Healthier Pancake Syrup Options

Options

Replies

• GraeKat
    GraeKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Log Cabin. . no high fructose corn syrup. . just plain ol sugar. lol. . healthier
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like Cary's Sugar Free syrup. It tastes really good, just like real maple syrup, though it is not quite as thick. I get mine at Super Target. There are 30 calories in 1/4 cup, which I think is a very generous serving.

Just be aware that it is sweetened with malatol and some people don't tolerate that particular artificial sweetener very well. I have no problems with it, but it tends to give some people cramps and/or diarrhea.

I second this one.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Vermont's sugar free maple syrup. 15 calories for 1/4 cup.

Same here it's pretty hard to beat :)
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use this. Its not quiet as thick as regular syrup but is yummy.

http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/product-p/mgf002.htm

*edit* It was already posted, haha.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit & a drizzle of real maple syrup, and enjoy every drop.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in on the "real maple syrup" bandwagon. It tastes better than all of the artificial maple flavored breakfast syrups, and you can therefore use less. Plus, no weird things in it that you can't pronounce.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and Greek yogurt
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat my pancakes with fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar. It's lovely and tangy/sweet
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Plain or vanilla yogurt with fresh berries or friut, or a quickly saute some sliced bananas in butter and cinnamon and add a little bit of pure maple syrup. (Just to heat it up a bit - the syrup thins a little so it spreads further and you can use less.)

My son loves them with peanut butter (natural!) and blackstrap molasses. :)
  • jnewborn
    jnewborn Posts: 1
    Options
    Joseph's maple syrup is excellent.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tblsp raw honey .with a tsp real butter and a bit of cinnamon..melt together in micro for 20 seconds

SOOOO delicious and clean no preservatives or anything artificial!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • botanikos
    Options
    The healthiest sweetener on the planet is Xagave! (Xagave.com available at Sam's Clubs.) It is low glycemic (good for diabetics), raw, vegan, gluten free, and tastes incredible.

It contains natural inulin pre-biotic fiber and calcium. This is the agave on the market that is cold pressed so it maintains its live enzymes and vitamins/minerals. Most agaves in the marketplace have been highly processed at high temperatures making them worse then high fructose corn syrup.

It is three times sweeter then sugar..so you use much less of it for your pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, tea, coffee and for all your baking and cooking.

It is a liquid sweetener second to none. It is eating a green plant that looks like an aloe vera plant.

By the way..I would not use honey..it is high glycemic..about 85 on the glycemic scale right below sugar. Even the purest of honeys organic etc. are about 65. Xagave is about 30 on the glycemic scale.

If you make lemonade from Xagave and add cinnamon and cayenne pepper..you have a real weight loss healthy drink.

You will love it and can help you lose more weight.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use Agave Nectur...one tablespoon is 60 calories.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There is Cary's which is sugar free.
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and fat free vanilla yogurt.
  • Carriesund
    Carriesund Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make my pancakes or waffles ahead and freeze them since they are whole grain and pretty good for me. I also make my syrup but it is not for everyone. I have used a variety of frozen fruit but I like peaches the best and I never by sweetened fruit. I am pretty sure any frozen fruit will do berries make a thinner version and peaches or tropical mixes make a thicker version.

I thaw fruit out at least enough to get put it in the food processor and I just process it until it looks like baby food berries will be thinner.

Then I pour it into a pan and heat it on low until it starts to bubble and thicken. It seems to really bring the sweetness out of the fruit without having to add any sugar.

Then I let it cool and put it in individual containers to freeze or refrigerate.

I reheat my syrup in the microwave.

You can also leave some of the fruit pieces out for the processor if you would and throw them into the pot.

I love this for breakfast of when I get a sweet craving it is much better for me than some of the other things I would normally reach for.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The healthiest sweetener on the planet is Xagave! (Xagave.com available at Sam's Clubs.) It is low glycemic (good for diabetics), raw, vegan, gluten free, and tastes incredible.

It contains natural inulin pre-biotic fiber and calcium. This is the agave on the market that is cold pressed so it maintains its live enzymes and vitamins/minerals. Most agaves in the marketplace have been highly processed at high temperatures making them worse then high fructose corn syrup.

It is three times sweeter then sugar..so you use much less of it for your pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, tea, coffee and for all your baking and cooking.

It is a liquid sweetener second to none. It is eating a green plant that looks like an aloe vera plant.

By the way..I would not use honey..it is high glycemic..about 85 on the glycemic scale right below sugar. Even the purest of honeys organic etc. are about 65. Xagave is about 30 on the glycemic scale.

If you make lemonade from Xagave and add cinnamon and cayenne pepper..you have a real weight loss healthy drink.

You will love it and can help you lose more weight.

Thankyou for this, I knew about agave being worse that high fructose corn syrup. I will try to find this type of cold pressed agave.
    A little raw honey is amazing for your digestive tract. It cant be processed at all though. It has anti bacterial properties and therefore worth it to me..I dont eat it very often
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    unsweetened applesauce
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use real 100% Pure Maple Syrup. The taste is so much richer that in doesn't take drowning it. I know that it is healthy and close to nature. Used in moderation. Besides if I am splurging for pancakes, waffles or french toast... I'm going all the way.

My philosophy is there are certain foods that real is better any day, any time. Syrup is one. Butter is another. I make my calorie choice accordingly for the rest of the day. :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I eat my pancakes with nothing on them. I make awesome pancakes; they don't need to be slathered in sugar to taste delicious. Sometimes I top them with peanut or almond butter or some jam. Sometimes I top them with banana slices and a little dusting of powdered sugar.

When I want maple syrup, I eat it - the real stuff. If you use a scale or measuring spoon, you can control portions easily. There is no Aunt Jemima or 'sugar free maple syrup' (what an oxymoron!) in our house. Real foods, in moderation, are what I consider healthy.