Do you LOVE to do something, but you suck at it?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I paint. Terribly. But we hang them in our house, and an occasional relative has been known to hang one of my monstrosities in their homes. Writers write. Painters paint. Selling is a bonus for those with talent.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Mountain biking.
    Rugby
    Snowboarding.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Dancing!

I look like the retard that just stubbed her toe on the dance floor...

But half of my cardio workouts are from dancing.

I know you mean nothing by it, but I can't not say anything. Please don't use the r word. It is very derogatory and offensive.
    Wah freaking wah.

No. It's a word that needs to be taken out of our lexicon. As a teacher, I have many special ed teacher friends who could tell you that many mildly impaired kids, who lack many of the tools to deal emotionally with name-calling, are really damaged by language like this. So become an adult and have some compassion.

people always have something to cry about

Yes, excuse me for having sense and compassion. Excuse me for sticking up for a group of amazing people who might not always be able to do so themselves. It is unfortunate that there are people like you out there that see it as no big deal. People out there that don't seem to give a damn about how you or your language might affect others. In the end, by using the word, you are the one that will be left looking like a fool. We all have a soapbox and I choose to stand on mine from time to time.

As a person with and a parent, aunt and neice of people with disabilites, I actually find it completely and utterly offensive that you people associate the word retard with them! They are not retarded. They are different then others but that does not make them retards. To me that word means dumb or an idiot, which I and these people or not. So to be offended by the word because you want to protect people with disabilities, is, actually if you think about it, in itself is offensive because you are basically calling my son, nephew, uncle and myself, retarded.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i love to dance but I have 2 left feet, but when my boyfriend comes to visit we dance for hours to the i pod who cares if I don't do it right it is good exercise, he is a great dancer mind you would love to be able to dance like him
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Dancing!

I know you mean nothing by it, but I can't not say anything. Please don't use the r word. It is very derogatory and offensive.
    Wah freaking wah.

No. It's a word that needs to be taken out of our lexicon. As a teacher, I have many special ed teacher friends who could tell you that many mildly impaired kids, who lack many of the tools to deal emotionally with name-calling, are really damaged by language like this. So become an adult and have some compassion.

people always have something to cry about

Yes, excuse me for having sense and compassion. Excuse me for sticking up for a group of amazing people who might not always be able to do so themselves. It is unfortunate that there are people like you out there that see it as no big deal. People out there that don't seem to give a damn about how you or your language might affect others. In the end, by using the word, you are the one that will be left looking like a fool. We all have a soapbox and I choose to stand on mine from time to time.

As a person with and a parent, aunt and neice of people with disabilites, I actually find it completely and utterly offensive that you people associate the word retard with them! They are not retarded. They are different then others but that does not make them retards. To me that word means dumb or an idiot, which I and these people or not. So to be offended by the word because you want to protect people with disabilities, is, actually if you think about it, in itself is offensive because you are basically calling my son, nephew, uncle and myself, retarded.

You people need to get over yourselves. Seriously. All this PC nonsense today CAUSES more problems than it helps. Kids with strong spines will get a lot further in life than kids who are coddled, whether they are retarded or not.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Dancing!

says who? your social norms? sorry my dear but it no longer means a person with a disability, get over yourself and your attempt at being "appropriate"

I personally think if people continue to give the word power it will continue to have power over others. If anyone has taken the time to look up the word it means 'to retard' something, or to 'hold back'. Fire retardant. Retard your brakes. etc. OP stated she looked 'retarded' - meaning in tone and text, 'being held back in her success'. Technically speaking, it's only an insult if the word itself is given the power to mean something else.... which is the case if we keep talking about it. If people started pointing and laughing at others while screaming out "orange" it would eventually take on a whole new meaning. I'm sure the original OP meant no offense and the offence now is that it keeps carrying on. And I do realize that includes me posting this.
  • ninessential
    Options
    Dancing. I love to dance behind closed doors in my home because nobody is around and no one can see me. I like to imagine myself like one of those professional choreographers or dancers. Or whenever I'd go to Zumba at my gym I'd like to think I look like my instructor when she moves. But I know I'm so off. lol. :/ Maybe one day I'll be dynamite at it.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options

I personally think if people continue to give the word power it will continue to have power over others. If anyone has taken the time to look up the word it means 'to retard' something, or to 'hold back'. Fire retardant. Retard your brakes. etc. OP stated she looked 'retarded' - meaning in tone and text, 'being held back in her success'. Technically speaking, it's only an insult if the word itself is given the power to mean something else.... which is the case if we keep talking about it. If people started pointing and laughing at others while screaming out "orange" it would eventually take on a whole new meaning. I'm sure the original OP meant no offense and the offence now is that it keeps carrying on. And I do realize that includes me posting this.

Very nicely put, and I wish everyone would stop crapping this thread up with their responses to an innocent comment.

Mine would be lifting weights at the minute! I have carpel tunnel in both wrists and put myself out of action for days at a time by even lifting the most meagre of weights. Roll on my op!
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Did someone already lay down the pun of "yes, giving *kitten*"? Cause that would be a great pun.