Your fave stupid food myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    well....human's are designed to drink HUMAN milk for the first portion of their lives. Technically, those who say humans aren't designed to drink cows (or goats or whatever) aren't WRONG...but no...drinking it won't harm you (unless you have an intolerance or allergy)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    well....human's are designed to drink HUMAN milk for the first portion of their lives. Technically, those who say humans aren't designed to drink cows (or goats or whatever) aren't WRONG...but no...drinking it won't harm you (unless you have an intolerance or allergy)

human's weren't designed to eat crap out of a box or hormone pesticide injected food too. Heck there's people that eat foam out of couch cushions, not good for you, but we all eat things that aren't 100% good for us.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Going through all these different threads seriously makes me feel like my brain is going to pop! it is all conflicting and confusing, i feel like giving up lol i think i have been reading too much about trying to lose weight lately that i need to take a break. if i could afford it i would just get a personal trainer and not have to wonder about who on the internet is correct!

Hate to break it to you...but a large percentage of personal trainers out there are just as confused as you are lol. Same goes for nutritionists...doctors...dieticians...

An education received is only as good as the facts you were educated with.
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day

And 6, i think that is just a matter of choice. I like small meals because i feel less hungry throughout the day....and it prevents insulin spikes...

What is so horrible about insulin spikes?

I bet my averaged daily insulin level is much, much lower than yours, and I eat a 3000cal diet lol.

(For the record, I agree with it being a matter of choice where weight loss is concerned.)

:)
    We aren't vegan but my kids are considered "less healthy" because we don't vaccinate. The school says if there is a measles outbreak my kid (who eats fruit, veggies, grass fed pastured animals and takes fish oil as dessert) drinks WATER has an at risk immune system. Not the kids who eat fruit gushers, goldfish and wonderbread and wash it down with Oasis. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure that historic native Americans ate a pretty healthy diet full of fruit, veggies, grass fed animals, and fish as well. You might do some research on how they handled measles...then check back in with us on what you found.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that historic native Americans ate a pretty healthy diet full of fruit, veggies, grass fed animals, and fish as well. You might do some research on how they handled measles...then check back in with us on what you found.

I've researched measles and other vpd's in the pink book, published by the CDC. I also read MMRW regularly. I'm confident about my decision but thanks for the suggestion :)
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Celery is an aphrodisiac.
    Carbs are evil.
    If I eat more than 1200 calories a day, regardless of exercise, I will get fat.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Coworkers (whom I generally respect) whispering that I was on steroids when they saw my tub of creatine.

To their defense, I had taped over the label with masking tape and relabelled it Hyper Steroids.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that swears tofu feminizes men and gives men boobs. wth? BTW my big brother was vegetarian (we lived on tofu) from birth to about age 25 and is very masculine.

soy has been reported to do this. that may be why you've heard it. haven't researched it fully to know whether its true or false, mostly because we don't like tofu anyways. ew!

You'd have to do research to know that's false??
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Tofu tastes really good

I was dared to try it and it was totally gross

Can personal taste preferences count as a "myth"?
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Tofu tastes really good

I was dared to try it and it was totally gross

Tofu, to me, really doesn't taste like anything. However it is fabulous at picking up other flavors. So if prepared properly it will add protein while complementing the flavor of whatever it's in. But yeah, by itself, not happening.
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes, and one I hear regularly is that cinnamon will cure my diabetes and/or that eating anything will cure my diabetes. Um, last I checked, no matter how much cinnamon (or anything else I eat) my pancreas will still be broken. Because, you know, I'd choose to live with this disease for the rest of my life if it was simple to "cure" as just eating one magic food.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The ones I that I have heard people say in real life are:

You must eat breakfast to start your metabolism
    You can't eat after 7 pm
    Potatoes are bad for you
    Wheat bread is worse for you than white because it has more ingredients (seriously, my step mom told me this last week :huh: )

And my favorite is that list of "negative calorie" foods that circulates around. I can maybe buy the celery and iceburg lettuce as being almost zero, not negative, but there is sugary fruit on that list. Come on people :laugh:

It is frustrating when the people I know have grown up believing these myths and restrict themselves unnecessarily. I try to educate them but they need to be willing to listen. To each their own I guess :wink:
  • zoefisher2785
    Options
    Your skin absorbs fat :laugh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes, and one I hear regularly is that cinnamon will cure my diabetes and/or that eating anything will cure my diabetes. Um, last I checked, no matter how much cinnamon (or anything else I eat) my pancreas will still be broken. Because, you know, I'd choose to live with this disease for the rest of my life if it was simple to "cure" as just eating one magic food.

Sadly, this illustrates the fact that most people lump all diabetes together and don't understand the difference between the two types. My mom (also a Type 1) gets that a lot too.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    That organic junk food is healthy.

My sister swears that organic cookies are sugar free, caffeine free and chock full of healthy vitamins and minerals. She stuffs her kids with them because its a health food!

Or that nutella is healthy because its made with hazelnuts. Don't get me started on this one....putting nutella on toast in the morning is like melting a chocolate hazelnut candy bar and smearing it on your toast. Yummy....but NOT healthy.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Anything that you eat after 8pm will turn into fat.

UGHHH......I HATE this one.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that swears tofu feminizes men and gives men boobs. wth? BTW my big brother was vegetarian (we lived on tofu) from birth to about age 25 and is very masculine.

soy has been reported to do this. that may be why you've heard it. haven't researched it fully to know whether its true or false, mostly because we don't like tofu anyways. ew!

It doesn't give men boobs... It's thought to raise estrogen levels.

Soy is also mostly genetically engineered now. That's why I steer clear.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian diet will cure or prevent cancer.

My mom was a vegetarian her whole life; she never ate meat after age 15. Guess what she died from.
  • sweetisthoni
    sweetisthoni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinking cold water with your meals make the fat in the meal solidify.....
  • bcattoes
    Options

It doesn't give men boobs... It's thought to raise estrogen levels.

Soy is also mostly genetically engineered now. That's why I steer clear.

Soy foods like soy milk, tofu, tempeh, edamame, etc. are rarely (if every) GMO. It's usually soy based food additives that are GMO. Processed foods that do not say "soy" on the label are your big sources of GMO soy.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    A vegetarian diet will cure or prevent cancer.

My mom was a vegetarian her whole life; she never ate meat after age 15. Guess what she died from.

Maybe they are refering to the macrobiotic diet, which is sometimes called the "anti-cancer" diet because many people claim to have cured cancer from eating it. It is a vegan diet, but it's a very specific diet.