feels like a hen-less mother hen/who has hens that are simply not letting themselves be mothered and it’s driving her insane. Thus she’s becoming a feeder, as that’s one thing she can do. Yummy, but really bad!

Hope you’re all doing great, the warmer weather means it’s much easier to drown in water and resist cups of milky tea, even if the whole of the UK seems to be trying to bake me by not having the heating turned off yet!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    @trismoo - I am indeed 'about your age' a year older in fact, having had my "Beatles' Birthday" about six months ago. I'm sure you'll get the reference! Not sure we want any more gents though, I'm enjoying having a harem :laugh: Actually there are some other men on here, just not so active. I don't think I do things any differently because of age to be honest, it's being fat that makes me do things differently! I'm still pretty active and have a demanding job with a lot of travel which I have no intention of retiring from, not for a good while yet anyway.

@janetay - Rhubarb cake and within your limits, that's the spirit! I regularly 'fall off the wagon' regarding truly healthy food, but as long as I keep within my calories, and don't do it every day, I can live with that.

@TT64 - 175 is just a number. My number was 150 and I've lost 20% of that already in two and a half months. And don't worry about the big 5-0, you're just a youngster to some of us on here, but we all feel about 20 inside. It's one of life's cruelest tricks,

@Meg - you're doing really well on the exercise front, a real inspiration.

@CanToGirl - Hi Julie and welcome back (even though I wasn't around here way back when, still persuading myself I wasn't really fat at that stage!).

@_tru - Glad you're feeling better

Apologies I haven't responded to everyone but life is busy at present.

Finally got home late Friday night and have the whole week at home until next Monday when I'm off for a two week stretch, Cyprus the first week, then back on the Friday night late, hotel at Heathrow, then off to Slovakia early the Saturday morning. No rest for the wicked. Even though I'm at home I am working and trying to fit in Dentist, Doctor and Hypnotherapist at the same time, plus do some stuff around the house, etc............. Glad to say the weight is still coming off despite all the hotel and restaurant meals I have to suffer, though I've learned quite well how to cope with that and make the right menu choices, etc. I tend to have a low cal breakfast, a couple of boiled eggs and Orange juice for example, then soup for lunch leaving me plenty of calories to blow in the evening! And I don't feel hungry during the day or get tempted to snack.
  • Charmingirl
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking to lose a significant amount of wt and would love to be a part of this thread. My only concern is that I'm not very familiar with the site & I'm not sure if I'll be able to get back to the thread.
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking to lose a significant amount of wt and would love to be a part of this thread. My only concern is that I'm not very familiar with the site & I'm not sure if I'll be able to get back to the thread.

Hi, welcome, I'm new here too! I too was wondering how to get back to this topic, so I got the info from another member here, just click on your community tab, then look for the My Topics heading and click on that and it will show you where you've been!
  • janetay01
    Options
    @ron - rhubarb cake was good! I don't always manage to hold to my limits but I figure this is life and I can't restrict myself all the time - as long as I'm in limit more often than not, I'm happy. Sounds like you are super busy - the travel sounds glamourous but I suspect it wears thin. My husband spent a lot of time in hotels a few years ago and isn't keen to go back to it.

@tru - glad you are feeling better and it must be good to feel that your improved health is down in some part to the changes you are making. I have noticed that Ive not had colds for a while and wonder if it is linked in some way.

@penny - sounds like you are doing lots of good things for you and well done for avoiding all the temptations at work. That is one of the things that I struggle with most - the constant supply of cakes and biscuits!

So, it's not been a bad day. Having felt very fuzzy yesterday, i've felt more awake today and had a busy day at work. Somewhat unexpectedly I now have a job interview tomorrow as well. A job that I half heartedly applied for a few weeks ago and they've only just come back to me. I must now find out who they are and what they do! Currently have Doctor Who on - we've been recording them and I think we are a couple of weeks behind so catching up this evening:smile:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    @janet - yes you're right, sounds glamorous as you say but you see the office, the hotel, a couple of restaurants and the drive in between and that's about it. I did a project in Paris many years ago and managed to get to see the Eiffel Tower once, but never got to the Louvre, Les Invalides, Notre Dame, anywhere in fact! Nonetheless, The best opportunity is if I can get a weekend in the country as I managed in Barcelona, and in Arnhem (Netherlands - a Bridge too far) where I did get to visit the tourist spots, However I do get to meet a variety of people and that is rewarding and stimulating, I find in particular the ex Iron Curtain countries fascinating, talking about life under communism and whether it is better or worse nowadays. It is never as clear cut as you might imagine. It does make you realise that despite being very different, with differing cultures, motivations, ways of life, etx, we are all essentially the same, as Sting sang ".....Russians love their children too"