Running at night with a concealed carry.

Options

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Only in the United States of America! ;)

This! So glad I live in Canada where I don't have to worry about encountering people carrying guns while just out and about.....

Yeah right.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Assault Victims
    Can .... 2.3% .... US.... 1.2% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 5th. 92% more than United States Ranked 11th.

Rape Victims Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Rape victims Can .... 0.8% .... US 0.4% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 8th. 100% more than United States Ranked 13th.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Total crime victims Can....23.8%.... US.... 21.1%
    Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States Ranked 15th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

I like that you left out the Murder with firearms, you know, the one that probably matters most here :p

Can : 144
    US : 9639
    64 times Can

But yeah, that doesn't matter :p

Why does it matter most here? Cuz you say it does or is there logic behind what you just stated? If so, explain how you arrived at your conclusion. I know, silly ole logic...but that is how I roll.

.... lol that is such a typical gun nut answer.... the reason it's a more important statistic is because there are 64 times as many people dead, and i bet most of them aren't bad guys :/
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    Several friends who run and carry use a holster that holds the gun in the small of their back. Doesn't help if you don't hear someone sneaking up behind you, but it keep it fairly accessible. They also carry their drivers license and concealed permit.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Only in the United States of America! ;)

This! So glad I live in Canada where I don't have to worry about encountering people carrying guns while just out and about.....

Yeah right.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Assault Victims
    Can .... 2.3% .... US.... 1.2% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 5th. 92% more than United States Ranked 11th.

Rape Victims Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Rape victims Can .... 0.8% .... US 0.4% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 8th. 100% more than United States Ranked 13th.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Total crime victims Can....23.8%.... US.... 21.1%
    Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States Ranked 15th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

Seeing it's a topic about carrying guns wouldn't this stat from that site be more fitting? :huh:

Murders with firearms
    Canada -144 Ranked 9th
    USA - 9,369 Ranked 1st. 64 times more than Canada

Why?
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would say ankle holster. Also not sure how well it would work but I've seen bra holsters as well. Don't let anyone get you down about carring a CC. Its your RIGHT to carry ! It doesnt matter where you live. Kudos to you for taking your safety into your own hands !

OH!!! I forgot about the bra holsters! There are a few out there that look to be AWESOME and if I were a woman or knew women that were considering CC I would have them look into it. I would imagine that strapped to the front of the chest could be the most comfortable position as well.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area, 45mph two-lane road, very minimal houses, all woods and/or fields. I never ran at night so I was really nervous, don't own pepper spray, so I opted for my small gun. It was 9pm, and I can't go out for a run before then... I "know" I'm probably ok...but it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Where do YOU put it??? I kept mine on my waistband at 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty) but I had to keep adjusting it as it was sliding around.

I honestly felt like just running with it in my hand because I was so frustrated... :laugh: Also, if you do carry, what type of holster do you use? I have a belt-clip hard plastic.

ignoring the snottier comments-underarmor makes compression shorts with left and right handed holsters.
    im actually a lefty too-im more comfortable with a shoulder holster, but texas in the summer will be too hot to conceal one. keep in mind-CCL only counts if its concealed-run with it in hand and itss illegal. anoyher option is a belly wrap holster that goes under your shirt and on your abdomen-theyre more snug than the hip hokster so you wont have the upside down and backwatds issue :)

Also-good on you for being safe, informed, and prepared! I hope there never comes a time that youll need your gun!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

would you feel different if it was a man?

First off, I'm not a guy (as most people think by my user name/avatar)

Second, no I would not feel any different. A man can get mugged just as easily as a woman. Perhaps I have a different perspective of what common sense is than most, but running at night in an area where you feel you need to be armed just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    said my bit , its like you re in the dark ages and just imagine putting a gun in the hands of someone who cant control their weight !!!!!

Wow! Just wow!
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask the OP probably the dumbest question but how do you run when it pitch black out? I live in an area like yours and I wouldn't be able to see my hand in front my face.

As far as carrying the gun, I understand. There are times I wish I had one while out walking during the day.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I didn't get why any woman would want to run @ 9:00 @ night alone in the pitch dark? I don't care what you're carrying with you for protection, common sense kicks in and it's just not the brightest of ideas, especially being that you think you need a gun to protect yourself. Sell the gun and buy a treadmill or rearrange your schedule so you can run at a time of day that makes more sense.

At work for 9 hours (1 hour lunch), home to take care of the house, then after everyone is settled for the night, I would imagine that 9:00 is the most convenient time for a run.

House may not have room for a treadmill.

Running at night, it's a personal choice. Maybe because it's cooler at night. Maybe because there is less traffic on the road. Maybe...just maybe, she just finds it more peaceful. It's her choice, and at least she's being aware enough to protect herself. Assault and rape can happen during the day time as well. Seriously...do you not think that on a 2-lane country road that someone couldn't just stop their truck and grab her during the middle of the day. Do you think that some rabid animal is going to look at her running in the day and say "oh, too bad it's not night time...then I could attack her." The gun's not just for humans.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    haha I don't think liberals are going to come near this thread with a 10 foot pole. It fact I think they are all hiding in a cave right about now smoking a joint. I hope you didn't scare off 47% of the Americans on MyFitnessPal.

Is this all it takes to keep liberals away? :drinker:

said my bit , its like you re in the dark ages and just imagine putting a gun in the hands of someone who cant control their weight !!!!!

i agree with the gun bit but the weight thing is unecessary.... keep it light, americans love their guns, they don't care about killing each other as long as they do it first, it wont change let it go

You would be speaking German now if it wasnt for Americans & their arms.
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    You do what you feel comfortable with, if carrying gives you a sense of security, do it. I see some pretty illiterate responses. They've obviously not ever have been in a 'fight or flight' situation or they'd have more helpful responses. The more you jog/run, the more you'll get comfortable with where you'll 'holster' it.
  • twelfty
    Options

would you feel different if it was a man?

First off, I'm not a guy (as most people think by my user name/avatar)

Second, no I would not feel any different. A man can get mugged just as easily as a woman. Perhaps I have a different perspective of what common sense is than most, but running at night in an area where you feel you need to be armed just doesn't make sense to me.

LOL quality!!! go on girl!!!
  • twelfty
    Options
    haha I don't think liberals are going to come near this thread with a 10 foot pole. It fact I think they are all hiding in a cave right about now smoking a joint. I hope you didn't scare off 47% of the Americans on MyFitnessPal.

i agree with the gun bit but the weight thing is unecessary.... keep it light, americans love their guns, they don't care about killing each other as long as they do it first, it wont change let it go

keep telling yourself that...
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

of course you re right but it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment hence the !!!!
  • Kendie74
    Kendie74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Why do you assume OP (or any other gunowner) doesn't know how to use a gun or is irresponsible?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

A few more joints and a few less guns could make the world a better place. Just sayin'.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As far as the people saying 'get a large dog'.... I'm going to call you out on highly irresponsible advice.

A.) If you have a dog that you fail to socialize to the point it would actually protect you on a run, then you have done a disservice to whatever dog breed you own. I love my dogs, I have big dogs, but they are not trained attack dogs. They would not go after a stranger, nor would I want them to go after a stranger. Heck if we are out of the house, they don't even bark at most people, they just want to be petted. This is the way most family pets SHOULD behave.

B.) To actually get a dog that would protect you requires you to purchase a few select breeds, and then train them INTENSIVELY so that they are safe around the house and around strangers, plus be athletic enough to go on a long run. We are talking maybe 3 or 4 different dog breeds, and if she has small children, not all of these breeds are appropriate to have. Not to mention the cost of training them to that level can be prohibitive.

Getting a dog is not always the answer. If your attacker has a gun, all it means is he has to take one extra bullet to shoot your dog before turning on you. Yes dogs will bark, but in a rural setting, if no one is around to hear it bark, well that's not done you any good. And if you say that 'your dogs will protect you against a _____ (bear, coyote, mountain lion, etc) I ask you why in the world you would want a beloved family pet to lay down it's life for you? Most wild animals can easily dispatch your average dog, unless we are talking a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Shouldn't you be trying to protect your dog as well as yourself in these situations?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

keep telling yourself that...

Sure ....Neville Chamberlain must be your hero, eh?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask the OP probably the dumbest question but how do you run when it pitch black out? I live in an area like yours and I wouldn't be able to see my hand in front my face.

As far as carrying the gun, I understand. There are times I wish I had one while out walking during the day.

Where I live it's also pitch black. (Bonus to seeing the Milky Way on a daily basis!) I bought a very bright lamp to wear on my head and it works great to light up my walks. I also carry a spare flashlight as a back up, and both my doggies wear reflective vests so I can keep track of them. I actually love my late night walks. It's so peaceful and quiet when you can look up at the sky and see a million shooting stars. Try it one night you might be hooked.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have never ran with mine on, but I have a crossbreed holster for concealed. You should think about getting a shoulder harness, that should serve your purpose.
This discussion has been closed.