800cals

Options

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    First: I'm a Zumba Instructor, a fitness instructor, a personal trainer, and a weight-lifter.

I was teaching Zumba 4 days/week for an hour each session for 10 months and yes, I did lose weight, but I wasn't happy with my results. I hired myself a personal trainer (before I became one) and got into lifting weights and eating clean.

I saw better results after just SIX WEEKS of eating clean and lifting weights 4-5 days/week for 45 minutes to 1 hour than I did doing Zumba 4-5 hours/week for TEN MONTHS!

Yes, I lost 17 pounds in that 10 months by doing Zumba, but I didn't look much better naked. Just a smaller version of my soft self.

I started lifting weights and eating clean (by clean I mean no pre-packaged processed stuff). I didn't drop nearly the same amount of weight, but I lost more in inches, I've solidified those "soft spots" and I had more energy, stamina, strength and confidence.

I'm not saying you SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do something...I'm telling you what works for me and what I do recommend to anyone that comes to me asking for advice.

#1 - I drink a gallon of water daily
    #2 - I try to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight daily.
    #3 - I use resistance training to strengthen muscles (the more lean muscle you have the more calories your body burns at rest).

I realized that I am MORE than just the number on a scale - I hope that you can learn to appreciate that in yourself as well.

I love this.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I burned about 800 calories doing "game day+overitme" asylum workout.. I and not overweight in any way... the more muscle you have them more calroies you are going to burn since your engaging all those lovely muscles..
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    how-to-burn-calories_zpsbe4e6f08.jpg
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Insanity burns crazy calories.

I usually burn no more than 400 per workout. And I'm 191 lbs
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Running/Power Walking at a 12mph pace (or faster) for five miles and 30 minutes of power yoga will take about 90 minutes and burn right around 800 calories. I do both every morning (I don't take rest days, on weekends I increase my distance to 10 miles)--great way to start the day.

The yoga will tone your arms and abs, and the run/walk will tone the butt and legs.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn ~800 calories in 1-1.5 hours, I'd recommend: boxing, kick-boxing, or an intense martial arts class. Works for me.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    how-to-burn-calories_zpsbe4e6f08.jpg

*sorry, off topic

LMAO I've done that before. . . :-/ My boyfriend left his left over pizza in the oven without telling me, and started it on preheat for dinner.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    For the record I think you're crazy, but depending on your weight I've seen people put up those numbers doing spin class, zumba, and kettlebells.

True, but we should also remember that the MFP calorie estimates are notoriously noted to be high. I agree with whoever suggested a good HRM.
    But also the person who said to think about your goals. I'm a huge fan of lifting and kettlebells. Building muscle will help to increase your metabolism so you'll burn even more at rest.

It really has to do with effort. MFP calories are quite low for me, based on my calibrated Polar HRM.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I have a specific goal in mind, it doesn't have to be met but I wanna try my best to hit it.

At the moment I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and do a few classes too, what I am hoping to do is up this to 5-6 times a week (mornings mainly) and burn around 800cal within 1-1.5 hours.

Does anyone have a current routine which enables this sort of number, I am open to all methods.

(disclaimer) I am going to be eating plenty of calories so no comments on 'over doing it', 'too much too soon' 'taking it slow' please.

i burn about 850 calories in 1 hour on the treadmill, at a 15% incline, at 3.8 mph...
  • intriguess
    Options
    You could look for a Title Boxing Gym in your area, or any kickboxing gym. Their workout burns 1000 calories an hour.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    PS - what a shame there are so many negative people who feel the need to judge someone who is working hard towards their own particular goals.

It really is, I don't generally use the forum but im shocked at how many people are just trying to laugh at you rather than be supportive.

If people must know I wish to get to a certain weight for an operation, I could use drastic dietary measures to get to this or I could work my butt of for a couple of months. I ALREADY weight train, I already burn lots of calories but I was asking for peoples plans to maybe switch up my own and get to where I need to be. Most people gave great answers and clearly lots of people are doing what I am going to be doing, those few ruin it and ruin the forum. Just remember that your way is not the only way.

If I don't care about myself then trust me I wouldn't be doing this so please, please keep the smart *kitten* comments to yourself.
  • hammomh
    hammomh Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't actually pay attention to what I burn as not trying to burn lots of calories myself, but from what I know and have read previously the highest burns calorie wise are

zumba, spinning, kettlebells classes, circuits training, running (not just jogging, sprints and jogs)

You could always also try joining a sport, netball/basket ball they burn alot without you really realising too and alot more fun :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Honey, let me make a suggestion.

What some people are trying to say here, and being unnecessarily snarky, sarcastic and unhelpful about it, is that when you ask for advice here, we can't really help you effectively without a bit more information. If your goal is simply to burn X amount of calories and improve cardiac fitness, that's fine, go right ahead. But if you want to lose body fat, you need to do things differently. The optimal fat burning range occurs when your heart rate is between 60-80% of it's recommended maximum (which is based on your age and weight). Higher than that and you're not going to be burning a whole lot of fat. So it is possible to work out really hard, burn tons of calories, and not lose body fat.
    And then if you want to increase muscle mass, lifting weights is the way to go, intense cardio won't help at all. So it really does depend on what your ultimate goal is. I'm really trying to burn fat and add muscle right now, so I do a lot of lower intensity treadmill and elliptical workouts and lift weights.

Just a comment for all those negative people out there. Telling someone they are stupid, crazy or wrong is NOT the most effective way of getting them to listen to your point of view. You are entitled to your opinion, but there are better ways to communicate than slapping someone else in the face.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    PS - what a shame there are so many negative people who feel the need to judge someone who is working hard towards their own particular goals.

It really is, I don't generally use the forum but im shocked at how many people are just trying to laugh at you rather than be supportive.

It isn't negative or judgmental to point out when someone's goal is unrealistic. Wouldn't you rather adjust your expectation now rather than put in all this time and effort on something and then be disappointed when it didn't work? A 2.5 pound per week loss for someone with your amount of weight to lose is not a healthy or reasonable goal.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone needs to stop being so negative!! Geez people let the OP set her own goals and whether they work or not is her problem, not yours.

I started out here with a BMI of 24 which is in the "normal range" not even overweight and I lost 2lbs per week going to boxing 3 days a week and then running or getting on the elliptical for an hour a day 3 days per week and resting one day. I ate back all my calories ending up with a net 1200 per day. It is not impossible for someone who needs to lose 50 rather than my 15 to lose 2.5lbs per week.

Of course there is a chance she may not reach that goal, but back off people and only make a comment if you have something useful to say!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I think that everyone needs to stop being so negative!! Geez people let the OP set her own goals and whether they work or not is her problem, not yours.

I started out here with a BMI of 24 which is in the "normal range" not even overweight and I lost 2lbs per week going to boxing 3 days a week and then running or getting on the elliptical for an hour a day 3 days per week and resting one day. I ate back all my calories ending up with a net 1200 per day. It is not impossible for someone who needs to lose 50 rather than my 15 to lose 2.5lbs per week.

Of course there is a chance she may not reach that goal, but back off people and only make a comment if you have something useful to say!

The OP needs to lose about 30 if her ticker is correct.

We disagree on what is useful. I think it is perfectly useful to point out that what she is attempting is a) not likely to work and b) not healthy. This is a fitness site. Not a cheerleading for all manner of unhealthy schemes to drop weight as quickly as possible.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    And that's why you shouldn't comment on what you don't know, my ticker is one of my goals and nothing to base a whole argument from.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You stated your goal is to lose 2.5 pounds per week for 10 weeks.

Assuming your ticker is correct, then it is highly impossible, and highly unhealthy. But okay, go for it. We'll see you back here asking why it didn't work.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

The OP needs to lose about 30 if her ticker is correct.

We disagree on what is useful. I think it is perfectly useful to point out that what she is attempting is a) not likely to work and b) not healthy. This is a fitness site. Not a cheerleading for all manner of unhealthy schemes to drop weight as quickly as possible.

Nothing I did was unhealthy though. I graduated with a degree in nutrition and I based my diet and exercise schedule on textbook facts. Yes the recommended goal of weight loss is 1lb per week, but 2 to 2 1/2 is not unhealthy.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    Grabs popcorn and waits to see how this linear weight loss approach begins and ends! :laugh: