The wisdom of the young

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    age is just a number....i have been through many experiences that most 40 year old's haven't seen.... i think instead of judging be grateful someone takes time to even give advice.... if you choose not to accept it than thats your choice but still be grateful someone took time out of there day....

You're right to an extent, age is just a number...but life experience (and I don't mean specific exeriences)...is something else.

Believe me, I'm not putting down or belittling your experiences, I know how quickly life can age a person. But even so...it's difficult to really gain the overall perspective without putting in the time. This is why 26 is usually (stress usually here) my cutoff for dating. Anything lower and the differences (even if the maturity level is similar) are just too great.

And this is coming from a guy who really hasn't changed much since he was in his early 20's lol.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Ha, because what I said was completely ineffective?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I will be 69. Forever.
  • bluecrayonz
    Options
    I will be 69. Forever.

LOL
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Ha, because what I said was completely ineffective?

Nope. It was lazy, but that seems to be the standard for people of your age today so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think that when people are asking for advise it's from people that have gone through the same things. You don't have to be very old to have problems. There are people struggling with anorexia and bulimia that are at and under the ages you are specifying. As well as other problems. I for one have tendinitis in my shoulder and I could tell people exercises and stretches that could help. I have bone spurs in my heals I could tell someone which inserts work best for my shoes so I can walk or jog. You did leave room for error in your topic by saying most but I don't think you know more because of your age. There are people that have been healthy all of there lives so they couldn't give you advise on health problems they haven't had to deal with. Also just because you are 40+ doesn't mean you are a doctor. I would take advise from someone that is younger than me if they have already gone through what I was trying to. These 18-22 year old people you are talking about also recommend talking to a doctor if it is serious.
  • bluecrayonz
    Options
    People are lazy to save time. I left out a period and a few letters...not much of a time saver, eh?
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    People are lazy to save time. I left out a period and a few letters...not much of a time saver, eh?

No, people are lazy because they're lazy. As you said, not much of a time saver, eh?
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Yeah but look at all the time you spent explaining yourself, should have just used the period. :laugh:
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    I think that when people are asking for advise it's from people that have gone through the same things. You don't have to be very old to have problems. There are people struggling with anorexia and bulimia that are at and under the ages you are specifying. As well as other problems. I for one have tendinitis in my shoulder and I could tell people exercises and stretches that could help. I have bone spurs in my heals I could tell someone which inserts work best for my shoes so I can walk or jog. You did leave room for error in your topic by saying most but I don't think you know more because of your age. There are people that have been healthy all of there lives so they couldn't give you advise on health problems they haven't had to deal with. Also just because you are 40+ doesn't mean you are a doctor. I would take advise from someone that is younger than me if they have already gone through what I was trying to. These 18-22 year old people you are talking about also recommend talking to a doctor if it is serious.

You're right. I don't know more because of my age. I know more than a lot of 18-22 year olds because of my life experience. There are plenty of stupid 40 year olds too. Most of them, however, are smart enough to know what they don't know and keep their mouths shut. Most 18-22 year olds lack that filter.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing posts in here in which people are getting advice from 18 year olds, 20 year olds, 22 year olds, etc. I'm sure there are SOME in that age range who have been through a ton, are well educated and are thoroughly qualified to give advice dealing with medical questions, relationships, parenthood and other such topics. However, when I was 18-22, my friends and I were all morons who knew nothing about life and had no business giving advice. Now that I'm 40, I have been through more and am somewhat more qualified to give advice but I am also wise enough to know when to keep my mouth shut (current post not withstanding). My point is that when you ask for advice, know who you are getting it from and, if you are one who likes to give advice, know when you should be giving advice and when you shouldn't.

Cue the indignant 18-22 year olds.

PBT! You having Goldfish and bourbon for dessert? ;)
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    Uh oh....someone remembers the BearTiger......
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, although I'm apparently old enough to give it. I'm just wondering at what age you become mature enough to pick fights with 18 year olds on the internet? Does that level of maturity level kick in at 38 or is 40 the minimum?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    So, you're saying I should take advice from someone who can't use a smart phone and takes (5) x 1 second videos thinking they're taking pictures? I saw this the other day and it's not about age. It's about the the intelligence of the person.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    HEY, OP

AL4h2Kb.gif

t3gFnBi.gif
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    I don't have any advice, although I'm apparently old enough to give it. I'm just wondering at what age you become mature enough to pick fights with 18 year olds on the internet? Does that level of maturity level kick in at 38 or is 40 the minimum?

When did I ever claim to be mature??
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    So, you're saying I should take advice from someone who can't use a smart phone and takes (5) x 1 second videos thinking they're taking pictures? I saw this the other day and it's not about age. It's about the the intelligence of the person.

Nice try chief. Try reading the whole thread before spouting off about things I've already addressed multiple times. Again, reading comprehension. And, for the record, my smart phone and I get along just fine.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the responses, because I don't want to see the back and forth really. I just want to say that on this site I don't go by age, I go by pounds lost.

If you're good at something, I will take advice from you. If I need advice about aging, I probably won't ask someone younger than me. However, if a 40 year old has lost 10 pounds and has a goal of losing 200...why wouldn't it make sense for them to ask me, a 20 year old, for advice?

Same with anything. There are 13 year olds who know more about gardening than me, if I need gardening advice I might just ask one.
  • bluecrayonz
    Options

Haha. I rest my case.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

Haha. I rest my case.

About what? Your case was about intelligence and laziness, not maturity.
This discussion has been closed.