why are girls competitive at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options
    At my gym, the guys in the free weights section seem way more competitive than any girls. Mostly, though, everyone just chucks in their headphones and gets into the zone. It's better when you're there to focus on yourself.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Guys competitive? Sheesh.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just wanna show off, that's all. Probably a guy close by.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    i notice girls look at other girls at the gym with a "hmm... interesting" look
    or
    "eww... ill show her!"

how competitive are you girls with other girls at the gym? why do you do it?
    Not just the gym but in life in general. It seems that almost every female I know (family included) are all trying to one up each other. Some do it with clothing, some with fitness, some with hubbies, etc.
    Not that men don't do it either, but I think we're a little more subtle about it. Just my opinion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have never witnessed this.

me neither. at any gym...and i've belonged to 4 different ones...??

I've never seen this at any gym. Of course I've also noticed that when I has fatter and more insecure, I was certain people were giving me dirty looks, but now that I'm more fit and confident, I don't even notice if people are looking at me or not (unless it's that one guy at the gym whom I like).
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    As long as they stay in the cardio section where they belong, I could care less.

*ducks*
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I only notice other women when they are lifting heavier weights than me. And the emotion I experience is usually 'F yeah'.
    As long as they stay in the cardio section where they belong, I could care less.

*ducks*

The hell? Really?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I think PEOPLE are competiive at the gym. The gym I go to, the men are so much more worried about what the other men in the gym are doing that you can actually see the wave of exercises pass through. One guy finally decides to use a barbell for something other than a bench press, and suddenly there's a line of people waiting to also test out their deadlifts (or squats, or whatever it might be).

That is following the alpha male, he does an exercise then a wave does it. If it was competition they would be doing heavier weights. Most guys don't compete or give each other a hard time in the gym because we understand it's one of the few last places that are woman/kid free zone. Also once a guy hits around 27 they tend to give up peacocking around other men cause you will get called out for doing it by your friends or random strangers.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Im pretty self absorbed so I've never noticed...lol. I generally don't pay much attention to people unless they are some how spetacular in some way that grabs my attention.

edit: then again, if it makes you want to go harder and longer then hey it's beneficial so who cares! lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OMG! I'm not the only one who notices! Lol, I'm overweight myself, and I see these skinny, prissy chicks who try to compete with me all the time! "Like, hello?! You have a smokin' bod & I'm the big one over here! Lay off!" -thoughts-

And I out-do them on the elliptical, hahaha. I end up on it before them and I stay on after they leave :P

I try to zone people out more. I used to be super self-conscious at the gym but now, I don't give a f***. When I'm the one drenched in sweat & looking gross from a killer workout while losing weight & other women are just a waste of space, texting & lightly walking, I'm the one laughing.

Who is the one judging and being competitive?

In my gym the men are competitive, not the women. I compete against the numbers on my sheet because comparing myself to someone else does no justice to me.

:drinker:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed this.

Then again, when I am in the gym, I am concentrating on myself and trying to have the best workout that I can possibly have, and I don't care what all the other girls (or anyone else) around me is doing.

I can't properly squat more than my bodyweight while avoiding injury if I keep trying to somehow watch and out-do the others around me.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    That's women, isn't it? It's not the gym, it's just women.

True, that.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I only notice other women when they are lifting heavier weights than me. And the emotion I experience is usually 'F yeah'.

*ducks*

The hell? Really?

Dont want them getting bulky.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm competitive everywhere and at all times. I don't limit it to just gym time.

But I'm not looking at women and saying "hmmmm" or "eww"

I'm thinking... Wonder how hard she hits... Or how fast does she run. Or how many pushups can she do?

I have a drive to succeed. I like to get a benchmark and then smash it.

Nothing personal. :flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I see someone working out hard I find it motivating and try to do the same. Not really competition though.
  • PrimalSiren
    PrimalSiren Posts: 144
    Options
    No I haven't seen this, however I did get a nasty look from a guy once when I asked if I could use his weights after he had finished lifting, then picked them up and hauled em off all by my big self /flex. I guess he was surprised I could lift as much as he could. I really don't think many women are concerned with what the other women are doing, and I bet the ones that are don't go to the gym for very long.

If I do bother to look around at the others in the gym its because I'm watching their form to see how I can improve my form or curious about an exercise they're doing. It's never to judge or be mean, I don't have enough time to do that.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    One of my female gym friends coincidentally just posted this on Facebook:

0f08e418-12b8-4a6f-8248-1f561684d302_zps03356d0e.jpg
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Some women at the gym I go to are a little competitive. I'm the fat sweaty chick on the treadmill so people generally stay away from me. The zombies will get me before they get anyone else in the gym. It's this way everywhere - there are nice folks and there are not so nice folks. Funny memory from college though - the Rec Center was affectionately nicknamed the Flex Center - it was a good place to pick up people. I never understood why the women would wear full makeup and giant hoop earrings to work out. All that running with these heavy hoopy earrings would stretch the earlobes. The only thing that came to mind was that the hoop earrings made for good stirrups....
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I used to be "competitive" at the gym when I first started going, always trying to do better than the person next to me. Now I usually don't care, I compete against myself, trying to do better, burn more calories, lift/pull/push more weight than the day before.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

*ducks*

The hell? Really?

Dont want them getting bulky.
    :laugh: that's how I became a hulk, true story.