Protein shake~quick survey?

Replies

• ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    waste of time an d calories an d wont help u lose weight or be full

well for me my shake fills me up and its only 120 cals ....... seems ok to me for my post workout snack
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    lately it has been :
    1 scoop Jay Robb Vanilla egg white Protein
    1 cup almond coconut milk
    1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
    1/2 spoon instant coffee

adding the cocoa powder to the vanilla seems to taste fine and has a lot less carbs. (not that I am super low carb- just try to keep it not too high
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    it is my breakfast- it is a lot quicker and easier than a bowl of cereal or bacon and eggs.it does keep me full
    how about eat real food
    for me a few reasons
    <1> with my sensory disorder I don't like the chew in the morning, so a drinkable meal is a good option
    <2> I usually can't get my needed protein amount (130) without a protein shake or protein bar.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    How about eat real food instead?
    How about we like our chocolate shakes!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    I typically have cookies n' cream flavour with 1/2 cup milk and it tastes really good :) I recently bought some vanilla cream flavoured whey, and I liked it when mixed with 1/2 cup of milk (1%) and poured over1/2 cup fibre one original crunchy cereal :) adding fruit and yogurt to make a smoothie is good. Adding 1/4 cup of dry steel-cut oats and 2 tablespoons of vanilla whey to whole wheat pancake mix adds a lot of protein, and I made protein cheesecake! Yummy

Edit: I didn't answer the question about one scoop or two... I always use one unless the recipe I am using calls for more.
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    One scoop with water.
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Hey, look, it's the "real food" brigade.

The amino acids from whey and chicken are homologous. The peptides that get synthesized from them are functionally identical. The only significant differences in protein sources are amino acid ratios, bioavailability, and digestion speed.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I usually do 1 scoop which is 25g of protein + soy or almond milk or water, and I add in ice and usually a banana, greens and frozen fruit. If I am making a smoothie type one I will use juice and fruit with chia seeds.
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Sorry I do have some here too but it just seems so fake when you can eat real food instead. Anyway yes each to their own but I still think going more natural is better if you can manage it.

Not quite sure why you are judging the OP's choice - last time I checked every person on MFP had a right to choose what they eat or drink - without judgement from others!!

It is clear you have no idea...... In my diary today (it is open) - you are welcome to try and judge the amount of "real food" I eat....

3 eggs = 240 calories and 21grams of protein
    130grams salmon = 452 calories and 26 grams of protein
    2 protein shakes = 194 calories and 36 grams of protein - YES - 36grams of protein

So - same as the OP I eat massive amounts of "real food" , but as it is a calorie "cheap" way to get extra protein into my diet - and frankly it is a very convenient way to get protein when one is out and about.....

And once again - judging other people's healthy choices in life is not cool

I love you for this.
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Gold standard choc malt 2 scoop, 1 cup of pasturized egg whites poured in, 1 scoop 100% creatine equals 2g fat, 6g carbs, 75g protein mmmmmmm
  • coz1979
    coz1979 Posts: 120
    I have one scoop off SSN strawberry flavour lean diet protein + with 250mls of water :)
  • 2 scoops of Phd Pharma Whey is what I usually have, in the morning I also add some Phd Creatine and I always have it with skimmed milk.
  • 1 scoop Giant Sports Delicious Protein (chocolate flavor) with water normally.

Since milk shake is one of my absolute favorites, I add chocolate icecream and skim milk with the same protein powder, mix it and serve. Yes, sugar galore, but oh so tasty every now and then and at least a bit better than just normal milk shake :)
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    1 scoop protein strawberry protein powder
    1 cup protein plus almond milk
    1 tbsp ground flax seed
    1.5 cups frozen bluberries
    1 tbsp organic coconut oil

All blended together! So yummy! tastes like a blueberry milkshake! About 450 calories of yummy goodness!
  • I use my protein shakes to fill in the nutritional gaps in the day. If I haven't had much in the way of leafy greens, then I'll add kale, if I haven't had much fruit, I'll add blueberries, etc. I usually make them with a plant milk; coconut, soy or almond. I've never tried using 2 scoops, but I think I'll start doing that on the days that I don't meet my protein goal.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Depends on the workout I did, the higher burn the more stuff.

200-400ml of either water, skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
    50g of MyProtein Impact Whey (either strawberry cream or vanilla)
    0g, 25g or 50g of MyProtein Instant Oats depending on my needs
    10g Psyllium Husk

That's it. If I just want a PWO protein boost I can throw in two scoops of whey and some husk in some water and it comes out around 210kcal, if I'm in a rush and need a meal replacement or need a big carb boost I can get that as high at 620kcal by using 400ml of semi and 50g of oats, so it's nicely scalable.
  • How about eat real food instead?

I eat real food too. Lots of it :)

Some people need supplements, how about being helpful?!?! I am 5'5, 167lbs and 28 years old and some days I burn 3,700 and I have NO IDEA how to get THAT MUCH protein in my day without shakes. I don't want to eat that much chicken and I don't want to feel that stuffed all of the time. Protein shakes are helpful and not harmful!

To the OP: 1 scoop cinnamon roll myofusion protein whey , 1/4c pumpkin puree, 1tbsp sugar free syrup, 40g banana or 1/4 c blueberries, 1tsp nutmeg, 2 c. unsweetened almond milk :)

That shake sounds delicious! I'm going to try it with the cinnamon graham cracker protein powder I just bought.
  • ACory69
    ACory69 Posts: 6 Member
    I never have time to clean a blender or even mix stuff up, so I like the EAS AdvantEDGE shakes. 17g protien, 100 calories, 3g net carbs. They taste awesome, too.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    lately i've been making an egg bake with mine....

I mash up a banana, 1 scoop of vanilla, and some egg whites...sometimes I'll also throw in some strawberries or apples and I bake it....top it with honey....

It's got a cake texture to it. It also tastes like cake...
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member

*eye roll*

WHAT in the flying fudgesicle do you care what other people eat? Maybe it doesn't keep YOU full but YOU can't speak for EVERYONE else...

>.<