Your fave stupid food myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• gcirongirl
    gcirongirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    An Egg McMuffin Sandwich every morning helps control diabetes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating below your BMR will cause weight gain.

ETA: AND Tea and coffee will dehydrate you.
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Humans aren't designed to drink milk. Basically, any story that says humans aren't designed to eat whatever humans are currently eating.

WOW...this completely ignores the fact that human drink NOTHING but milk for the first part of their lives

Hmm, I think there's some truth to this one though! Apart from human breast milk, of course.

The book "Skinny *****" breaks this whole milk thing down for you. While I find it interesting, at this point I just don't know what to believe anymore. In fact, the book is very interesting, but WAY OVER THE TOP! They say humans aren't made to eat meat. No milk, no meat...I'm screwed!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    - Don't eat after 8 pm.
    - Eating citrus after cheating will help you purge calories.
    - Dairy is bad.
    - Eggs are bad.
    - Carbs are bad.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

i know with 2 year olds who feed their kids chips and anything else that goes in the fryer/oven yet those kids parents never get told your childs going to die ... because they look healthy the effects of their diet will only become apparent in 20 years when they join mfp lol

YES YES YES. We aren't vegan but my kids are considered "less healthy" because we don't vaccinate. The school says if there is a measles outbreak my kid (who eats fruit, veggies, grass fed pastured animals and takes fish oil as dessert) drinks WATER has an at risk immune system. Not the kids who eat fruit gushers, goldfish and wonderbread and wash it down with Oasis. Ugh.
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had a friend passionately argue with me that if a soda was caffeine free it was also calorie free. Therefore, since he was drinking a caffeine free REAL Coke it had no calories.

This cracks me up. Did he not read the back of the can where it says 97 calories. :laugh:
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I had a friend passionately argue with me that if a soda was caffeine free it was also calorie free. Therefore, since he was drinking a caffeine free REAL Coke it had no calories.

This cracks me up. Did he not read the back of the can where it says 97 calories. :laugh:

97cals? The can I just put down says 160!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Eating fish and milk together is likely to kill you (thanks mom)
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    if you eat too much cheese your penis will fall off

Is that what happened? I've always wondered.....

I know I have some pecorino and two baby bel when mine used to be
  • racheal9
    racheal9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

i know with 2 year olds who feed their kids chips and anything else that goes in the fryer/oven yet those kids parents never get told your childs going to die ... because they look healthy the effects of their diet will only become apparent in 20 years when they join mfp lol

YES YES YES. We aren't vegan but my kids are considered "less healthy" because we don't vaccinate. The school says if there is a measles outbreak my kid (who eats fruit, veggies, grass fed pastured animals and takes fish oil as dessert) drinks WATER has an at risk immune system. Not the kids who eat fruit gushers, goldfish and wonderbread and wash it down with Oasis. Ugh.

Well, the point of vaccination is to present an antigen to the body so that it can synthesize antibodies against the antigen so that if presented with the actual disease the body can handle it rapidly. I understand that a healthy child is less likely to get sick, but vaccines are there to make sure the body is prepared.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/howvpd.htm
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/Supplement_1/S92.long
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/125/6/1295.long
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1300765
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2526159/

Sorry, I'm in med school and we have a lot of discussions about the risk/benefits of vaccinating so I get a little excited...

I'm certain your kids are very healthy, it's awesome to see parents like you actually feeding your kids stuff that will help them grow and teaching them good habits. They will benefit greatly from it :) I just also think that vaccinations are good because measles is terrible.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet!!!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's not so hard..I am vegan and there are faboulous foods out there to enjoy which are mcuh healthier :) PM me if you need any tips or advice :)
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    you can eat all the pizza, pop tarts, ice cream and mcdonalds you want IIFYM

:drinker: I was going to say something along the same lines. :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    FWIW I learned couple of new things here today, for which I'm grateful (I genuinely thought eggs are to be avoided, for example, due to cholesterol issues)

One egg a day is healthy: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/good-eggs-for-nutrition-theyre-hard-to-beat
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend thought that energy drinks didn't contain calories.

*ENERGY* drinks, man what do you think? :laugh:

Powerade do a zero calorie sports drink!!

/scratches head

Only takes a half decent marketing department and a fully uneducated target market to get away with tht one. :)

It's actually recommended for when your kid has a fever or is throwing up.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    "glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

Glucose IS toxic, but it's entirely context dependent. A normal person doesn't usually have this problem, but type 1 diabetics have to deal with it everyday. Hyperglycemia is extremely dangerous due to them because it's acidic.

That does not mean its toxic. Come on.

;) sure it does... Just like water is.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    "gorillas get enough protein from eating only vegetable foods" - a) gorillas have the smallest brain size compared to body size of all the great apes and b) gorillas eat insects, which is animal protein. There are no vegetarian great apes, they're all omnivores. If our ancestors hadn't eaten animal products, we wouldn't be here having this conversation, we'd be living in trees eating fruit and leaves all day long in order to get enough energy to feed our very tiny brains. I have nothing against the vegan diet.... just don't try to claim that's what we evolved for!!!

THANK YOU.

So many people forget that if we had not learned how to get to the marrow in animal bones and eat red meat, we wouldn't have our big fancy brains that allow us to rationalize things like "I think killing animals is inhumane. I don't want to eat them anymore." Once again, not dissing the vegan or vegetarian thing, but just pointing out facts here.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Only if you throw it at him
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend thought that energy drinks didn't contain calories.

*ENERGY* drinks, man what do you think? :laugh:

Powerade do a zero calorie sports drink!!

/scratches head

Only takes a half decent marketing department and a fully uneducated target market to get away with tht one. :)

It's actually recommended for when your kid has a fever or is throwing up.

Throwing up = need for hydration + anti nausea. Most over the counter anti-nausea meds are basically sugar water or syrup (cola syrup, for example). So, I guess makes sense PowerAde would be used