Why high dietary fat %? Are we trying to kill each other?

Options
There have been some posts recently which suggest setting fat as high as 70% of total calories. Why would someone eating at a deficit consume so much fat? The food volume is low, the overall diet lacks fiber and micronutrients due to the low carbs, and the protein is too low to protect muscle mass.

And while I'm asking questions that are sure to get me flamed, where did the often referred http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets originate? The idea of telling people who are obese to set their goals to "0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target" is poor science and could be harmful to their health. A 250 lb person eating 1700 cals per day would be consuming 45% of their calories in fat. Why are we perpetuating this?

Notes: 1) Yes, I know that carbs do not contain micronutrients but carb containing foods do. 2) A 250lb female my age and height, sedentary, would be consuming 1700 cals at TDEE -20%

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'll give it a go with 'fat doesnt make you fat'.....?
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i've never heard or seen of such a thing but a diet of 70% fat ........... F that, simple lol
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I eat 50% of my cals from dietary fat (nuts, oils, fatty fish, and avocados). Avocados have tons of fiber. Not sure what the problem is...seems to be working pretty well for me. Feel free to check out my diary.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Consuming dietary fat does not add to bodily fat. Dietary fat helps the feeling of "fullness" just like carbs do, but carbs metabolize very differently than fat.

The recommendation would be made for someone on a low carb high fat diet. You can't eat potato chips and losing weight, but you can eat bacon and lose weight :)
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think the 0.35 g per pound bodyweight is an estimate for optiumum vitamin solubility. Obviously heavier people will need more fat by that assumption, and I think the answer in the end is that it's different for everyone. Some people like high fat diets because it's known to me more satiating, I think it's really what works for you and your body.
  • twelfty
    Options
    eating that quantity of fat is likely to give too much unhealthy fat, that's asking for artery clogging
  • darrenlees
    darrenlees Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    'eating that quantity of fat is likely to give too much unhealthy fat, that's asking for artery clogging '

^^^ Not true if person sticks to mainly unprocessed foods

'The recommendation would be made for someone on a low carb high fat diet. You can't eat potato chips and losing weight, but you can eat bacon and lose weight :) '

^^^^ this :-)
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Consuming dietary fat does not add to bodily fat. Dietary fat helps the feeling of "fullness" just like carbs do, but carbs metabolize very differently than fat.

The recommendation would be made for someone on a low carb high fat diet. You can't eat potato chips and losing weight, but you can eat bacon and lose weight :)

It's not all about losing weight. We should be aiming for sustainable good health. Eating excessive fat at the cost of other nutrients negatively affects long-term health.

And yes, you can lose weight eating potato chips. As long as you stay at a caloric deficit.
  • twelfty
    Options
    'eating that quantity of fat is likely to give too much unhealthy fat, that's asking for artery clogging '

^^^ Not true if person sticks to unprocessed foods

'The recommendation would be made for someone on a low carb high fat diet. You can't eat potato chips and losing weight, but you can eat bacon and lose weight :) '

.............. you just contradicted yourself in one post so well done for that lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Because being extreme is the fad du jour. Blame the paleo/ primal folks for turning the overeating of bacon into a dieter's birthright.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

.............. you just contradicted yourself in one post so well done for that lol

Waaaaait... You mean bacon is.... is.... is... PROCESSED? WHAT?! Why hasn't anyone made light of such atrocities?!
  • darrenlees
    darrenlees Posts: 65 Member
    Options

You got me, I missed out a word, enjoy the feeling of superiority...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Because being extreme is the fad du jour. Blame the paleo/ primal folks for turning the overeating of bacon into a dieter's birthright.

Nope, blame that on the abuse of Atkins from last decade's fad diet.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

dietary fat has no impact on body fat unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. fat is also great for long term energy whereas carbs are better for short term energy. I like long term energy. :)

55% fat, 25% carbs 20% protein
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Most hardcore Atkin's people I knew are dead.

P/Ps kick it up to a notch that would have made Atkin proud.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options

Oh no no no. People following the Paleo diet should be limiting their processed meat intake. Including bacon. I don't know a single Paleo/Primal person who will tell you that you can eat unlimited processed meats. (and I'm not including internet people, only those who are Paleo/Primal that I actually know in person.)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Most hardcore Atkin's people I knew are dead.

P/Ps kick it up to a notch that would have made Atkin proud.

what do you think the Paleo/Primal folk have wrong, out of curiosity? not that I agree with absolutely everything Mark Sisson says, but what's your beef?
  • twelfty
    Options

You got me, I missed out a word, enjoy the feeling of superiority...

no you just said unprocessed foods don't contain unhealthy fat then concurred to eating bacon (a processed food) which will have unhealthy fats

to add i don't care that it's processed and enjoy 300g of it every week, but if you want to talk as if you're going to eat a 70% fat diet without unprocessed foods and unhealthy fats clogging your arteries.... i disagree
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

dietary fat has no impact on body fat unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. fat is also great for long term energy whereas carbs are better for short term energy. I like long term energy. :)

55% fat, 25% carbs 20% protein

You are trying to gain weight - not lose. And you consume a ridiculously high calorie level that would require more fat due to density. I specifically said this is bad advice for those who are eating at a deficit and trying to support good health.

Would you suggest to your "clients" that they consume more fat and less protein and carbs than their body needs? Because that's what's happening here every day.