Is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Im at the point to where, im seriously asking myself if eating right, exercise, and all that is really worth the benefit. At this point, I would honestly say no, its not. I dont feel any better. In fact, I feel worse. I cant eat what I would like to, and I hate exercising. I feel like im the only person in the world who does not enjoy going to the gym, and who does not enjoy eating healthy stuff. Im really questioning if this is for me or not. Like I said, I dont feel any better trying to be "healthier".

The "results" ive seen so far a small and in my opinion, not worth all that ive given (or given up) to get them. A few pounds.....in exchange for weeks and weeks of not eating what I would like to, not drinking what I would like to, and having to drag myself to the gym everyday......simply does not seem worth it to me.

I hate exercise. I hate going to the gym. Having to see all these people who are in shape. Even having to see all the people who are not in shape, but who has this positive attitude and blah blah blah. It makes me feel horrible. I hate being on the treadmill, sweating like a pig. I sweat alot. While other people leave the gym and feel good, I leave the gym and feel horrible. I cant wait to leave and go home. It is simply mentally degrading and I hate it, even if im there by myself. I feel stupid.

I hate how everybody else seems to LOVE making all these "positive" changes and all. How it all works for them. Honestly, im sick of hearing about everyones positive this that and the next. Spare me your success story.

Awww...Bad day.

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether the OP was a troll or truly someone discouraged and in need of...(well since they did not want "positivity" and success stories, I really haven't a clue)...something...maybe an *kitten* kicking to get motivated to do something about their health...I don't know...Too bad they deactivated their account, because they will never know how freaking awesome you all are.

Even though I've recently become re-motivated to reach my fitness goals and I tend to be a really positive-thinking person anyway, it was AWESOME to read all of the positive and encouraging (and funny and creative) posts here.:flowerforyou:

Thank you.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if the OP is a troll or not, but seems he's nicked off now...

Seems crazy that people think they HAVE to be a healthy weight and fit. You don't. It's a choice. For me, being fit and healthy feels better. I have less health issues and I know I'm going to be around longer for my kids. I look better, too. But there have been times in my life when I was actually OK with eating too much of the wrong things and being overweight. If you want to make that choice then feel free...but just be aware of the potential consequences associated with it.

As for exercise, I never force myself to do stuff I hate. If I feel like running, I run. Some days it's just a walk. I hate the gym so do all my weights at home and use a TRX. Swimming and cycling are great if you want low impact. Some people prefer dance classes, or hiking, or a stroll on the beach. Pick something that a) involves moving and b) you actually enjoy.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just had myself a yummy Fiber One cookie. I'm also making bread right now. Yep...bread. Multi grain of course. Loaded with carbs though. I eat spaghetti and i hate veggies. So, I sneak them into my diet. Working out is a total pain in the beginning. But, with the right mind set, it can be fun. Joining a challenge group is a great motivation.
    You don't have to give up everything. Learn to eat smaller meals. And eat healthier forms of junk food like my Fiber One cookie. Or a nice apple with peanut butter. As you see results you are more likely to start eating more healthy. I've been down that road. Now, after a baby I'm going down it again. I'm still at the stage before having a fun workout. But, I know I will get there. Hang in there and start thinking positive.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Im at the point to where, im seriously asking myself if eating right, exercise, and all that is really worth the benefit. At this point, I would honestly say no, its not. I dont feel any better. In fact, I feel worse. I cant eat what I would like to, and I hate exercising. I feel like im the only person in the world who does not enjoy going to the gym, and who does not enjoy eating healthy stuff. Im really questioning if this is for me or not. Like I said, I dont feel any better trying to be "healthier".

blah blah blah

Look, dude, if you're here, you know you need to shift some fat. The only way you're going to do that is by expending more energy than you consume. You could try and do it the hard way by having the lowest amount of calories and sitting on the couch watching cooking shows and grumbling every time another advert for pizza, chocolate or ice cream comes on - or you can get your butt up and out of the place and moving.

If you get moving, whether it be by going to the gym, walking round the block, swimming, kickboxing, cycling, tennis, dancing or extreme macrame, it doesn't really matter - not only does it improve your strength/cardio fitness, but it makes you look better, tighter rather than flabby. And the additional energy expended means you can come home and have something you would really like but doesn't ordinarily fit into the lower calorie level from doing nothing - in my case, that could involve pesto pasta salad, beer, chocolate, ice cream or Dwayne Johnson. OK, the last one may or may not be completely untrue and just wishful thinking.

At some point, you might get the chilled, peaceful, easy feeling from exercise I do. I don't get the 'ohhhhhhhh I feeeeeeeeeeeeeel gooooooooooooooood' one other people do, but I'm quite contented to look like a stoner as I leave the gym.

TL; DL - if you've got to do it anyway, look on the advantages of exercising. And stop watching TV. It just makes you hungrier.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    OP has deactivated his account

:laugh: That's awesome.

i am the only crabapple allowed around here anyway

This is true, all the cranks belong to Crankstr. Is not okay for an upstart to come in and grump all over her hard won territory.

Oh, and Cranstr:heart::love: :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    RFEyBsl.gif

am i weird for being really turned on by this? i mean, weirder than usual?

Only if you are *kitten* your own with that motion in synchronisation with the gif.

i plead the 5th
  • EOHerrera
    EOHerrera Posts: 45
    Options
    Ignore the rude ones!

If you don't like the gym then take up walking. It costs nothing and is mentally refereshing. You can wear what YOU want and not have to buy gym stuff etc.

Mentally how are you feeling. If not in a good space then I really urge you to talk to someone!

Hang in there!!! Only one step at a time....

Anne

^^^ THIS!! The gym is not for everyone! I had joined Curves years ago and it took a while, but eventually I got to know some of the ladies better who regularly went the same time & days that I did and I began to look forward to the socialization I found among them. Then I joined another ladies fitness club and I loved it even more because it had some cardio equipment that was not available at Curves. A year or so after that, it closed, as well as Curves. A month later a new ladies-only gym opened - and I hated it! The atmosphere was not what I had been used to and I began to feel like you - I hated going - and so I didn't. Just because one gym is not a good "fit" for you doesn't mean you can't find one that you could come to enjoy and actually find yourself looking forward to going. Try another one - or two - and see if it was just the atmosphere.

As for the foods, I haven't really given up anything - although I don't eat as much of a lot of it as I used to or maybe would like to - and then other foods I still eat way more of than I should - but I've still lost a few pounds since January - although not nearly as much as I would like to have lost by now either.

It's a very personal journey. And just like all gyms aren't for all people, all diets and diet websites are not for all people either. Try a different one and see if it's more to your lifestyle. Keep trying new things until you find what is a good fit for you!

AND DO NOT LET ALL THE RUDE NEGATIVE PEOPLE ON HERE DISCOURAGE YOU! SHAME ON THEM for adding insult to injury!
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I also love the idea of not working for a living and writing all of the checks I want to and sleeping with anyone who appeals to me and driving at a speed that I think works for me. I really am a good driver, no matter how fast I go. I follow the rules to some extent because it's the cost of being alive. I don't want to jab a needle in my arm so I can have enough insulin to get through the day and I don't want to have to shop waaaay at the end of the rack in the ridiculous tenty dess area and I don't want my knee to make that creaky sound that it does when I go up stairs. So I treat my body with a little more respect these days. I walk the damn dog. I eat another tomato because I like tomatoes. I smile when it's one pound down, or when it's what it was yesterday, because yesterday was better than December was. Is it worth it? Yes. And if I whine when I can't eat what I want (OK, I can eat what I want but I can't make excuses for it because mfp is amazingly easy for me to stick with) then it's temporary. Or the weight and the bad health and the shortened lifespan are permanent.
  • MissMissyMiss
    Options
    Wow i can not believe that this is supposed to be a website of support and motivation and 90% of the response's are so rude, what is wrong with you people? If you guys really feel better about yourself knocking down someone that was simply being honest and just looking to vent and possible find some advice then i am really sorry for you.... having said that I feel the same way most days, baby steps, a short walk around around a few blocks, better alternatives to your food cravings, it does slowly get easier. You don't need to do it all in one day, whatever it is that makes you happy. "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wow i can not believe that this is supposed to be a website of support and motivation and 90% of the response's are so rude, what is wrong with you people? If you guys really feel better about yourself knocking down someone that was simply being honest and just looking to vent and possible find some advice then i am really sorry for you.... having said that I feel the same way most days, baby steps, a short walk around around a few blocks, better alternatives to your food cravings, it does slowly get easier. You don't need to do it all in one day, whatever it is that makes you happy. "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle.

Are you the OP on another account?

Seriously. I am completely baffled, yet again, about the segment of MFP that views any response (specifically: response) that disagrees with, calls out, or is just plain blunt as rude, etc... even when the OP in question was outrightly hostile and offensive.

I swear, people like you would call someone rude for disagreeing with Hitler, just because they were disagreeing with an OP. (BOOM: Godwin's Law).
  • DavPul
    Options

what are you talking about? the OP expressly said that all positive messages put him in a bad mood so we complied and gave him what he wanted. he probably deactivated with tears of joy streaming from his eyes.

why are you so mean that you would deny the OP the negativity that he so craved?

hitler: /thread
  • firstsip
    Options

what are you talking about? the OP expressly said that all positive messages put him in a bad mood so we complied and gave him what he wanted. he probably deactivated with tears of joy streaming from his eyes.

why are you so mean that you would deny the OP the negativity that he so craved?

:angry:
  • DavPul
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    Options

:flowerforyou:

:blushing:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for joining.

hZeTrOD.gif

LMFAO!
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    I'm sorry to see they left :( I hope they are still reading. I don't use the fitness part at all, I just wanted to find a way to support my lifestyle, as a healthier thinner me, without changing my routine. I hate the gym and would sooner die at 60 than go, but I'm finding a lot of success in just caloric restriction alone.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Sounds to me that eating healthy, exercising is not the problem. ATTITUDE is the problem. I would suggest you see a councilor first to figure out what is “worth it”. Obviously you do not think you are “worth it” or the people that you love are “worth it” Frankly you do not have to give up the foods you love. You just need to learn to use them in moderation and what foods are triggers. Me it is potato chips. So I purchase them in the individual package so I do not eat the “family” size bag.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wow people are being really negative. Okay. I haven't lost nearly as much weight as I'd like to by now. I've lost about 40ish lbs in the past year, which is great, but I was hoping to have lost at least 20 lbs more by now. I was hoping to be a solid size 10 or less by now. I was embarrassed to be in my swimsuit, embarrassed to be on a bike, embarrassed to be in the gym, etc. I was pretty much exactly like you about 10 months ago

Guess what? I stuck with it. When I hit a 6 month plateau (I lost about 5 lbs between August and March), I stuck with it. I tried new things. I frequented the success stories board. I asked the other boards for advice. I dealt with the condescending *kitten*. I reflected on how much better PHYSICALLY I felt, how much more CONFIDENT I felt, etc.

Now I still have another 20 lbs before I'm quite where I want to be. I still would rather go home after work than go to the gym. I still would rather eat a 5 dollar foot long than a protein shake over kashi. I still would like to have 10 beers instead of 2 as a treat at the end of the week. Sometimes I screw up and do have 10 beers or a 5 dollar foot long. Then I forgive myself and do better next time.

I hope you took befores because comparing them with how you look now will probably show you a difference (like I said I barely lost10 lbs between August and now, but I scrounged to find a picture for comparison (I wouldn't let people take pictures of me then). It was a HUGE difference. Keep at it, its worth it.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am likewise very surprised by people's posts...you can't empathize even a little with this type of feeling? I certainly can, and I'm now very concerned about others who will read the OP and feel totally alienated by the responses.

If OP hadn't deactivated in response to borderline bullying and cruelty, I would have told them: this is so difficult. Quite frankly, maybe it isn't worth it to you. People operate economically- you will choose the behavior that maximizes your short term happiness. I just ask you to consider the long term, specifically your health. The deprivation you are describing is not normal even for dieting, try using some resources here to recalculate your calories because you likely can be having more than you think if you are truly feeling so deprived. That should hopefully make it easier. And forget the gym if you hate it! I'd be lying if I said I haven't been in a bad mood one day and scowled at a teeny tiny skinny mini girl bouncing around on the elliptical while chatting on her phone and reading magazines and wanted to smack her with my big chubby fingers!! Anyone who says they've never been jealous is either lying or has crazy enviable amounts of self esteem. If you can't stand the gym work out at home and find something you like- walking, a game, etc.

Ultimately, I think the positivity wouldn't bother you so much if you weren't envious deep down. You sound bitter, and bitterness is the very natural response to being hard on yourself. If like many of us you've been overweight for a long time that self hatred can be ingrained. Don't let anyone on here bully you into giving up. You posted to ask for motivation and support and that's what you deserve. Sometimes it is really really really really hard, and that's okay. It's normal. So vent, let it out in the post, and now reset. Add a few calories back, try a new workout, try to adjust your mindset.

Good luck and if you read this, I hope you come back. There are good, compassionate people here who have helped me when I've felt low, and the counter is a great useful tool.