31 dead and over 200 injured in bombings today

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's not the center of the universe. Its the center of MY universe. I live here. It affects me. I'm a veteran. I have served. I'm not ignorant, but I think this is classless.

If your friend's father was shot killed in a drive-by, would you find it an opportune moment to remind her that people are being slaughtered in the SUDAN every day? Really now. Cmon.

WTF
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think it's distasteful to perpetuate stereotypes. Not all Americans are "self-absorbed."
    [/quote]

That is my point. We are not all self absorbed, but to think that another tragedy doesn't deserve attention because it didn't happen in the US makes it appear as though we all are.
    [/quote]

But no one is saying that, he is simply asking the reason of her intent on posting this..at least, that is what I am getting.
    [/quote]

I believe if you scroll up you will see him stating that she wouldn't have posted that had the boston tragedy not happened. He stated this as fact when in truth, he doesn't know. That is self absorbed in my book. My point is that no matter what her motivation, it is still human lives that were lost and it deserves to be acknowledged.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Tell you what. If the OP reads this and tells the truth and her truth for posting this topic was only to post the tragic event that killed 31 and had nothing to do with proving a point then I will apologize to her and back off. I'll believe her 100%

but why does she have to justify herself to you? why do only the lives of 2 people in boston matter? why cant she focus on 31 other people who were murdered today?

And some people don't get it. To make a post just to prove a point, this could have waited. I'm saying she never would have posted this if the Boston explosions never happened. If I hear otherwise then fine. DO you see threads started on MFP about the daily tragic events in the world? Yes, we should be posting threads like that, but we don't for whatever reason. AGAIN, no one is saying that the 31 poeple kille should not be mentioned, the issue is with the intent of the post.

I get that you dislike a thread designed to make a point this way even though you agree with the point, I can respect that.

To be fair most of the time we aren't allowed to discuss politics (and if this thread goes poof I won't be surprised) so even if OP wanted to post political stuff all day in the general forums the threads would be deleted.

Fair enough point in your last paragraph that should be considered.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    while you have a good point, I feel it would have been in better taste to save this post for tomorrow.

Why? It happened today. Its a tragic event like what happened in Boston. I find it offensive to say wait until tomorrow. It deserves the same attention as anything else

sadly enough, the reality is that there are people on these board who were directly affected by the events today, and out of respect we probably shouldn't dismiss them so easily.

of course horrible things happen other places, but as someone astutely pointed out - would the post have been made if nothing had happened in Boston today?

it's just opportunism.

I'm all for getting down and dirty and political if need be, but all I'm saying is lets do it tomorrow while there are people in the MFP community who were directly affected.

I guess I just don't agree that Boston is being dismissed. Nobody on this thread has called it any less than a tragedy. It just happens to share a day in history with another tragedy where lives were unnecessarily lost to violence. Both are worth my thoughts and prayers.

but the title of the thread is intentionally inflammatory and misleading. the OP knew exactly what she was doing by posting it. THAT'S the sentiment that's ill timed. to take a tragedy that is important to Americans and twist it and manipulate it to fit your own agenda.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    For one minute I thought it was about Boston then saw the URL.

Enough with the killing already !! We are the only species on earth who kills his own for no reason (no good enough reasons!)

This needs to STOP
  • TheWinman
    Options
    while you have a good point, I feel it would have been in better taste to save this post for tomorrow.

Why? It happened today. Its a tragic event like what happened in Boston. I find it offensive to say wait until tomorrow. It deserves the same attention as anything else

sadly enough, the reality is that there are people on these board who were directly affected by the events today, and out of respect we probably shouldn't dismiss them so easily.

of course horrible things happen other places, but as someone astutely pointed out - would the post have been made if nothing had happened in Boston today?

it's just opportunism.

I'm all for getting down and dirty and political if need be, but all I'm saying is lets do it tomorrow while there are people in the MFP community who were directly affected.

I guess I just don't agree that Boston is being dismissed. Nobody on this thread has called it any less than a tragedy. It just happens to share a day in history with another tragedy where lives were unnecessarily lost to violence. Both are worth my thoughts and prayers.

but the title of the thread is intentionally inflammatory and misleading. the OP knew exactly what she was doing by posting it. THAT'S the sentiment that's ill timed. to take a tragedy that is important to Americans and twist it and manipulate it to fit your own agenda.

Excellent way of putting it!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options

it's just opportunism.

That I do agree with. While I do feel it's crucial that we are aware of both tragedies, OP intentionally mislead people
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    It's not the center of the universe. Its the center of MY universe. I live here. It affects me. I'm a veteran. I have served. I'm not ignorant, but I think this is classless.

If your friend's father was shot killed in a drive-by, would you find it an opportune moment to remind her that people are being slaughtered in the SUDAN every day? Really now. Cmon.

WTF

I agree that Boston effects Americans more because it is our home. Keep in mind however, this is an international website.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to the families affected by this tragedy.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    For one minute I thought it was about Boston then saw the URL.

Enough with the killing already !! We are the only species on earth who kills his own for no reason (no good enough reasons!)

This needs to STOP

agree 100%! A topic on what we should do to stop this, is the kind of thread we need to start seeing everywhere on social sites. IMO
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I agree that Boston effects Americans more because it is our home. Keep in mind however, this is an international website.

And what about being an international community makes it ok to start a pissing contest over whose tragedy is worse? Can't we just have empathy for all. FFS
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

did you lose any loved ones in the worldwide bombings today?

did you have friends or loved ones running in Boston?

No one is making light of bombings in the world today, but as others have said your post only speaks about YOU and your lack of compassion. It doesn't make you a better person because you, like me, like all of us, probably, think there should be some kind of scale for tragedies. When it happens in our country, maybe we find it more hurtful, maybe we knew someone who could have been injured or killed. Ever stop to think about what your post might have meant to people who have lost loved ones today?

As someone who had a friend running Boston today (who, thankfully, was not hurt), your post is ill timed and your point is meaningless. Yes, people die every freakin' day in horrible events all over the world.
    This happened HERE. It does not make it more important than any of the poor people who may have died in the world today, However, if you knew anything about this site, it's a fitness and health site. Many of the people using this site are in the USA; many are runners, many, like me, knew someone running today. This hit home for many of us. It doesn't make it more "important," just more personal.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    ^perfect
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If malaki and sharistani wer nt playing power games against their own people and invested in iraq as the kurds have done up north with their oil billions things might get better for the people there as well. Hopefully the people will punish them at the elections and the usa will stop backing them and allow an oil and gas law to be passed when they re gone or at least let the north export via a deal with Turkey.

Oh shut the fu.ck up.

I prefer women who dont talk dirty to me !!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

No one is making light of bombings in the world today, but as others have said your post only speaks about YOU and your lack of compassion. It doesn't make you a better person because you, like me, like all of us, probably, think there should be some kind of scale for tragedies. When it happens in our country, maybe we find it more hurtful, maybe we knew someone who could have been injured or killed. Ever stop to think about what your post might have meant to people who have lost loved ones today?

As someone who had a friend running Boston today (who, thankfully, was not hurt), your post is ill timed and your point is meaningless. Yes, people die every freakin' day in horrible events all over the world.
    This happened HERE. It does not make it more important than any of the poor people who may have died in the world today, However, if you knew anything about this site, it's a fitness and health site. Many of the people using this site are in the USA; many are runners, many, like me, knew someone running today. This hit home for many of us. It doesn't make it more "important," just more personal.
    :drinker:
  • TheWinman
    Options
    perfect reply photogrrrl
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Amen!!!!!!!!
  • usernameMAMA
    Options

And what about being an international community makes it ok to start a pissing contest over whose tragedy is worse? Can't we just have empathy for all. FFS

I do have empathy for ALL victims. I believe the pissing contest started with an American getting butthurt over a post in a random forum.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How is it in poor taste? I find it in poorer taste to suggest that these 31 not be remembered until tomorrow because the American tragedy is more important today

^^^^This. Tragic on all levels. It's also tragic that people choose to attack others on an internet forum for having a differing opinion. I think THAT speaks volumes about someone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I do have empathy for ALL victims. I believe the pissing contest started with an American getting butthurt over a post in a random forum.
    Again. Your reply is a PERFECT example of why she posted the thread, of what she hoped to accomplish and why I didn't agree with her for posting it. But again, this is why she did it. So she accomplished her goal.
This discussion has been closed.