Any way to lose fat on legs but NOT gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    General weight loss is key. Whilst losing, walking is good for gentle toning. Slower, long-distance running (rather than short but fast) is good for long and lean muscles, as is yoga. Stretch well and often. I wouldn't rule out squats as these will define your thigh muscles rather than build them, making them look slimmer as a result- just don't add weight when squatting.

gentle toning?? thats a new one.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Walking on a diet will not build muscle.

You can't spot reduce fat.

Muscle is GOOD.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    all the squats and lunges and jumping. while eating at a deficit.

you might not think you want any muscle but you do.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway:
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I made my muscles too long and this happened

pGZwr3L.gif
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Why would you want that? That's a recipe for saggy skin and loose looking legs?
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

pGZwr3L.gif

I am fascinated,yet disturbed. Ohmy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    General weight loss is key. Whilst losing, walking is good for gentle toning. Slower, long-distance running (rather than short but fast) is good for long and lean muscles, as is yoga. Stretch well and often. I wouldn't rule out squats as these will define your thigh muscles rather than build them, making them look slimmer as a result- just don't add weight when squatting.

This is sheer nonsense; you can't make your muscles "longer" since they are attached to your BONES! Also, lean muscles are a product of lowering bodyfat and NOT "slower, long distance running" which is the most inefficient way to get leaner. HIIT cadio training is short, sweet and clearly superior; the research has been in for quite a while. This ain't the 80's.

I've been hearing this lately - that yoga makes your legs longer. NO. Just no. It's called GENETICS peeps. Science FTW.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for rough toning.

Wait, what?

Sorry. Wrong thread.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    In...

...for rough toning.

Wait, what?

Sorry. Wrong thread.

I'm with this guy.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Running kept my legs thin, then I switched to cycling which added muscle, as a runner I was called chicken legs.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

pGZwr3L.gif

Am I the only one that finds this mildly terrifying?
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    why do people feel the need to be such *kitten*? obviously there's no way to lengthen muscles but i have heard that stretching, yoga, etc can make them appear more toned and "longer" looking but jesus chill out. i understand wanting to trim leg muscles down. not everyone wants big strong legs that certain sports and workouts can create. cracking jokes at others' expense is just stupid. whether its just not written properly or an uneducated response, i hate seeing people get attacked.

someone please, come back and post something obnoxious about this post now.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    why do people feel the need to be such *kitten*? obviously there's no way to lengthen muscles but i have heard that stretching, yoga, etc can make them appear more toned and "longer" looking but jesus chill out. i understand wanting to trim leg muscles down. not everyone wants big strong legs that certain sports and workouts can create. cracking jokes at others' expense is just stupid. whether its just not written properly or an uneducated response, i hate seeing people get attacked.

You asked...

I'm kidding, but seriously...no workout is going to increase muscle mass, which is what she's concerned with...as long as she's eating on a calorie deficit. No sport either. I understand that some people inject a large amount of sarcasm while saying this...but that's something you have to deal with on the internet. The message is no less valid for it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I think you should make your own post to have people do this instead of hijacking the OP's thread to fight with people because yoga doesn't make legs longer. Just saying. :flowerforyou:
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    There's obviously no way to actually lengthen them, its supposed to create the perception maybe? I didn't come up with it, the ridiculous magazines that plaster yoga throughout them make that claim.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You should want to strengthen the muscle in your legs. If you have a lot of subcutaneous fat on your thighs, chances are that you also have a lot of intramuscular fat as well. A lot of women think they have muscular legs when what they have is a lot of intramuscular fat. Walking isn't going to do anything to get rid of intramuscular fat. High intensity intervals and strength training do that.

Strength training while eating at a minimal to moderate deficit will help you in this regard. Yes, you need to burn fat overall, but strengthen those underlying muscles, and you'll get better results.

I lost 2 inches on my thighs eating at a slight surplus while "gaining" muscle mass. (In quotes because obviously I gained muscle, but I didn't gain inches in my thighs, just stronger, harder muscle with less intramuscular fat.) I also dropped a pants size while gaining 8 pounds.

If this is what you're wanting to do, then you might want to get busy doing intervals and/or lifting heavy stuff while eating at a slight deficit.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the comments but you could always get horribly injured and lose the use of your legs, relegating you to a wheelchair for life. Eat a deficit and not only will you slim down, your leg muscles will atrophy into little twigs...

Or...

You could be grateful for the able body you have been given and treat it well by working to get healthy by eating well and exercising regularly and appreciating the amazing things that having a strong (regardless of muscle size) body enables you to do.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One way ... liposuction
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Is there any exercise that I could do to lose the fat on my legs but NOT gain muscle? Walking is my main exercise and I know that has alot to do with it. But my legs are not getting any smaller. They are just getting tighter from gaining muscle. Just wondering if someone knows what I could do dfferently. Thanks! :smile:
    Sorry but walking is an every day thing, so if that was the case your legs (and others) should be bursting from muscle. As as you're losing weight, then that means the resistance is less, so there's NO WAY you're building muscle if that's happening. Muscle is built from progressive overload.
    Your genetics is what's causing weight loss from other places first and not your legs. Just continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition