STOP with the 1200 calorie posts ~ rant

Options
Every time I click on the message board it's full of things like ''I'M GAINING ON 1200 CALORIES????'' ''NOT LOSING ON 1200???'' etc. Stop and actually READ what people are replying to these posts before making one. You aren't a special snowflake. I understand some people lose better on 1200 calories, but if you find yourself reading 2 or more posts that are relevant to you and your problem with eating 1200 calories, maybe actually TAKE IN what people are replying.

Alas, have a good weekend everyone! haha :-)

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Every time I click on the message board it's full of things like ''I'M GAINING ON 1200 CALORIES????'' ''NOT LOSING ON 1200???'' etc. Stop and actually READ what people are replying to these posts before making one. You aren't a special snowflake. I understand some people lose better on 1200 calories, but if you find yourself reading 2 or more posts that are relevant to you and your problem with eating 1200 calories, maybe actually TAKE IN what people are replying.

:flowerforyou:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I empathize with those folks. They put their data in the website, the website tells them to eat 1200, and they exercise herculean-bordering-on-anorexic self-control and yet see no results. It's tragic. :-(
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Amen
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    im usually on my iphone which i dont see forums. so, when i get on my computer i dont see majority of the stuff that have been posted about anything really. its not just the 1200 calories post. its other post. ewe i spend most of my time with my iphone. but i get your point. there are other forums that have been posted before they've posted.

^^~

and everyone fights different battles. not everyone have the same condition as the previous post.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I empathize with those folks. They put their data in the website, the website tells them to eat 1200, and they exercise herculean-bordering-on-anorexic self-control and yet see no results. It's tragic. :-(

Agree MFP really should put a disclaimer or something in bold flashing colors stating its NET 1200 so eat ur god dam wo calls back. That should stop half of the 1200 cal post, the other half well that's another matter.
  • innerninja3035
    innerninja3035 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    But MFP has given me 1200 based on my current weight and losing 1 lb a week.

Also, Weight Watchers, which is pretty healthy and supports a conservative rate of weight loss, is also about 1200 for my weight and height.

Wouldn't a net 1200 calories be adequate and healthy, especially if I also eat exercise calories?
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    *happy dance* AGREED.
  • bas27
    bas27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My first time on mfp I did my settings and it set me up for 1200 calories. I was working out and starving. I upped my calories and weight just flew off. Everyone is different
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    1200? I would die! I'm sure of it lol
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Also, Weight Watchers, which is pretty healthy and supports a conservative rate of weight loss, is also about 1200 for my weight and height.

Wouldn't a net 1200 calories be adequate and healthy, especially if I also eat exercise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My first time on mfp I did my settings and it set me up for 1200 calories. I was working out and starving. I upped my calories and weight just flew off. Everyone is different

I was shocked at the 1200 calorie recommendation too! I calculated my BMR to be 1744 and with activity I am eating about 1850 calories/day and losing 1lbs/week.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Not all 1200 posts are equal. Petite, short, women who are not doing heavy lifting and need to lose some weight legitimately women land there. I work out, I eat back wo cals, but some weeks, some months, just go slow. Weight loss is not linear. I appreciated those telling me that. I appreciate those encouraging some body weight exercising and encouraging me to cross- train. I appreciated gentle guidance to not over-do cardio.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Yes. It is legitimate for you. If you run into problems, you can make adjustments, just like everyone else has to do who hits a wall here and there.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If I could have only 1200 calories I would start walking anything to get a bit more at least up to what I am averaging on a daily basis 1800 or so. I would seriously cry if that was all I could have. Actually one day I did cry when I realized I was going to go over 2000, so I went for a walk problem solved.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Should've been here around Dec thru early Feb. you think it was bad now...
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is ok if you don't go under it consistently and eat back all your exercise calories. You don't want to hurt your body in the long run. I think if you were to stay under 1200 for a long period of time, you could do some damage. But no, I don't think 1200 is too low if you are staying on or over it, even after exercise.

A lot of people will say why eat so little when you can eat more and still lose? Which is pretty much true, But everyone is different and I am not really here to bash anyone. I think if you are still being healthy its perfectly fine. I don't really condone the "I am eating 900 calories a day and I am just fine!!!" Because the body won't probably show any symptoms until much later on. I still have issues sometimes eating at 1200. But mostly because I am watching carbs for glucose reasons. It's super hard to get up to 1200 without intaking too many carbs.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was once on the 1200 calorie train. Lost and gained the same 10 pounds over the course of 3 years (Ate 1200 for a few weeks, became depressed, grumpy and miserable, binge and eat everything in sight for the next few weeks. Rinse, repeat).

I found MFP, followed IPOARM and found out that my BMR is actually ~1700. Bumped up my calories to ~1900 and have lost 23 pounds total, the most I have ever lost since actively trying to lose weight. I'm at a weight I haven't seen in about...4-5 years. All because I ate more.

I don't even feel like I'm on a diet. I eat ice cream regularly. I stopped eating whole wheat bread (I hate the texture). I barely do any cardio, and I'm doing a pretty basic beginner weight lifting routine with some dumbbells at home until I can muster up enough courage to venture into the weight room at my school's gym.

Pretty much, I found success when I stopped listening to conventional weight loss rules.

But of course, the 1200 calorie myth will always remain. The diet industry thrives on failure.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    just the word "twelve hundred" makes me shutter
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Threads like 1200 cals & others that are multiple repeats I usually just ignore, because most people that use this site don't really hang out on the message boards a lot, if at all, so they don't see it all the time.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    So OP dont read the threads and dont worry yourself about what others are eating. Then there would be no need to rant.