My GREEK Yogurt RANT!!! Please read this

Options

Replies

• deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump ...Thanks for sharing ! I just picked up a Chobani plain yogurt and was wondering what to do with it LOL... Great ideas !
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I was also shocked at the amount of sugar in all kinds of yogurt. I am diabetic and only buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fruit and Stevia too.

I'm not diabetic, but I was looking at yogurts one day, and you know they're as bad as candy.

Personally, if I'm going to eat yogurt, it's going to be the real stuff. Fage or GTFO. ;)

(Granted, I also make my own.) With a little practice, it's easy to fall in love with plain greek yogurt, and only add a few berries.
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    o: I never thought of flavouring plain yogurt with Mio! You're a freakin' genius! Totally doing this from now on!
  • vincen71
    vincen71 Posts: 2
    Options
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    O... um...thanks?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your whole post because it was really long...but...I buy plain fat free greek yogurt and add my own fresh or frozen (no sugar added) fruit.
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    I mostly only buy plain yogurt. Hell, I make my own at home, and strain it myself to make Greek yogurt. I do add a squeeze of raw honey or agave to it... or sometimes just a handful of granola... but as someone else said, everyone's diet is different.

Yoplait lite when it's on sale... and my kids like it.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your "RANT" I'm better informed! Thanks for the Info :happy: :smile:
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was just curious so I came to read this... couldn't help but notice the Chobani ad on the side...
  • meeper123
    Options
    I cant eat much yogart but I do make my own salad dressing not only is it better for you its cheaper! Also love making my own hummus <3
  • krisfosgate
    krisfosgate Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not just yogurt, but all foods, I was not aware how much sugar was just in natural foods, like fruit. This tool has really helped give me a better guideline on my eating. I think it's a balance of everything, not just the calories and fat.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Not just yogurt, but all foods, I was not aware how much sugar was just in natural foods, like fruit. This tool has really helped give me a better guideline on my eating. I think it's a balance of everything, not just the calories and fat.

Yeah but not all sugars are created equal did you know your body will actually treat the sugar from a candy bar diffrently than say an apple? ( not saying go eat 10 apples but eating an apple is not the same as candy or added sugar)
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    But what you are talking about is not even real Greek yogurt. It's just some supermarket imitation of it. If anything, Greek yogurt is so sour and plain you actually need honey in it to give it a sugary kick.

The sort of stuff you are talking about should really be labelled "Greek Style" yogurt.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am also a diabetic. I count my carbohydrates for each meal. When I want some of the flavored Greek Yorgurt I will usually get some of the hundred calorie containers and fit it into my plan. I do not agree that sugar is sugar. Some sugars are much higher on the glycemic index than others and will make your blood sugar spike faster. I have never counted my sugar, only carbs. I am not aware of any sugar counting plans. The only ones I am aware of are carb counting which is the most common now and the other is the diabetic exchange diet. Apparently there is also now a create a plate plan for quick and easy. I am willing to learn if there is more information.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

This is why this post is ridiculous. The amount of sugar in plain greek yogurt is not detrimental to most people and neither is the sugar in fruit. OPs if your doctor doesn't want you to eat plain greek yogurt then so be it, but it is a great high protein food for most people and fruit is good as well.
  • I buy plain and add what I want to it -
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Agreed. My husband informed me about this a few years ago, so I make sure I only eat PLAIN greek yogurt. The sugar added to the flavored yogurts are higher on the gycemic index. I'm glad someone posted this and I hope it helps someone :)
    However, I think the sugar in fruit is fine... as long as (like most foods) they are eaten in moderation.
  • peachfigs
    Options

This is why this post is ridiculous. The amount of sugar in plain greek yogurt is not detrimental to most people and neither is the sugar in fruit. OPs if your doctor doesn't want you to eat plain greek yogurt then so be it, but it is a great high protein food for most people and fruit is good as well.

I agree with OP that sugar can be detrimental to your health, but the so called "Greek yogurt" she is citing is not Greek yogurt.
  • treeniemarie
    treeniemarie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Interesting rant
  • peachfigs
    Options
    AUTHENTIC, traditional Greek yogurt has been strained, contains good fats and gut bacteria. It does NOT contain sugary fruit puree, flavourings, high fructose corn syrup, etc. Greek yogurt is plain and tastes that way.

The following are commonly called "Greek yogurt" but they are just Greek style, and do not taste anywhere near as good as the real thing:

chobani-pomegranate.jpg

Dannon-Oikos-Greek-Yogurt.jpg