Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• jackie_142
    Options
    Geez, whatever happened to teaching kids how to play basketball, floor hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc.? It seems to me like their PE teachers are slacking in their curriculum design. While not all kids are great at sports and sure, you will get kids that prefer to do as much standing around as possible rather than participating, you can make 'em do laps! That way, your course at least encourages physical activity without falling back on high-intensity mass-marketed workout videos (that aren't really approved for anyone under 18).

I agree with this. P.E. is supposed to active and educate children but it should also be fun. If I were in high school and they made me do insanity, I would dread P.E. and it might even work against teaching me about Physical Education.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm in northeast Indiana and the middle school and high school do P90X workouts. The high school does it the majority of the time with occasional weeks of team sports; the middle school does P90X once a week. And I'm ok with it because my sons can handle it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    As long as they are CLOSELY monitored.

9th grade PE is usually a required class, so you have students in there who A) Don't want to be and B) led a sedentary life. Throwing them straight into an intense plyometric exercise routine could cause some issues. Plus, since they have been sedentary, they don't know the warning signs to look for when becoming fatigued/exhausted.

My 2 cents.

Everyone fails to see WHEN this topic is coming up. School, for one, is nearly over. Meaning they had 8 months of P.E. already, they aren't sedentary. And, if the parents are doing their parts and raising their children then they should have been encouraging and active life style already (again not sedentary), meaning doing the Insanity or P90X workouts would be nothing when done at the self pace that you are supposed to go at..

Second, you learn to do EVERYTHING in a modified way well before 9th grade. So there are no exucses of "Oh, it is too intense" that are justified here.

I honestly think it is just the parents being jealous that their kids get to experience and awesome workout routine and they don't.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    When I was in highschool, I played basket ball & Volleyball, and our volleyball coach was brutal! Her workouts were much tougher than any Insaity workout! But, we were in GREAT shape! So I really have no problem with it...
    There's a difference in doing this in an organized sports practice/conditioning session and PE.
  • lgreen37
    lgreen37 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Me personally - I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. I took a group of girls to my hip hop workout class - ages 9, 11 and 13 - It was a shame that some of them wanted to quite after the 5th song. Our kids are out of shape - some of them are diabetic and on the verge of a stroke because they don't have a workout regimen. When growing up - we came home - did homework and choirs and was outside running for hours. Kids today - use their fingers (video games/computers) and don't think about working out. It's a shame. I see so many fat children. I would not complain to the principal - I would welcome a workout for my child.
    Wow.....America will complain about things that are good for you - sue you for doing something that is good. Something bad, we just may welcome it. Sad, sad, sad...........and the things that are bad, we welcome it.
    Ridiculous!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My kid is on the volleyball team and just did 15 pullups in her PE test.

She also did 25 regular pushups. Fitness is not an issue for her.

Unfortunately most kids are not in good shape but its the parents responsibility to get their child in shape.

Good for your daughter! I am glad that you as a parent are not failing miserably at fitness and passing it on to your next generation. Unfortunately there are a ton of parents, I'm betting your friend is one of them, who are failing. Kudos to the PE teacher for getting the kids to move something other than their mouth!
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What part of the program do you disagree with?

I agree kids need a workout program but Insanity is for adults.

The school should have informed the parents about the program and requested permission to participate.
    All kids have to have a physical before participating in any type of P.E or sports activity and parents do sign a consent form.

I agree that having the kids do Insanity or something similar is probably good for our kids (I have 2 boys, one in Middle School and one in Jr. High...both active in just about every sport possible), and I would be thrilled if they did it in our school. However, in our district, the permission slip for taking part in sports or PE is nothing more than a check box indicating that your child can physically participate. It does not give any information on what exercises will be taught, nor does it discuss the intensity of those work outs. And let's talk sports physical...really? It's not a physical in the real sense unless you believe that a 5 minute conversation with a doctor in the school nurses office can actually get to the root of any physical challenges your child may or may not have. I choose to take my kids to our doctor for a full physical, but I can tell you that not everyone does.

I don't think that PE teachers need to tell the parents everything that they intend to teach in their class, but I do think that they should notify them when it's something outside of the ordinary. Even if it's just a list of "we may do these activities" included in the beginning of the year paperwork.
  • jackie_142
    Options
    Also, I don't think it's bad to do something that is kind of intense. My daughter is ten years old and does gymnastics year round. she has 3 hour practices twice a week. They condition and climb a rope. Kids are resilant but I still think we should allow them to learn to have fun with P.E. so that they don't dread exercise in the future. I think Gym teachers should do a variety of different activities.
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I would LOVE for schools to do these type of programs/videos. our kids need more movement. Every video/every move can be modified to that students ability. Obviously what is being done OR NOT DONE is not enough, its not working...
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I love it. they don't have to go full out for the duration.. they can do 1/3 of the movement until they build up. there should be more teachers like this. I tell my musical theater kids that can't do 8 pushups that they're 4th grade gym teacher owes a refund to the school board for letting them be so out of shape.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I also remember doing aerobics, and line dancing, and all kinds of weird *kitten* in gym not just sports.

LOL, yeah, we had to do square dancing.

Or we had the option of "running lines" for the entire class.

We usually just ran the lines.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    As long as they are CLOSELY monitored.

9th grade PE is usually a required class, so you have students in there who A) Don't want to be and B) led a sedentary life. Throwing them straight into an intense plyometric exercise routine could cause some issues. Plus, since they have been sedentary, they don't know the warning signs to look for when becoming fatigued/exhausted.

My 2 cents.

Everyone fails to see WHEN this topic is coming up. School, for one, is nearly over. Meaning they had 8 months of P.E. already, they aren't sedentary. And, if the parents are doing their parts and raising their children then they should have been encouraging and active life style already (again not sedentary), meaning doing the Insanity or P90X workouts would be nothing when done at the self pace that you are supposed to go at..

Second, you learn to do EVERYTHING in a modified way well before 9th grade. So there are no exucses of "Oh, it is too intense" that are justified here.

I honestly think it is just the parents being jealous that their kids get to experience and awesome workout routine and they don't.

LOL, I taught 9th grade PE for 2 years. If you think 8 mos of 9th grade PE makes a kid who doesn't care about PE non sedentary, you're kidding yourself. I've seen them stand around and do nothing for 8 mos with the best of them.

Do you really think it's the parents being jealous? Really? Insanity is free on youtube..
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Have you ever done insanity?

Don't be intimidated by the name. I did MUCH MUCH more in gym class. Insanity is a breeze compared to the crap they made us do back then.

God i hated p.e.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't think the parent was complaining about the exercise itself. It was what the exercise was - the DVD Insanity. If coach had made his own exercise program, and not used the brand Insanity, there probably never would have been anything said. If zumba is going to be taught in gym, coach should prepare a zumba session with less booty popping than on the DVD. Its what the program was, not the idea that they were exercising - like a lot of responders are making it out to be.
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, those same kids probably play video games rated M for Mature. No one getting all up in arms about that. LOL!!! Kids aren't STUPID. Let's say, worse case scenario, they do pull a muscle or work out so hard they vomit. Is that really the worse thing that could happen to them? Vomiting or a pulled muscle? We are such a nation of whiners.

My son did Tae Bo in ELEMENTARY school. It didn't kill him. I was glad he was exposed to it. It got him used to the concept of FITNESS. And the idea that movement can be beneficial. Even in elementary school he would tell me that if he didn't burn off enough energy he wouldn't sleep well.

Since PE is no longer an everyday class, I don't see the issue.

When I was in 10th grade (back when PE WAS an everyday class), my gym teachers used exercise as punishment. If we didn't come out of the locker room and be in our lines by a certain time - 100 leg lifts. If we were too loud in the locker room - 100 leg lifts. If we slakced off during the regular 50 leg lifts - 100 MORE leg lifts.

My thighs and but were PHENOMENAL in high school! :bigsmile:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree P.E. teachers should design a workout program that is suitable for kids. Doing Insanity or P90X is ridiculous especially without the parents contest.

Really? They have weight lifting as a competative sport in High school. Is that not "suitable" for kids. And honestly, I am glad that the P.E. programs are shifting to a more fitness related approach. Honestly, how many kids continue playing kick ball past high school? How many kids do you think would take fitness (weight lifting, cardio, etc...) and continue it on past high school? I am going to think you will have a lot more kids continuing on with the fitness rather than the kick ball. I hope that teacher get P.E. teacher of the year for that. It is obvious that they are taking what they supposed to teach seriously and get the children involved.

And honestly, I would think at school would be the best place to teach it. My P.E. teachers were also physical trainers, meaning they were the PTs at all the games. So you have PTs and nurses at the school in case anything goes wrong.

I can appreciate what you are saying about this and I do agree with you on the gym teachers intent of using the tape. At 35, I think I am in better shape, fitness wise, than my nieces. But I agree with the OP, that you should ask the parents if it is okay first. The videos state that the programs are for adults and they recommend a physical exam before using them. insanity and P90x are considered super intense. I would not want my son, without my permission, doing these videos. When I send my son to school, I and his pediatrician assume he is doing a more traditional workout in gym class, not insanity or p90x. The videos also include a nutrition program. Some of the kids may not be eating enough calories to workout this hard. Not informing the parents is irresponsible to me. I don't see the need to use the tapes. My PE teachers created their own routines for us.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i double love this... there's the theory gym classes should be training children for a lifetime of fitness. dodgeball in high school? rully? kickball? insanity seems a good intro to life long good habits
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    THIS. IS. CRAZY!!! Kids muscles aren't developed enough to do intense workouts like this. I hear this can cause serious permanent damage. My teen sister is my best workout partner. We do Zumba, SHORT sessions of Insanity, and Rockin' Body but this is one or two times/wk, not every day and we switch up the workouts. I would never make her do a full Insanity session as I can't do it myself, yet. Being required to do this without the parent's consent is WRONG. When I was in high school, we did Sweatin To The Oldies. I think that, or Tae Bo, maybe a good option, but Insanity is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, what is the gym teacher doing while the kids are watching a video. How lazy is that?!

Are you kidding me? This is the perfect time to get them started on programs such as this, when their muscles are developing. Why? Because exercising causes blood to be pumped to that part of the body which means more nutrients and oxygen to build stronger better bodies. You yourself said your sister is DOING Insanity. And notice the OP did not say the teacher had them doing it EVERY DAY. Also, just because YOU can't do the full DVD that doesn't mean your sister isn't capable of it. Never judge your capabilities to that of others.

Besides, the PARENTS DO GIVE CONCENT. They do it when for one they have to sign wavers (permission slips) at the begining of the year, and two when the child is sent home with the next year's schedule of classes and you have to approve of it before you turn it in. What part of physical education do you think wouldn't be physical? What? You think they would stand around twiddling their thumbs the whole class period?

Finally, Insanity is a DVD program that you go at YOUR pace. Same as Zumba, same as Sweating to the Oldies. You go at YOUR pace. So it doesn't matter if the teacher put the DVD in, if the kids only put forth a 25% effort they won't hardly be getting any of the intensity anway.

I did some research and found that there are new studies showing that strength training can be beneficial and not harmful to children. Again, this is new evidence. People used to think that it could be harmful. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. and YES, they can go at their own pace, but if you're amongst peers, you may push yourself harder, maybe too hard... and oftentimes, in my own experience, gym teachers push you even harder.

Exercise is good for kids. Pushing yourself too hard is bad for everybody, including kids. The only problem I would have is if the gym teacher popped in the DVD and took a nap when the kids exercised.

http://www.childrenscolorado.org/wellness/info/teens/20486.aspx
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I agree P.E. teachers should design a workout program that is suitable for kids. Doing Insanity or P90X is ridiculous especially without the parents contest.

Really? They have weight lifting as a competative sport in High school. Is that not "suitable" for kids. And honestly, I am glad that the P.E. programs are shifting to a more fitness related approach. Honestly, how many kids continue playing kick ball past high school? How many kids do you think would take fitness (weight lifting, cardio, etc...) and continue it on past high school? I am going to think you will have a lot more kids continuing on with the fitness rather than the kick ball. I hope that teacher get P.E. teacher of the year for that. It is obvious that they are taking what they supposed to teach seriously and get the children involved.

And honestly, I would think at school would be the best place to teach it. My P.E. teachers were also physical trainers, meaning they were the PTs at all the games. So you have PTs and nurses at the school in case anything goes wrong.

I can appreciate what you are saying about this and I do agree with you on the gym teachers intent of using the tape. At 35, I think I am in better shape, fitness wise, than my nieces. But I agree with the OP, that you should ask the parents if it is okay first. The videos state that the programs are for adults and they recommend a physical exam before using them. insanity and P90x are considered super intense. I would not want my son, without my permission, doing these videos. When I send my son to school, I and his pediatrician assume he is doing a more traditional workout in gym class, not insanity or p90x. The videos also include a nutrition program. Some of the kids may not be eating enough calories to workout this hard. Not informing the parents is irresponsible to me. I don't see the need to use the tapes. My PE teachers created their own routines for us.

Actually, you should know about it. I am willing to bet that if you took a look at your child's student handbook that they get at the begining of the year that the P.E. class would give you a description of everything they will be learning. They also get break downs of everything in handouts that they will be doing, if you did not take time to look at them or you did not ask questions from the begining to either your child or the teacher (open house?) then that is your fault, not the teachers or the school's. Also, when your child plays on the play ground or is running playing tag or hide and seek, they are doing something that is A LOT more intense than Insanity or P90X. Again, they are both "go at your own pace" programs. And knowing how -I- and everyone else in my high school used to stand around and watch (thus another reason why i am here, I never learned and was one of those kids that stood around) because we didn't want to "get sweaty", more than likely only a handful are actually doing anything.

My old high school doesn't have that stuff any more, you have 3 options: HOPE (which is basically health class), ROTC, or weight lifting (beginners, intermediate, advance and you have to go up in that order). And you need 2 credits to graduate and in 9th grade you have to take HOPE (required). No more team sports (No child left behind act blew that), no general fitness (again NCLBA). Guess what they teach in weight lifting, HEAVY LIFTING. If heavy lifting is appropriate then tell me why Insanity or P90X (which is all BW) would be so bad as people are saying.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    THIS. IS. CRAZY!!! Kids muscles aren't developed enough to do intense workouts like this. I hear this can cause serious permanent damage. My teen sister is my best workout partner. We do Zumba, SHORT sessions of Insanity, and Rockin' Body but this is one or two times/wk, not every day and we switch up the workouts. I would never make her do a full Insanity session as I can't do it myself, yet. Being required to do this without the parent's consent is WRONG. When I was in high school, we did Sweatin To The Oldies. I think that, or Tae Bo, maybe a good option, but Insanity is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, what is the gym teacher doing while the kids are watching a video. How lazy is that?!

Are you kidding me? This is the perfect time to get them started on programs such as this, when their muscles are developing. Why? Because exercising causes blood to be pumped to that part of the body which means more nutrients and oxygen to build stronger better bodies. You yourself said your sister is DOING Insanity. And notice the OP did not say the teacher had them doing it EVERY DAY. Also, just because YOU can't do the full DVD that doesn't mean your sister isn't capable of it. Never judge your capabilities to that of others.

Besides, the PARENTS DO GIVE CONCENT. They do it when for one they have to sign wavers (permission slips) at the begining of the year, and two when the child is sent home with the next year's schedule of classes and you have to approve of it before you turn it in. What part of physical education do you think wouldn't be physical? What? You think they would stand around twiddling their thumbs the whole class period?

Finally, Insanity is a DVD program that you go at YOUR pace. Same as Zumba, same as Sweating to the Oldies. You go at YOUR pace. So it doesn't matter if the teacher put the DVD in, if the kids only put forth a 25% effort they won't hardly be getting any of the intensity anway.

I did some research and found that there are new studies showing that strength training can be beneficial and not harmful to children. Again, this is new evidence. People used to think that it could be harmful. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. and YES, they can go at their own pace, but if you're amongst peers, you may push yourself harder, maybe too hard... and oftentimes, in my own experience, gym teachers push you even harder.

Exercise is good for kids. Pushing yourself too hard is bad for everybody, including kids. The only problem I would have is if the gym teacher popped in the DVD and took a nap when the kids exercised.

http://www.childrenscolorado.org/wellness/info/teens/20486.aspx

Who said he/she took a nap? That is jumping to a huge conclusion.