Dumped because I am fat...what do you think?

Options

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :smile: I have been dating this guy for 2 1/2 years. He met me when I was overweight and didn't have a big problem with it. We were attracted to each other and had a pretty happy relationship. His family recently visited for the first time, and ever since then he has been treating me differently. When we talked about marriage, he said that he won't propose unless I lose a lot of weight. He said his family made him realize how heavy I am and he doesn't want to be with me if I am that overweight. I am 5'4" and 250 pounds. He said he doesn't want to be walking in the mall with me and have people wonder why he is with me. He wants to check me out the way he does thin chicks. He wants someone that wears bikinis and short shorts. He said he has only been holding onto me because he loves me and hopes I will change. He said he would pay for me to reduce my boobs now just so I would look less heavy.

Obviously this hurt me a lot since I have been struggling with my weight since my sophomore year of college. He knows I try hard to lose and fall back into unhealthy emotional patterns. I have gone through surgery lately and faced setbacks. It hurts me that he loves me for me until he saw what his family said about my weight. Especially since they aren't thin people either. (Even he isn't super active and has a bit of a belly)

So - here is where your opinion comes in. How would you react to this? What do you think about it? Would you try to lose the weight and be a better person for him or would you see him as superficial and shallow? Obviously, I am trying to lose weight anyway. I guess I am wondering if you would take this as him trying to help you look better and be nice about it, or if you would be offended and move on. He says I am perfect for him except for my weight. I feel like if I fix my weight FOR him, he and his family might just find something else that they don't like either. I am wondering if I should move on or feel grateful that he told me?

oh wow.. first off, hell no! I wouldn't change for him or his family! !! I would say I got alotta *kitten* for yall to get to kissing! I have lost weight 2 times and my fiancé is shocked that I still want to loose! he told me that he never realized thtat I got as big as I did, but he is more open to the idea of being physically able to do stuff. I could of never lifted weights before.. now that is what I do and I think it scared him.. any way. I would not change for the family. I would ask them y do u get to dictate to him that I am overweight? just because im not a size 2 don't mean im not a human and that I don't have feelings and that I cant love or be loved! personally it would have offeneded me cause what if you did loose all the weight and you go to the mall together and he sees a redhead? would he then tell you that you need to color your hair? or if he likes tan girls? one of these days he would have to accept you for who you are and if you are trying to loose weight, then keep trying, and I would dump him and his family!thats just me1~
  • zdreamer
    zdreamer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    He is so not worthy of your love. Sad, but true. If he is easily influenced by his family and their opinion.........nope, move on and find someone who is worthy of you and your love.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry someone you love hurt you so much. The things he said to you were inexcusable and, I imagine, incredibly painful.

A couple thoughts I had: you ask if you should make yourself a "better person" for him. Is he trying to be a "better person" for you? You need someone who is more willing to work on himself than he is to point out the ways he feels you need to work on yourself. If you are already attempting to live a healthier lifestyle, then you are already bettering yourself. Also, some of the worst people I have ever met are skinny, short-shorts-wearing women. Size =/= quality of person.

Secondly, it's not his fault if he is attracted to thinner women (we can't choose what physical type we are attracted to), but that does NOT give him the right to talk to you the way he did and to throw that fact in your face. He either needs to accept that this is the size you are now (even if it's not the size you will be forever) and see all the beauty that is you. If he chooses not to see that, then he is of weak, deficient character and there is no reason to take anything he says about you to heart.

Last thought: no one should manipulate you into losing weight, ESPECIALLY by withholding a marriage proposal or mentioning that he likes to check out other women (potentially implying that if you don't lose weight he'll cheat on you with a skinny chick). That. Is. Disgusting. My heart hurts for you that someone is treating you this way. My weight and my husband's weight have both fluctuated quite a bit in the time we've been together, but no matter what sizes we are we are still wildly attracted to each other, love each other, and treat each other with respect and kind words. I married him when he was at his heaviest. Do I drool over Ryan Gosling's abs on occasion? Sure. Would I ever berate my husband for having a soft belly instead of perfectly chiseled six-pack abs? Absolutely not. His worth and quality are found in a thousand other things that make up the entire man he is and I could give a crap what that is packaged in (as long as he is healthy, of course). It is much harder to be a good person than to be a skinny person, and it is of much more value in life to be a good person than to be just a skinny person.

That being said, only you can decide if you want to put up with it. Do you really think he is "perfect" for you (as he says you are for him, minus the weight issue)? Do you see his current attitude something you want to live with for the rest of your life, and if he spoke to and treated your future children in a similar way, would you be fine with it? I would hope that you say "no" to those questions, but ultimately it's up to you and what you want. Best of luck, hon.
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :smile: I have been dating this guy for 2 1/2 years. He met me when I was overweight and didn't have a big problem with it. We were attracted to each other and had a pretty happy relationship. His family recently visited for the first time, and ever since then he has been treating me differently. When we talked about marriage, he said that he won't propose unless I lose a lot of weight. He said his family made him realize how heavy I am and he doesn't want to be with me if I am that overweight. I am 5'4" and 250 pounds. He said he doesn't want to be walking in the mall with me and have people wonder why he is with me. He wants to check me out the way he does thin chicks. He wants someone that wears bikinis and short shorts. He said he has only been holding onto me because he loves me and hopes I will change. He said he would pay for me to reduce my boobs now just so I would look less heavy.

Obviously this hurt me a lot since I have been struggling with my weight since my sophomore year of college. He knows I try hard to lose and fall back into unhealthy emotional patterns. I have gone through surgery lately and faced setbacks. It hurts me that he loves me for me until he saw what his family said about my weight. Especially since they aren't thin people either. (Even he isn't super active and has a bit of a belly)

So - here is where your opinion comes in. How would you react to this? What do you think about it? Would you try to lose the weight and be a better person for him or would you see him as superficial and shallow? Obviously, I am trying to lose weight anyway. I guess I am wondering if you would take this as him trying to help you look better and be nice about it, or if you would be offended and move on. He says I am perfect for him except for my weight. I feel like if I fix my weight FOR him, he and his family might just find something else that they don't like either. I am wondering if I should move on or feel grateful that he told me?

Sorry but he sounds superficial and shallow and his family sounds even worse. Sounds like he listens to everything they say instead of thinking for himself. I don't think I would want to marry into that family. Lose the weight for yourself and only yourself and your health. Never do it for someone else. Good luck on your journey and all the best to you!!
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Beating a dead horse here but....
    How shallow is he?? Seriously!!
    Tell him to beat it, Jack.
    Then lose all the extra weight, work out like mad and transform yourself into a smokin, STRONG and HEALTHY drop dread gorgeous babe.
    Then plan to meet him to "catch up" and show off the new you as a "This-is-what-you-lost-Idiot " moment.
    REVENGE CAN BE SO SWEET!

Of course, you should just do this anyway for YOURSELF and YOUR HEALTH.
    Also... your boyfriend's a jerk.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I think you lost a significant amount of fat - when he walked out on you!

You are worth more than this.
  • iheartchandlerbing
    Options
    Doll, I'd slap him sideways.
    That was just uncalled for. You're gorgeous and obviously such a sweet girl- and he practically said he thinks he's in a higher league than you? Uh-uh.
    If he's not the same guy you fell inlove with, and no longer cares about your feelings, leave his unappreciative butt immediately.
    x
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ultimately you know in your heart what you want to do. I know sometimes it’s hard to walk away from someone you love, but you have to do what’s best for you in the long run.
    My biggest concern is that when you marry someone you marry their family too, is this type of family you want to be with? To be the grandparents of your future children? I would be more concerned with the fact that he allowed his family to put such a thought in his head.
    OR
    there is always the possibility he wants out and this is his “excuse” Sitting down (maybe with a mediator) and ask him to be honest, is it JUST a weight thing? Because I find that hard to believe beings you have been together & got together while you were overweight.

I have been with my husband 18 years, when we met I was a size 7 at my highest Jan 2013 I was wearing a size 22. Even when I worried about my extreme weight gain my husband ALWAYS reassured me that he found me sexy & beautiful regardless of my size. I made the choice on my own at the beginning of this year to change and he has been nothing but supportive.

Best of luck to you.
  • Fallness
    Fallness Posts: 1
    Options
    I would definitely follow the advice of the person who said, "Run." Anyone who is so shallow that he's more concerned about how you look and how HE looks to others for being with you spells trouble for the long term. It's sad that he can't get past appearances and remember why he fell in love with you in the first place. You know you are the same person inside, thin or fat. Unfortunately, this is a fact in American society: people judge when they have never walked in your shoes and don't take a look at their own flaws first. Hang in there, and become healthier for yourself and your quality of life, not ever for anyone else.
  • hmanley66
    hmanley66 Posts: 57
    Options
    LET HIM GO. Perhaps he was CLOSE to your Mr. Right so it feels hard, but he is NOT your Mr. Right. Pray.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You are going to get tons of advice. i would say to you.. Look at how he's made you feel and ask yourself if that's what you want for you? Love yourself first and then you can understand how to love another.

You may lose weight, but you will lose it for you and to make yourself healthier and stronger. At that point you might look at him and realize that he's not the right person for you.

Love yourself first!!!!!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    First, go to a therapist to deal with the emotional eating. There are people who specialize in eating disorders, and online support groups you can get involved in - that will help you take control of your emotional eating. (You said you have issues - this is the only reason I bring it up. I have them as well!)

Second, go to a therapist to deal with your self-esteem ... and I'm not saying this to be mean - I was there, 100 lbs ago - I would put up with a lot of crap from my ex just because I thought I had to - I didnt even realize I was doing it until I went to therapy (I was contemplating leaving the relationship!) and the therapist brought things out of me. Now, I am happier alone than with someone who only cares about looks or money.

Third - set that boy straight - tell him he loved you for who you were when he met you, and if he doesnt love you just as much now, HE isnt the one for you. YOU deserve better... yes, you have a history - but, its better to realizez now, rather than 10 years down the road that he is a jerk, and wouldnt stand by you.

Think things thru. Take a 'time out', talk to a professional, and good luck!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Love is a verb, not a feeling. If he 'loved' you, he would be by your side fighting the battle with you instead of throwing it in your face to deal with because he's not man enough to walk beside a beautiful woman regardless of her size. His actions show he values his family and their opinion over you, which is a BAD sign. If the apron strings are that tight, you are in for a future of problems any time his family wants to interfere. Time to move on.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    People fall in and out of love all the time. There are also 2 sides to every story...and we're only hearing yours. You may have changed a great deal (in his opinion) without knowing it.

The truth hurts. Deal with and move on. Or just keep crying and throw yourself a pity party. Either way.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ,he sounds very shallow, I would not waste anymore time with him, but what I would do is lose the weight for yourself, to be healthy , more active, you only get to be young once, don't waste it..
  • whutchinson08
    whutchinson08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if he really loved you, weight would not matter. My husband married me when I was 240 lbs. I started losing the weight a year after we were married. If you really want to lose the weight, the only way to do it is for you not some guy. Saying you are "perfect except for your weight" would have been enough reason for me to kick him in the teeth.
  • belleparis
    belleparis Posts: 111
    Options
    Run.

Run far away.

That is NOT love.

Run.

And keep running until you can't see him and you've lost all the weight for YOURself!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Run.

Run far away.

That is NOT love.

Run.

This. you want someone who loves you, and that is not love.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What bothers me is the things he said. If someone who loves us is concerned about our weight and is wanting to help, they can simply say, "I'm worried about your health and want you to feel happy and good about yourself. How can I help you through this journey? Maybe we can do it together. I'll be here for you no matter what." He said, "I want to be with someone who wears bikinis and looks like thin girls that I check out and I'll buy you a breast reduction to look thinner." Do you hear the difference? His approach was selfish, unkind, and unsupportive. You may need to evaluate if this is his overall attitude towards you, how he makes you feel about yourself and if you are willing to continue to be treated this way. You are beautiful and there are plenty of men out there who would love you for you, curves and all! :)

That was my first thought when I read her post. Nothing was said about him wanting her to be healthy so they could stay together as long as possible. I had a similar thing happen with my husband. We met online and he knew I was overweight. When I got there, the second day, I knew something was off. When I talked to him he admitted that he didn't want to be with me because I was bigger than he thought. I was so hurt. I was ready to fly back home the next day but something changed in him and he was more caring and loving. We were due to get married 2 months later and I constantly wondered up until the moment he showed up at the airport if he would follow through.

He did! And we just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. It took a very long time to get over what was said to me and it caused a lot of grief but I knew he loved me unconditionally. He is a man of God now and our marriage is so much stronger today and I'm finally getting healthy. He is my biggest supporter!

Something his family said made him think and say some hurtful things. I agree that you should only get healthy for yourself but I would really sit down and have a heart to heart with him and get to the bottom of things. I think if I would have walked away from my husband, I would have missed out on the most amazing and adventurous days of my life! Words can't be taken back but time and commitment from him will heal that pain and eventually go away.
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Run. Fast. If you lose the weight for him, you will always live with the insecurity that he loves you only for your looks. He isn't caring about you, but about himself (If he'd said, "Hey, I want to live the rest of my life with you, so let's come up with a plan to cook healthier meals and go exercise together," I'd have a totally different suggestion). A man who loves you will not be embarrassed to be seen with you, no matter what weight you are. My husband loved me when I married him, a little overweight. He loves me now, even though I'm more overweight. He really doesn't see how heavy I am. He loves me for who I am. All relationships have their struggles, but this is such a basic. I'm sure it hurts right now, but he is NOT worth it.