Should I concern myself with others' eating habits?

Options
124»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't be that person. When you were eating like them, how would you have reacted to one of your relatives telling the family en masse that they eat badly or wrong? Stay healthy, let them see you improve and let them ask if they want to. No one likes being told they are doing something wrong, especially when they haven't asked first, and there are few things more obnoxious than a reformed drinker/smoker/unhealthy eater preachIng to you about how what you are doing is bad.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Who brings salad to a BBQ?

That's what I was thinking. The only kind of salad I've ever seen at a BBQ was the potato variety.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. The only kind of salad I've ever seen at a BBQ was the potato variety.

That's because you live in the South.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

That's because you live in the South.

The South. Where BBQ is done right.
  • rachaelaldora
    rachaelaldora Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i didnt force my boyfriend to until he asked. Now im always on his *kitten*. he hates and respects it though
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think you have a skewed idea of what eating healthy means. Birthday cake can be part of a healthy diet.

So can meat.

Well, yeah. Of course.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No. Other peoples habits, not matter what they are, shouldn't be your concern.

Strangers? Yes. Family? No, I disagree. When I go to my diabetic mom's house and there is a plate of brownies and bags of potato chips on the counter and 3 types of ice cream in the freezer ... she's going to hear about that!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I was at a family bbq this past weekend and all the meat that was cooked was the first to go, the salad that was made went untouched(except by me). I notice that my family's version of "healthy" means completely cutting off a food group(just an apple for breakfast, no bread, no rice etc) which after a while I learned isn't good. This said, should I bother myself of telling those around me to eat like this instead, or eat this instead, or would I sound like that "health nut" person? Have any of you guys tried if so how did it go?

Be sure to get some meat before it's gone. The salad will still be there.

Having an apple instead of bread is probably helping, not hurting, your loved ones.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking for the past few days since I started eating better those around me haven't really done the same. I was at a family bbq this past weekend and all the meat that was cooked was the first to go, the salad that was made went untouched(except by me). I notice that my family's version of "healthy" means completely cutting off a food group(just an apple for breakfast, no bread, no rice etc) which after a while I learned isn't good. This said, should I bother myself of telling those around me to eat like this instead, or eat this instead, or would I sound like that "health nut" person? Have any of you guys tried if so how did it go?

Never tell anyone to eat like you. If you do so, they will think you are acting more superior towards them.
    If anything, you could ask them why they are eating that way and once they respond, say something along like "that's interesting; I learned that you need a combination of the food groups in order to have a healthy lifestyle....".
    Remember, every body (yes I mean body) is different. What is healthy for my sister isn't healthy for me and vice versa.
    Share what you know if asked...other than that, express how you feel but never tell them what they can and cannot eat.

I don't think anyone should do this either. It's like a passive aggressive way of commenting on what they are eating. Anybody is going to hear that as criticism & react negatively.

"I eat crap/the wrong proportions/too many carbs/etc. & that's why I'm so fat & have health problems! Thank you! I had no idea!" <--not going to happen.

I agree with the share what you know if asked & if you think they really want to know & aren't making polite conversation--otherwise keep your mouth shut.
  • MeganCamm8077
    Options
    I really struggle with this. My best friend is ridiculously unhealthy (2 buttered bagels and a chocolate brownie at half 9 this morning - WHAT?). He usually just finds it funny when I claw my hair out about his diet. My mum is really overweight, but despite saying she wants to lose it, will eat creamy pasta and pizza and probably doesn't even know how to spell lettuce. She completely flips if I ever point out how unhealthy she is.
    I guess I learnt you just gotta be concerned with your own health; you can't make people decide to put importance on theirs :-(
  • WendiLisa
    Options
    Nah... lead by example until/unless they ask you how you're making your health journey work.

Definitely follow this advice. I recently had someone tell me that when they start to eat, they ask themselves, "Is this what Wendi would eat?" I said, "I don't monitor what you are eating" She said, "I know, but I am now." :wink: