Running at night with a concealed carry.

Options

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Wow, to all the people who don't think it's a good idea for a woman to be able to readily protect herself. Open your eyes. I can understand the men being closed minded, but the ladies? Really? Are you all that naive about the world and how women are so easily preyed upon?

To the OP: Why not use a holster and wear a type of belt while running? That seems like the safest and most logical decision.
    I applaud you for choosing to protect yourself, ignore the idiots on here.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    haha I don't think liberals are going to come near this thread with a 10 foot pole. It fact I think they are all hiding in a cave right about now smoking a joint. I hope you didn't scare off 47% of the Americans on MyFitnessPal.

Is this all it takes to keep liberals away? :drinker:

said my bit , its like you re in the dark ages and just imagine putting a gun in the hands of someone who cant control their weight !!!!!

i agree with the gun bit but the weight thing is unecessary.... keep it light, americans love their guns, they don't care about killing each other as long as they do it first, it wont change let it go

You would be speaking German now if it wasnt for Americans & their arms.

keep telling yourself that...

Sure ....Neville Chamberlain must be your hero, eh?

And you'd be speaking french if it wasn't for the British and theirs.

But never mind. You'll all be speaking spanish eventually. Enjoy.

LOL you all know we'll be eventually speaking Mandarin?
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I do not run with a gun, however I hike open carry, hip holster (i would say 90% of Alaska carries on hikes.) That is with dog (bear bait). But in Alaska its not people I worry about.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Only in the United States of America! ;)

This! So glad I live in Canada where I don't have to worry about encountering people carrying guns while just out and about.....

Yeah right.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Assault Victims
    Can .... 2.3% .... US.... 1.2% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 5th. 92% more than United States Ranked 11th.

Rape Victims Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Rape victims Can .... 0.8% .... US 0.4% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 8th. 100% more than United States Ranked 13th.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Total crime victims Can....23.8%.... US.... 21.1%
    Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States Ranked 15th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

I like that you left out the Murder with firearms, you know, the one that probably matters most here :p

Can : 144
    US : 9639
    64 times Can

But yeah, that doesn't matter :p

Why does it matter most here? Cuz you say it does or is there logic behind what you just stated? If so, explain how you arrived at your conclusion. I know, silly ole logic...but that is how I roll.

.... lol that is such a typical gun nut answer.... the reason it's a more important statistic is because there are 64 times as many people dead, and i bet most of them aren't bad guys :/

Stats only explain so much. For example, Switzerland has the third highest number of guns per capita. Switzerland also has 68 murders by firearms to Canada's 144.
  • bwalker0823
    bwalker0823 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Seriously people?????? You are going to give this women flack because she wants to be safe? This is what is wrong with America today! People have lost their humanity.

I say go for it girl! I can't as well do this because I have a .357 magnum-isn't an easy gun to carry just walking hahahahaha I would say a shoulder holster, garter holster, or ankle holster would be my best suggestion-you need something that will keep it secure and in place....:)

Good Luck and good for you to take your safety into your own hands-nothing wrong with that at all and don't let people tell you it is. :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Wow, to all the people who don't think it's a good idea for a woman to be able to readily protect herself. Open your eyes. I can understand the men being closed minded, but the ladies? Really? Are you all that naive about the world and how women are so easily preyed upon?

To the OP: Why not use a holster and wear a type of belt while running? That seems like the safest and most logical decision.
    I applaud you for choosing to protect yourself, ignore the idiots on here.

Really?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Don't try and turn it into some anti-gun nonsense, I could care less if all of America had guns and wore them on a trip to walmart.

You jest to make a point but we've seen people open carry in our Wally - and we're in the safest area in the city.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wasn't Trayvon Martin murdered by a responsible gun owner?

He didn't have ANY criminal record!

Yes. Poor Treyvon was murdered by a responsible gun owner, while he was straddling said gun owner, pinning him to the ground and bashing his head into a concrete sidewalk.

Where I come from, that's called self defense.
    [/quote]

Yuppers ^^^^^^^
    [/quote]

Ok BS. Martin had a nice size juvenile record and school records of fights and violence.

If you want to compare apples to apples. Look at Australia when they introduced their gun ban. Gun related crimes sky rocketed because criminals kept their guns while everyone else had to get rid of theirs. So guess what, crimes went up because criminals knew they were the only ones armed.
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    3r0c31.jpg
  • bwalker0823
    Options
    Also, if you are going to carry make sure the laws in your state allow that and stay in the area that is legal-last thing you want is to get in trouble for just trying to be safe :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    As far as the people saying 'get a large dog'.... I'm going to call you out on highly irresponsible advice.

A.) If you have a dog that you fail to socialize to the point it would actually protect you on a run, then you have done a disservice to whatever dog breed you own. I love my dogs, I have big dogs, but they are not trained attack dogs. They would not go after a stranger, nor would I want them to go after a stranger. Heck if we are out of the house, they don't even bark at most people, they just want to be petted. This is the way most family pets SHOULD behave.

B.) To actually get a dog that would protect you requires you to purchase a few select breeds, and then train them INTENSIVELY so that they are safe around the house and around strangers, plus be athletic enough to go on a long run. We are talking maybe 3 or 4 different dog breeds, and if she has small children, not all of these breeds are appropriate to have. Not to mention the cost of training them to that level can be prohibitive.

Getting a dog is not always the answer. If your attacker has a gun, all it means is he has to take one extra bullet to shoot your dog before turning on you. Yes dogs will bark, but in a rural setting, if no one is around to hear it bark, well that's not done you any good. And if you say that 'your dogs will protect you against a _____ (bear, coyote, mountain lion, etc) I ask you why in the world you would want a beloved family pet to lay down it's life for you? Most wild animals can easily dispatch your average dog, unless we are talking a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Shouldn't you be trying to protect your dog as well as yourself in these situations?

Having a dog accompany you on your run should be:
    1. fun/enjoyable for the dog who is properly conditioned to accompany you (ie it shouldn't be too hot, the dog should be able to keep up with you)
    2. a deterrent.

Between my family members and me, we have 7 dogs, and really none of them meet both of these criteria. The yellow lab loves to run, but is so friendly, she'd encourage trouble. The chow is so furry that she gets too hot. The black lab doesn't know when to stop running and overheats. The German Shepherd is beginning to have hip/joint problems. Etc. etc.

However, I think that if both criteria are met, it's great for person and canine :)
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I know you guys are having fun arguing about this, but I think this would be the proper way to put this into perspective...

These stats .... :
    Yeah right.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Assault Victims
    Can .... 2.3% .... US.... 1.2% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 5th. 92% more than United States Ranked 11th.

Rape Victims Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Rape victims Can .... 0.8% .... US 0.4% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 8th. 100% more than United States Ranked 13th.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Total crime victims Can....23.8%.... US.... 21.1%
    Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States Ranked 15th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

Are because of this Stat.
    Murders with firearms
    Canada -144 Ranked 9th
    USA - 9,369 Ranked 1st. 64 times more than Canada
  • bwalker0823
    Options
    Wasn't Trayvon Martin murdered by a responsible gun owner?

He didn't have ANY criminal record!

Yes. Poor Treyvon was murdered by a responsible gun owner, while he was straddling said gun owner, pinning him to the ground and bashing his head into a concrete sidewalk.

Where I come from, that's called self defense.

Yuppers ^^^^^^^
    [/quote]

Ok BS. Martin had a nice size juvenile record and school records of fights and violence.

If you want to compare apples to apples. Look at Australia when they introduced their gun ban. Gun related crimes sky rocketed because criminals kept their guns while everyone else had to get rid of theirs. So guess what, crimes went up because criminals knew they were the only ones armed.
    [/quote]

We are fighting a losing battle here because people just don't get it! They want the criminals to have all the rights and good wholesome people to pay the price! End of story-we can't and never will get through to them. :( It's sad....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I like that you left out the Murder with firearms, you know, the one that probably matters most here :p

Can : 144
    US : 9639
    64 times Can

But yeah, that doesn't matter :p

i wouldnt say it matters most, OP never said why she carries, is it cause of mugging, rapes, or afraid to get murdered

also mind you the US has 10X the population of canda, so per person its not really as harsh as you make it sound

OP if I'm correct your main concern is not so much getting mugged, but more so the wildlife?

I don't find this statistic shocking of course there will be more deaths by firearms it is illegal to own a gun in Canada. I didn't look at the stats but can someone tell me what are the number of deaths comparisons for knives, blunt force trauma, or other weapons?
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    As far as the people saying 'get a large dog'.... I'm going to call you out on highly irresponsible advice.

A.) If you have a dog that you fail to socialize to the point it would actually protect you on a run, then you have done a disservice to whatever dog breed you own. I love my dogs, I have big dogs, but they are not trained attack dogs. They would not go after a stranger, nor would I want them to go after a stranger. Heck if we are out of the house, they don't even bark at most people, they just want to be petted. This is the way most family pets SHOULD behave.

B.) To actually get a dog that would protect you requires you to purchase a few select breeds, and then train them INTENSIVELY so that they are safe around the house and around strangers, plus be athletic enough to go on a long run. We are talking maybe 3 or 4 different dog breeds, and if she has small children, not all of these breeds are appropriate to have. Not to mention the cost of training them to that level can be prohibitive.

Getting a dog is not always the answer. If your attacker has a gun, all it means is he has to take one extra bullet to shoot your dog before turning on you. Yes dogs will bark, but in a rural setting, if no one is around to hear it bark, well that's not done you any good. And if you say that 'your dogs will protect you against a _____ (bear, coyote, mountain lion, etc) I ask you why in the world you would want a beloved family pet to lay down it's life for you? Most wild animals can easily dispatch your average dog, unless we are talking a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Shouldn't you be trying to protect your dog as well as yourself in these situations?

Having a dog accompany you on your run should be:
    1. fun/enjoyable for the dog who is properly conditioned to accompany you (ie it shouldn't be too hot, the dog should be able to keep up with you)
    2. a deterrent.

Between my family members and me, we have 7 dogs, and really none of them meet both of these criteria. The yellow lab loves to run, but is so friendly, she'd encourage trouble. The chow is so furry that she gets too hot. The black lab doesn't know when to stop running and overheats. The German Shepherd is beginning to have hip/joint problems. Etc. etc.

However, I think that if both criteria are met, it's great for person and canine :)

A lot of the dog posts were a joke. At least mine were.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Well...I went to lunch and came back to quite the read. I have never posted a thread that resulted in more than a single page of responses. :laugh:
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    http://www.discreetcarry.com/#!womans-holsters/c1yws

Made for your size and gun.

Also is a better idea than a fanny pack for one simple reason. Are you going to have time to unzip a fanny pack?
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hear you and I agree protection is needed when running alone at night or any other time. When I walk I carry a 2 ft metal pipe. Haven't got to running yet.
  • raptor5k
    raptor5k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Geez people this woman is just trying to exercise her constitutional right to defend herself, and is doing so legally by having a proper permit. Whether or not you would choose to do the same doesn't matter, she has the right to do it and I for one support you 100%

Whenever i am exercising in any form outside (biking, running, etc) I find a waistband holster doesn't work well with my gym shorts. If you're wearing pants you could do the ankle thing, though I think the best would be a fanny pack. yeah, it looks lame but it fits with your activity and gives you easy access to the weapon if needed, and keeps it more secure than just your waistband.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    A little personal pepper spray is like...less than ten dollars.

I dont think that was her question. Try reading her post again and come back with something just a liiiiittle more constructive.
This discussion has been closed.