Office food at a new job

Options
My boyfriend just started a new job. It's in a fancy office and is his first real grownup job. Before he stared they told him they occasionally have catered lunches, mostly when big clients or the CEO is in. Sounds good. His first two days they brought in fried chicken and Mexican food. He brought his lunch today but doesn't want alienate himself from his new colleagues when he is just getting started there. Should he just eat with his coworkers for a few weeks to figure out the office dynamics and start making friends? Would it be weird if everyone is sitting around the conference table enjoying Popeyes together and the new guy pulls out his mug of chili from home? I am very comfortable in my office (7 years) and it is a little bit different working environment, and this is his first experience with coworkers outside of a grad student lounge so we're not really sure of the best course of action.

Replies

• lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My office is kind of like this too - more formal, I'm one of the youngest, and people don't tend to eat very healthy. It can be challenging. I think he should suck it up and eat with his co workers for the first couple of weeks. Maybe encourage him to eat a larger breakfast so it's easier to exercise control with the portions he eats at lunch? Or bring a healthy snack to eat afterward so that if he doesn't feel like he wants to fill up too much on that stuff, he will still have something to hold him over. I'm sure soon he'll be able to get a feel for when/if he can start bringing his own food.

I will say, the one time I went to a lunch meeting and didn't eat anything, I got a lot of weird questions. Luckily, at this point I am pretty comfortable with the people I work with, so it wasn't a big deal, but people definitely noticed.
  • Dena0033
    Dena0033 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think he should eat the food provided and just be really conscious about portion size. There's nothing wrong with eating fast food sparingly as long as you know what to order. If he knows what is going to be catered beforehand, he could quickly skim the nutritional information (if it's available) and try to eat the best options.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the issue of pulling out his container of homemade chill and eating with them. He can still eat and socialize with them, you don't have to eat the same food to bond. Its kind of an ideal situation, they aren't going to restaurants every day where he wouldn't be able to bring his own lunch and have a hard time making better choices.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of shocked that people are suggesting he cave in to "peer pressure" and eat unhealthily! Who cares what they think! I'm pretty sure you can't fire someone for wanting to eat healthy. And if they don't like him for not eating fried chicken, that's pretty ridiculous.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the issue of pulling out his container of homemade chill and eating with them. He can still eat and socialize with them, you don't have to eat the same food to bond. Its kind of an ideal situation, they aren't going to restaurants every day where he wouldn't be able to bring his own lunch and have a hard time making better choices.

This.

Plus as an adult, he should be able to reasonably explain his food choices to his (also adult) coworkers.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the issue of pulling out his container of homemade chill and eating with them. He can still eat and socialize with them. You don't have to eat the same food to bond. Its kind of an ideal situation, they aren't going to restaurants every day where he wouldn't be able to bring his own lunch and have a hard time making better choices.

The issue is it's poor workplace etiquette. This is not just a bunch of coworkers eating lunch together. When CEO level people and especially when clients are involved it's just not the proper thing to do. The proper way to handle if you really don't want to eat any of the catered food is to eat your own before or after the group lunch and have a beverage and socialize with people during the meeting.

If it's a small company and you get the vibe that the CEO is friendly enough that it's considered a social lunch among co-workers even when he/she's present than after a while it's probably fine to bring your own food to those lunches, but if you value your career don't walk into a client lunch meeting with your own food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I really don't see the issue of pulling out his container of homemade chill and eating with them. He can still eat and socialize with them. You don't have to eat the same food to bond. Its kind of an ideal situation, they aren't going to restaurants every day where he wouldn't be able to bring his own lunch and have a hard time making better choices.

The issue is it's poor workplace etiquette. This is not just a bunch of coworkers eating lunch together. When CEO level people and especially when clients are involved it's just not the proper thing to do. The proper way to handle if you really don't want to eat any of the catered food is to eat your own before or after the group lunch and have a beverage and socialize with people during the meeting.

If it's a small company and you get the vibe that the CEO is friendly enough that it's considered a social lunch among co-workers even when he/she's present than after a while it's probably fine to bring your own food to those lunches, but if you value your career don't walk into a client lunch meeting with your own food.

The examples she gave of the past two days sounded like it was a bunch of co-workers sitting together and eating lunch, not a client lunch meeting. I would also not expect a high level meeting to include Popeye's chicken, so I inferred a more relaxed tone to the lunch.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

The examples she gave of the past two days sounded like it was a bunch of co-workers sitting together and eating lunch, not a client lunch meeting. I would also not expect a high level meeting to include Popeye's chicken, so I inferred a more relaxed tone to the lunch.

Read better.

My boyfriend just started a new job. It's in a fancy office and is his first real grownup job. Before he stared they told him they occasionally have catered lunches, mostly when big clients or the CEO is in.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally get this.

When I started my new job, there were lunches for some thing or another almost every day. There were lunch meetings, and birthdays, and working lunches. There was Thai food, and Mexican food, and all manner of tempting treats.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe in avoiding certain foods, and I don't believe that there are "good" foods and "bad" foods. But when you are faced with an 800-plus calorie lunch every damn day it gets to be a bit much.

So my strategies:

1. Schedule other meetings at lunch.... if it's not a mandatory meeting, I would schedule a work meeting elsewhere so that I would not be faced with all the food.
    2. Eat my main meal at lunch. Instead of a big supper I would have a big lunch and then a light supper.
    3. Fit in a little extra exercise.

Now after several years, I don't really give a hoot what they think and I eat my salad while they sit there and chow down on whatever the meal of the day is.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Did your boyfriend ask you to post this? I bet he'd love the "his first real grownup job." bit.

I'm thinking a grad student has enough mental capacity to read the situation and respond appropriately, but in case he does not. I would say, have a few lunches with the coworkers (adjust diet and exercise plan accordingly) and when he has a better read on whether they are comfortable with his food decisions, then he brings his own lunch. If it is lunch around the table, casual, there is no reason why he can't bring his own and sit with them to eat it.

In fact, it may earn brownie points for having cohones enough to care about his food choices. Or not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Read better.

My boyfriend just started a new job. It's in a fancy office and is his first real grownup job. Before he stared they told him they occasionally have catered lunches, mostly when big clients or the CEO is in.

I read just fine.
    Before he stared they told him they occasionally have catered lunches, mostly when big clients or the CEO is in.
    Not always.
    The rest goes on to say
    His first two days they brought in fried chicken and Mexican food. He brought his lunch today but doesn't want alienate himself from his new colleagues when he is just getting started there. Should he just eat with his coworkers for a few weeks to figure out the office dynamics and start making friends? Would it be weird if everyone is sitting around the conference table enjoying Popeyes together and the new guy pulls out his mug of chili from home?

No mention of big clients or CEO. Again, wouldn't expect a catered high level CEO lunch meeting to include Popeyes.
    It sounded to me like he was expecting to do occasional catered lunch meetings but it turns out that the staff often eats together under other circumstances as well.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    SXPvhE7.gif
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Eat the company provided food, just control portions. Make it fit in his macros.
    Once he's been there long enough, perhaps he can pick and choose when to eat the provided food or not. Some workplace cultures really emphasize that sort of group activity and he really does need to be part of the group.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I understand the peer pressure here, but it really isnt on!!
    I would "invent" a food allergy - say that you can't eat such and such as it makes you feel ill. Then take in your own stuff and eat along with your colleagues. I did this successfully for three months away on a legal course where every meal was corporate catering and my "allergy" prevented me from eating carbs and fats. After a few "oohs and ahhs" everyone forgot about it and saved me all the salads!.
    good luck to him.!
  • jareno0919
    jareno0919 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I say he eat what he wants. He shouldn't have to cave into peer pressure and eat something he wouldn't eat normally. Nothing wrong with occasionally eating the "provided food" but if he's trying to be healthy and change his eating habits, say so!
  • Dena0033
    Dena0033 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    He can still eat with the group until he's comfortable enough to bring his own food. I agree, make lunch your main meal, but you can still eat Popeyes. Take the skin off. Don't eat a biscuit. Eat 1/2 the amount of mashed potatoes and twice the vegetables providing they're not soaking in butter.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

It sucks but I have to agree with this. I worked at a company like this right out of grad school and there's no way I would've tried to eat my own food during these catered lunches.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I understand the peer pressure here, but it really isnt on!!
    I would "invent" a food allergy - say that you can't eat such and such as it makes you feel ill. Then take in your own stuff and eat along with your colleagues. I did this successfully for three months away on a legal course where every meal was corporate catering and my "allergy" prevented me from eating carbs and fats. After a few "oohs and ahhs" everyone forgot about it and saved me all the salads!.
    good luck to him.!

And if his grown up colleagues found out that he would rather lie to them about allergies instead of manning up and just saying he'd rather bring his own lunch...

well, that would reflect wonderfully on his integrity.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing they didn't order sandwiches. How would he get the crust off all by himself?
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My thought is that if they're having Popeye's; own lunch should be fine. If it's truly catered and formal with a client, make wise choices from what's being served. Also, it's entirely appropriate for him to ask his HR contact or the person who hired him what protocol is and how to know which days a packed lunch is ok and which days it isn't. HR people should absolutely be able to help him navigate this issue successfully, and will likely appreciate the fact that he is savvy enough to know that there are etiquette norms, and humble enough realize he's still learning what they are in his new environment. The worst mistake a person can make at a new job is assuming and not clarifying.