My hips look huge :/

Options

Replies

• JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    Nope not fishing for compliments. lol about as long as they dont lie. I just wondered if you could slim that area down is all.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Mine IS truly huge. I am always very harsh on my self because of this - I eat very junky oily fatty food items and it piles on my hips ofcourse!! :) Also genetics play a factor and all the women in my family are very curvy.

but I realized that through diet (very much through diet) it helps reduce the saddle bags and chunkiness from the hips

:) I will do my best to eat healthy and exercise but instead of being harsh on myself, I will love my curves and work with it

P.S - you shouldn't be complaining about yours hips :) they look very womanly and great!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I didn't have hips until I had the mini (he's 10 months now)... you don't look like you're holding excess fat in your hips- as PPs pointed out, you look like a pretty ideal pear.

Strength training to tighten things up if you're really unhappy with your body comp, but you look great to me!
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    Yes, I am working on toning and tightening that are up and gaining some muscle.
  • LaSuiza
    LaSuiza Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just as long as they don't lie, everything will be fine.

Hahahahahaha....that one was really funny!!
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    Just as long as they don't lie, everything will be fine.

Hahahahahaha....that one was really funny!!

I agree...cracked me up.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    1. You can't spot reduce fat. Lose fat in general and your body chooses where from.

2. You're hips don't look that big.

3. That's your natural body shape. It's sexy. Embrace it, don't fit it.

4. My hips/*kitten* are 41".

Exactly.

JustAGirl0916, you need to lower your bf% and to hit deep squats and deadlifts. You need to work them and you will build muscle and lose fat with a solid diet. You won't spot reduce but you will lose fat overall.

I think the OP just wants slimmer/ firmer legs. Doing the above will achieve this.

Koing
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    1. You can't spot reduce fat. Lose fat in general and your body chooses where from.

Exactly.

JustAGirl0916, you need to lower your bf% and to hit deep squats and deadlifts. You need to work them and you will build muscle and lose fat with a solid diet. You won't spot reduce but you will lose fat overall.

I think the OP just wants slimmer/ firmer legs. Doing the above will achieve this.

Koing

Thanks alot...I have been working on squats. New to working out so will have to see what deadlifts are lol. Sad huh?
  • belligerent599
    Options
    What you should do is a lot of wide grip pullups and other exercises to work your lats so then you can have a really beefy upper body. Then your hips will look super narrow! It's all about proportions.
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    What you should do is a lot of wide grip pullups and other exercises to work your lats so then you can have a really beefy upper body. Then your hips will look super narrow! It's all about proportions.

Hmmm I never thought of that!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options

This is actually what I need to do, build up my shoulders. My hips are wide, but that's my bone structure and there's nothing I can do about. Even the tech doing my bone density scan teased me about them :(
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I need to do something!

Standing there looking incredibly yummy is working for me.
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    There may not be anything I can do either. I would like to tone up more though so I'm working on crunches,squats,lunges,planks
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options

This is actually what I need to do, build up my shoulders. My hips are wide, but that's my bone structure and there's nothing I can do about. Even the tech doing my bone density scan teased me about them :(

Pull ups are a killer lol but I guess I could give it a try!
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Koing

Thanks alot...I have been working on squats. New to working out so will have to see what deadlifts are lol. Sad huh?

Squats and Deadlifts. I personally think lunges are rubbish once you get beyond a beginner. You can't use enough weight.

Do not be scared to go a bit heavier once you feel comfortable with squats and weights. Women should lift heavy once they have their form down.

As for squats, make sure you can go as deep as you can. Stretch out your hips and legs before training and this will help you go deeper. More depth, working your muscles to a greater range = better.

Koing
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about my belly. I've always had a larger bum and legs, but at least I had a GREAT waist. Now... not so much :(

Me too! Its partly why it took me so long to realise I needed to lose weight - I still had a waist, its just it was getting ider and I was piling on back fat (which I couldn't see properly:wink: )

Your hips are fine, your legs are fine, and you have a lovely flat stomach. If you really want to work out your outer thighs, lateral leg raises (standing or lying) will improve the muscle, and as others have said squats and lunges are good. But the size of your hips is dictated by your pelvis - you won't get narrower than your bones!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    welcome to the club
  • ElenakiFra
    ElenakiFra Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    brazil butt lift! try it!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    sumo squats are also really great for getting the glutes and easier to do for the beginner than azz to grass squats.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Are you fishing for compliments?

That's what I think.