Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow. Usually the US/UK divide on MFP is more subtle than this (random brands, using lbs not stone etc).

It's extremely disturbing how many of you thing it is normal to own/carry a gun! Violence breeds violence.

Anyway, preaching over. My non-gunslinging advice would be:

- Run during daylight hours in populated areas
    - Have music on low volume
    - Keep your wits about you
    - Vary your time/routes
    - Join a running club
    - Find a running friend
    - Borrow a dog (there must be some old folks who want their dogs walking?)

Interesting how you follow up your observation with an example of it.

- Carrying a gun =/= violence.
    - No one has advocated "slinging" anything.

For each and every CCW holder I know, the last thing they want to have to do is to need to use their weapon. (Well, second to last, I suppose. The actual last thing they want to do is to be a victim or be helpless to prevent someone else from being a victim.) People seem to equate someone carrying a weapon with them having some desire to take life. I disagree. In fact, based on what I have experienced in my lifetime, the opposite is more likely true.

And to reiterate what I posted many pages ago in this thread, I personally would not carry on a run because I am annoyed by carrying even a single car key on me. There is no carry option that would work for me. I am making a conscious decision to reduce my options when faced with a potential altercation for my own personal comfort. I appreciate (and firmly believe in) having the right to make that decision for myself.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    There are 16 pages of people giving advice with others randomly interjecting to shame gun owners. All of the advice being given now is a repeat of what has already been stated, so a topic change doesn't really matter much.

I don't think anyones shaming gun owners, just pointing out why they think advising someone to carry a weapon while jogging may not be good advice in their opinion. Maybe the thread got derailed but I personally think its irresponsible for people to be encouraging the carrying of weapons and I don't think there is anything wrong in expressing that opinion. If the area where the OP lives allows conceal and carry then they can take the advice from those people in the know and if not there is the opposing view.

For people getting defensive there has also been quite a few rude comments here about countries like the UK where guns are illegal. US is a great country but there are many other great and free countries in the world. Live and let live.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    My son bought me one of these (not sure how to post pics) http://www.amazon.com/Jims-Flashlight-Zaplight-Zapper-Combo/dp/B008HIP92G It's an actual flashlight and a stun gun with an unheard of 1-million-volt charge that will knock down any attacker. Rechargeable... it will ward off any animal (2 or more legs).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My son bought me one of these (not sure how to post pics) http://www.amazon.com/Jims-Flashlight-Zaplight-Zapper-Combo/dp/B008HIP92G It's an actual flashlight and a stun gun with an unheard of 1-million-volt charge that will knock down any attacker. Rechargeable... it will ward off any animal (2 or more legs).

Voltage is misleading. Amperes are dangerous, not voltage. Voltage would be the equivalent of water pressure. Ampere would be equal to the water flow. So you can have low ampere, and very high voltage. A household outlet had low voltage but higher amperes and is more dangerous.
  • sdpasque
    sdpasque Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What kind of a society are we building that we feel so unsafe? And guns just make it worse. I grew up in a gun culture, too, and I have hunting rifles, but I would never think of roaming around in public armed. One of my friends was trying to convince me that maybe I ought to be prepared in case there was a shootout at McDonald's or something. I asked her, when has that ever happened to you or anybody you know? She didn't have an answer. Nope, don't need to be armed in public. But I do carry a cell phone with me.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What kind of a society are we building that we feel so unsafe? And guns just make it worse. I grew up in a gun culture, too, and I have hunting rifles, but I would never think of roaming around in public armed. One of my friends was trying to convince me that maybe I ought to be prepared in case there was a shootout at McDonald's or something. I asked her, when has that ever happened to you or anybody you know? She didn't have an answer. Nope, don't need to be armed in public. But I do carry a cell phone with me.
    Just because it has never happened to you means that it never will? Not arming yourself because 'it hasn't happened yet' is definitely not a valid reason. I understand if you choose not to for other reason.. but simply because it hasn't happened yet?

Proactive, not reactive.

My family members have been driving with windows down and had a gun randomly put to their head, home invasions and yes a random robbery at a retail location is possible as well. You're very fortunate to have never been put in such a situation, but that doesn't mean you're immune to it. I would rather rely on myself for protection than put my well-being in the hands of strangers.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i'm a little late to reply to this thread, but walking at night has left me with many scary experiences.

one time a large car stopped and i heard a man shout "get in the f*cking car!" and i just ended up running into my neighbours backyard. i'm pretty sure he just drove off.

another time i was about a block away from my house and a van with a bunch of guys in it drove passed me but stopped after about 10 feet, and turned around and followed me. once again, i went into someones backyard. mainly because my neighbours are amazing people and i know they would help if i ever needed it.

i refuse to walk alone at night now. and if i absolutely have to, i'm extremely paranoid and NEVER go down ally's

one time i had 911 dialled into my phone walking just incase i could just press "send" and could call them. the police ended up calling me! and asked why i had 911 typed into my phone for such a long time. lol it was crazy.
  • zombikitten
    zombikitten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm about at the point where I'm not going running without some weapon. Right now it's pepper spray, but honestly that's more for looks (bright yellow with a key chain to hang it off my shorts) than for actually protection because it depends on the wind and other elements to work correctly and now end up harming you! I also have an 80lb Golden Retriever, but she loves car rides so that might be counter productive if I were ever put in a similar situation as you. In about a month I'm planning on getting a small hand gun, either a Ruger or a Glock, and getting those compressed shorts with the built in holster in the back to wear whilst running. The good news is the neighborhood I'm in is pretty safe, everyone knows everyone, and we can spot an intruder from a mile away. But for people who live in highly populated areas or the city, you may want to get a more bad@$$ form of protection.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    live in a small town, and bad things don’t happen in small towns….Right?

Earlier today however, as I was running, a gentlemen actually pulled his car over in front of me to tell me that I was “looking good, girl” and grinned and watched me pass….This totally freaked me out!! Who does that?? Now, I am starting to rethink this whole “not being overly cautious” thing.

I think it was just a creepy compliment. Men do that way too often in Chicago and some yell and curse at you when you keep moving and don't thank them for the compliment. The nerve of them lol.

Sorry if this is a repeat but. does your town have crime statistics online? I looked them up for the stretch of lakefront I run on. A couple people on bikes were robbed for iphones/ipods by teenagers. Those happened during the day and early evening (after school lets out). I just stay aware and haven't had any issues.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just because it has never happened to you means that it never will? Not arming yourself because 'it hasn't happened yet' is definitely not a valid reason. I understand if you choose not to for other reason.. but simply because it hasn't happened yet?

Proactive, not reactive.

My family members have been driving with windows down and had a gun randomly put to their head, home invasions and yes a random robbery at a retail location is possible as well. You're very fortunate to have never been put in such a situation, but that doesn't mean you're immune to it. I would rather rely on myself for protection than put my well-being in the hands of strangers.

So what did your family members do when they had a gun randomly pointed at their head? I'm trying to envision getting to my own gun without having my head blown off.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Walk in the bog.. few people but still nice enough to be alone.
    But when people go down to the bog its to workout and ride bikes play with their dogs, not to stare... never had that problem.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Take martial arts or self defense classes and always be aware of your surroundings.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed this thread is still going, but I guess it's time to comment. Those of you who feel safe because it's never happened in your town or to you, should read the story about the woman in Sidney, MT who was abducted by two crack heads from another state at 6:00 AM while out on her morning jog, one that she had been doing forever. She was brutally raped and murdered and buried in a field in North Dakota hundreds of miles from her home. Sharon was very fit and strong, but no match for her abductors. Would pepper spray or a gun have helped? Who knows? But she may have had a chance,. Better yet, she may have seriously wounded or killed one or both of the men and the outcome would have been different. Protection is a personal preference. No one is crazed because their choice of protection may be a firearm, to criticize that choice is absurd. If someone feels no protection is right for them so be it. We have the freedom to choose what is right for us as individuals. Fear the governments that want to make that decision for us. To sdpasque: guns don't make it worse, criminals make it worse. Criminals on crack make it even worse.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    +1
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow... I've read through all of these pages and am wondering if I am the only female runner on here who is far more concerned about getting hit by a car than about getting attacked? Statistically, I think vehicle vs pedestrian happens far, far more often than getting physically attacked/abducted/etc while out running or walking. Just because something seems scarier and gets more news coverage doesn't mean it is more likely to happen.

Can we add **Obey traffic laws** and **Wear bright/reflective clothing** to the list of precautions?
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Carrying a gun WILL NOT stop a rapist.... it will not stop a kidnapper.... It will not stop them attacking you. What will stop them is running in safe areas - in a group - at safe times.
    Unfortunately for you, there are hundreds of thousands of examples where having a gun did stop exactly this in the USA..

Hell, there was a great ama thread on reddit about this where the topic was have you killed in self defence. Kid 1 was playing basketball, kicked this kid 2 *kitten* at the game, then kicked his *kitten* when he tried to fight after. embarrassing him. He threatened kid 1's life. Turns out kid 2 was a younger brother of a gang leader in the area. Kid 1's dad was special forces, gave him a gun, and trained him to use it after school so he could draw and shoot properly. couple weeks later kid 1 was jumped by kid 2 and 2 others, they all had knives and the intent was obvious. Kid 1 ran, they chased. He was cornered, so he drew and killed all 3 as they attacked.

voila. gun stops someone from being attacked. even though he was in a safe area. wooo.

edit: found the thread: got some details wrong. great read tho. http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/nnsrf/redditors_who_have_killed_in_selfdefense_or/c3almyr

Now let me ask you. What should the kid have done instead?
  • sdpasque
    sdpasque Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    And as I said, it's never happened to ANYONE I know. I've lived in seven states, have been active in all of them, and have never had a gun pulled on me nor has anybody try to abduct me. I play the probabilities--millions of people move around every single day without incident. The nefarious incidents are quite rare, statistically speaking. Again, I live in a gun culture, have hunting rifles, but wouldn't dream of arming myself in public. Never had a problem, and again, neither has anybody I know.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Loving the concealed carry compression shorts, for those of you not liking the weight of a handgun, the thought of using it, or just not wanting to add a gun to the situation the SOCP dagger from benchmade is another option.
  • oxfordblonde
    Options
    Some of these women who are posting saying things like "I'm not scared of men.. I lift weights. "

Are you really that stupid? Especially these girls who look like they weigh about 100lbs. I hope you realize that men are naturally stronger than (most) women. You should be scared. I'm not saying don't ever leave your house and be in terror every day, but don't be so naive to think that you should run at night without protection because "you lift weights." Especially when you self proclaim that you live in a neighborhood full of thugs.