new baby and i have no time to eat...

Options

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don't have a baby, but i was wondering if maybe just laying her down and letting her cry? I know it sounds harsh, but maybe if she doesn't get your constant attention she'll cry less? It could be wishful thinking on my part, but even if it was for 15 mins so you could have a decent meal, you would know the baby is safe, just a little unhappy.

If you don't like that idea, ask the friend who gave you the sling to help you get it on the first time.

Or you can do what my mom did...she handed me off to Grandpa in his rocking chair while she finished up her PHD.

I think you are amazing for having 3 kids. and congrats on the new little one.

So you think it's okay to let a 2 week old just cry? They're not crying for attention, they are crying because they have a need. They are hungry, they need their bum changed, they simply need to be held (and yes, I do firmly believe that it is a need to be touched, at any age). There is a time for independence, 2 weeks is not it.

OP, keep trying various slings and wraps. I loved loved loved my baby hawk, and my ergo when the girls were a bit older.

She's talking about 15 minutes...not letting them cry alone in a dark room for hours! LOL.

And you think it's okay to ignore you children's needs? Sorry, don't buy it that a 2 week old is a manipulative creature, only expressing their needs in the only way they can at this point in their life.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come off sounding mean or judgemental that is not my intent. But when I was nursing my 4th child It felt like she was constanty eating however she wasn't getting much as my milk production wasn't good(It seemed that I had a lot even the lactation nurse I worked with was surprised by the results) but we didn't know that until her pediatrician recommended I pump for a few days to see what she was actually getting & surprise no wonder she wanted to nurse constantly she wasn't getting what she needed.(I didn't have this problem with the 3 kids before her so this came as a big surprise) They put me on a medicine to help with my production & had me supplement with formula until I could meet her food intake need. Maybe you should try that to see if she is getting enough. A full baby is a happy baby & that makes for a happier mommy too. Good luck to you & Congrats on your new addition :)
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come off sounding mean or judgemental that is not my intent. But when I was nursing my 4th child It felt like she was constanty eating however she wasn't getting much as my milk production wasn't good(It seemed that I had a lot even the lactation nurse I worked with was surprised by the results) but we didn't know that until her pediatrician recommended I pump for a few days to see what she was actually getting & surprise no wonder she wanted to nurse constantly she wasn't getting what she needed.(I didn't have this problem with the 3 kids before her so this came as a big surprise) They put me on a medicine to help with my production & had me supplement with formula until I could meet her food intake need. Maybe you should try that to see if she is getting enough. A full baby is a happy baby & that makes for a happier mommy too. Good luck to you & Congrats on your new addition :)

and in addition to this, remember you are not a failure if you need to use formula. As a working mom my second child went to formula much quicker just for my sanity.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know how easy it is to forget about ourselves during this time. You can cook a couple pounds of chicken ahead, tuna sandwiches, pb sandwiches, smoothies - chop your fruit/veggies and freeze in bags so that all you have to do is add ice and milk or water to the blender. Almonds, boiled eggs, any fruit, baby carrots, overnight oats - no prep in the morning.
  • lizibame
    lizibame Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    some people just want to whine and validate their insecurities, as a mom who has worked 12 hour shifts since 6 weeks after her child was born, though breastfed/pumped exclusively for the first 10 months, and subsequently a single mom for quite some time, i didn't starve to death and my child is a very healthy and smart child. you'd think after raising 2 other kids she would learn a few things instead of leaning to random people on a forum to give her repetitive advice.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't have a baby, but i was wondering if maybe just laying her down and letting her cry? I know it sounds harsh, but maybe if she doesn't get your constant attention she'll cry less? It could be wishful thinking on my part, but even if it was for 15 mins so you could have a decent meal, you would know the baby is safe, just a little unhappy.

If you don't like that idea, ask the friend who gave you the sling to help you get it on the first time.

Or you can do what my mom did...she handed me off to Grandpa in his rocking chair while she finished up her PHD.

I think you are amazing for having 3 kids. and congrats on the new little one.

So you think it's okay to let a 2 week old just cry? They're not crying for attention, they are crying because they have a need. They are hungry, they need their bum changed, they simply need to be held (and yes, I do firmly believe that it is a need to be touched, at any age). There is a time for independence, 2 weeks is not it.

OP, keep trying various slings and wraps. I loved loved loved my baby hawk, and my ergo when the girls were a bit older.

She's talking about 15 minutes...not letting them cry alone in a dark room for hours! LOL.

And you think it's okay to ignore you children's needs? Sorry, don't buy it that a 2 week old is a manipulative creature, only expressing their needs in the only way they can at this point in their life.

If the kid is fed, changed, and all that jazz, yeah...I think it is OK for the kid to cry for a few minutes while I fix a sandwich for myself. What of it? I guess I'm not the coddling type.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    First off, Congrats on the baby!! My biggest suggestion is an Ergo carrier or a good woven wrap. I know you said you had the peanut sling. I'm a bit of a babywearing fanatic. Peanut slings are great but if you truly want a carrier that is hands free, comfortable and you are able to nurse in, I would suggest getting a soft structured carrier like Ergo, Beco, Baby Hawk, Olives and Applesauce, or Boba.

As far as foods, things like yogurt, cheese slices, sandwiches, fresh veggies/fruit, nut butters, etc would be great. Try to eat around 500 extra calories a day though. Your body burns roughly 26cal for every ounce of breastmilk you produce. If you want to continue breastfeeding with a decent supply, make sure to eat those extra calories.

Also I've realized after a few years of parenting that (as hard as it is) sometimes you need to put them down. I know that is easier said than done. I dont mean put them down for an hour and walk away, but if your going to successfully breastfeed, you really need to eat. So if all else fails, put the baby down and make lunch while singing a lullaby. Then hold the baby and eat with one hand... or put the baby down and eat quickly.

I've been breastfeeding my daughter exclusively for 8months now. If you need to talk or anything just shoot me a message!

** and if your baby is constantly eating she/he could be cluster feeding and getting ready to go thru a growth spurt = ) This too shall pass momma!! You got this <3
  • luv2fino
    luv2fino Posts: 1
    Options
    Let the Crock Pot be your friend for supper time. Wrap 2 Chicken Breasts, seasoned with a little dab of butter, salt and pepper, in tin foil, and put on the bottom of your crock pot then wrap 2 baked potatoes individually and put on top of chicken and put your crock pot on low and allow to cook for 5 hours and that will give you a healthy delicious meal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of typing on the forums here, you could be preparing food for tomorrow? I assume your kid is asleep and not attached to you since you have one or two free hands to type? Just pointing out the obvious though.

I was thinking this earlier as well. The last few months the OP didn't even log food but has 2.5k+ posts. Makes a lot of sense. :P

Agree on this.

Also feel bad for @textmessage. Poor guy raised two kids but is getting flack for lack of breast feeding even though not all moms breast feed either. His advice and points are pretty on par in my opinion.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of typing on the forums here, you could be preparing food for tomorrow? I assume your kid is asleep and not attached to you since you have one or two free hands to type? Just pointing out the obvious though.

I was thinking this earlier as well. The last few months the OP didn't even log food but has 2.5k+ posts. Makes a lot of sense. :P
    Just so you know you can type and feed with a boppy pillow it works quite well, and the needs of a breastfeeding mom can be up to 700 calories a day and the fact that she is 2 weeks postpartum and still healing she needs to start wtih 2500 calories and then add to that for breasfeeding which is 3200 cal a day and keep it there for around the first 6 weeks. That said it should be healthy calories not junk. But with a new baby and what is apparently very little help during the week it is next to impossible thing to do. I know I am a mom of 4 and my hubby is an over the road trucker and is generally home for only the first week after I have the baby.

No you never leave a 2 week old baby scream for 15 minutes this is not the time to teach self soothing! Come on people some common sense please!!!!!
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Just so you know you can type and feed with a boppy pillow it works quite well, and the needs of a breastfeeding mom can be up to 700 calories a day and the fact that she is 2 weeks postpartum and still healing she needs to start wtih 2500 calories and then add to that for breasfeeding which is 3200 cal a day and keep it there for around the first 6 weeks. That said it should be healthy calories not junk. But with a new baby and what is apparently very little help during the week it is next to impossible thing to do. I know I am a mom of 4 and my hubby is an over the road trucker and is generally home for only the first week after I have the baby.

No you never leave a 2 week old baby scream for 15 minutes this is not the time to teach self soothing! Come on people some common sense please!!!!!

It really is not impossible. Many people on this thread have given her great ideas, from a sling to making her meals at night when the kids are sleeping.

In regards to the the kid crying thing...parenting techniques are not one size fit all.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Figured id reply to both of you at the same time..iwas actually nursing her at the time, and i dont know if youve ever tried it, but nursing while trying to prep meals is kinda difficult.
    As for the not logging for the past few months, i did actually. It was just on a separate account to better track my weight and calories during pregnancy. Feel free to look at that diary though, its preggorocker
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids but could only breast feed one because the other was in NICU for a month because of the shunt he had to have put in. But I clearly remember eating with no problems when I breast fed. I had no help, dad was at work no family lived close.

The baby sleeps. Eat when the baby is sleeping. I see alot of excuses but yet you have plenty of time to argue with ppl that arent coddling you and saying what you want to hear. Congratulations on the new kid but seriously get with the program your post is ridiculous at best. If you need attention atleast come up with a post that doesnt scream WHOA is me its just so HORRIBLE I cant eat. If you dont have time then whats the point of giving you ideas? Takes a whole 30 seconds to grab a banana or apple and chow down with one hand.

Less excuses and more effort makes for a happy and healthy mommy and babies. I will just chalk your irritability and hostility to lack of nutrition reaching your organs and brain. How can that in any way be healthy for the lil guy? EAT lady your baby is depending on it so is your health! Mental and physical.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Okay, all the people giving the OP grief about having "over" days and typing when she could be prepping food, etc, need to stuff it. THE WOMAN IS TWO WEEKS POST-PARTUM. For God's sake, have some sensitivity. Her hormones are everywhere, she's exhausted, she has two other kids to care for, and a cluster-feeding newborn. She's not even supposed to be lifting anything heavier than the newborn at this point, but that's likely impossible with two other young kids.

I've only got one. At two weeks PP I was still basically living in my pjs with this squirming whimpering little creature basically grafted to my boob. I lived on the computer because it was my only contact with adults other than my husband and 72-year-old mother in law. I was getting plenty of calories, but it didn't feel like it because I was grabbing a handful here and a slice there in the few precious moments that my newborn was sleeping peacefully somewhere other than on me. I LOVE my son, and I was so in love in those early days, but it was still beyond overwhelming, and again, he's only my first. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with two other young-ish kids at the same time! She very well may be getting plenty of food on the days her hubby is home, but even on those days she likely doesn't feel like she's getting *food*, if she's having to resort to quick easy and microwaveable. She hasn't had time to shower regularly, let alone sit down at the table and eat an actual MEAL like a grown person. Congrats to the working mums who have pulled it off, the super-dads, and the rest. Go be superior somewhere else, it's not helpful.

OP, the best thing I can tell you is to keep plenty of fresh produce, nuts, cheese, and your meal bar of choice in the house. Things you can grab quickly and eat one-handed. Next day your hubby, a neighbor, a friend is available, TAKE A NAP. Seriously. Let someone else comfort the niblet while you take an hour's sleep. She won't die of neglect, promise, and you will feel SO much better. Feed her, then take a shower. Feed the baby, then sit down in the other room and actually eat a proper hot meal. Stock up on paper plates and plastic forks. Let the vacuum gather dust. See if you can arrange car pools to after school activities. Ask for help. Don't try to be super-mom, you'll drive yourself batty.

I know it's hard to even think right now. It's gonna be a bit until things settle into the new normal, but until then, I promise, nobody's going to call the cops if your kids are late to their extra-curriculars, or if somebody has mismatched socks or mentions they ate breakfast off a paper plate. Cut corners, get it down to the absolute minimum, and any time someone asks you "is there anything you need/anything I can do?", you say "Yes, actually, could you please (insert house chore/grocery run/hold the baby while I shower)? Thanks so much!"
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Okay, all the people giving the OP grief about having "over" days and typing when she could be prepping food, etc, need to stuff it. THE WOMAN IS TWO WEEKS POST-PARTUM. For God's sake, have some sensitivity. Her hormones are everywhere, she's exhausted, she has two other kids to care for, and a cluster-feeding newborn. She's not even supposed to be lifting anything heavier than the newborn at this point, but that's likely impossible with two other young kids.

I've only got one. At two weeks PP I was still basically living in my pjs with this squirming whimpering little creature basically grafted to my boob. I lived on the computer because it was my only contact with adults other than my husband and 72-year-old mother in law. I was getting plenty of calories, but it didn't feel like it because I was grabbing a handful here and a slice there in the few precious moments that my newborn was sleeping peacefully somewhere other than on me. I LOVE my son, and I was so in love in those early days, but it was still beyond overwhelming, and again, he's only my first. I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with two other young-ish kids at the same time! She very well may be getting plenty of food on the days her hubby is home, but even on those days she likely doesn't feel like she's getting *food*, if she's having to resort to quick easy and microwaveable. She hasn't had time to shower regularly, let alone sit down at the table and eat an actual MEAL like a grown person. Congrats to the working mums who have pulled it off, the super-dads, and the rest. Go be superior somewhere else, it's not helpful.

OP, the best thing I can tell you is to keep plenty of fresh produce, nuts, cheese, and your meal bar of choice in the house. Things you can grab quickly and eat one-handed. Next day your hubby, a neighbor, a friend is available, TAKE A NAP. Seriously. Let someone else comfort the niblet while you take an hour's sleep. She won't die of neglect, promise, and you will feel SO much better. Feed her, then take a shower. Feed the baby, then sit down in the other room and actually eat a proper hot meal. Stock up on paper plates and plastic forks. Let the vacuum gather dust. See if you can arrange car pools to after school activities. Ask for help. Don't try to be super-mom, you'll drive yourself batty.

I know it's hard to even think right now. It's gonna be a bit until things settle into the new normal, but until then, I promise, nobody's going to call the cops if your kids are late to their extra-curriculars, or if somebody has mismatched socks or mentions they ate breakfast off a paper plate. Cut corners, get it down to the absolute minimum, and any time someone asks you "is there anything you need/anything I can do?", you say "Yes, actually, could you please (insert house chore/grocery run/hold the baby while I shower)? Thanks so much!"

So basically, from your summation, she should make time for herself? I don't think anybody suggested that yet. :P
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Since when did having a kid become some sort of triathlon? I swear ppl need to stop being so weak and lame. Our ancestors would die laughing if they werent already dead. Yeah those women before us that didnt have epidurals and a comfy hospital to have a baby safely in and so on. FFS this world is an epic fail at this point if this is the mentality that is so acceptable WTF!?!?!
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I never liked my sling, it was not comfortable for me or the baby. I used a moby when she was really little (first 3 months) and then switched to an ergo. You can find these used all the time. Please get yourself one. It will return your sanity and allow you to do whatever you need to do.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've had five kids, my youngest is about 3.5 weeks, so I'm (again), kinda in the same boat as you.

Oatmeal is a quick and healthy option for breakfast. Fruit and peanut butter another. If you really don't have time, pour yourself a bowl of cereal and call it good, or eat a banana and granola bar.

Lunch: Sanwiches, any kind. Chips with cheddar melted on them in the microwave to make nachos, and store bought salsa.

Dinner. This one is trickier. If you can't get your husband to help for whatever reason, you might think about doing crockpot meals (if your baby is less fussy during the morning). Otherwise, frozen meals are an option, or just eat a lot of meatless spaghetti.

As far as baby wearing goes, if you're getting frusterated with the sling (I forget which kind you said you had), try figuring it out when you are feeling calm, or it will stress you out big time.

If you have older kids, have them help out when they get home from school. If they are too young to hold the baby, they can still help with housework and stuff.

Good luck!
  • Improvised
    Options
    Double post.
  • Improvised
    Options

Since when did having a kid become some sort of triathlon? I swear ppl need to stop being so weak and lame. Our ancestors would die laughing if they werent already dead. Yeah those women before us that didnt have epidurals and a comfy hospital to have a baby safely in and so on. FFS this world is an epic fail at this point if this is the mentality that is so acceptable WTF!?!?!

Just curious, have you had any children yourself?