Please share your favourite quinoa recipes!!

Options

Replies

• HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    YUM! BUMP! NEED QUINOA RECIPES!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not really huge on recipes because I pretty much go in the kitchen and throw things together. I call it concocting lol

But one of my favorites was something like this -

Start with a big pot and heat up a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Sautee grated garlic (however many cloves you like, I usually do 2 or 3) for a couple of minutes (DON'T BURN) then add red pepper flakes and black pepper to fry in the garlic and oil for about a minute before adding chicken stock. Cook 2 cups of quinoa in 4 cups of chicken stock.
    Add veggies....I usually use frozen peas/carrots, corn, broccoli (cooked separately)
    Sometimes I add lentils or beans as well
    Stir in some previously cooked chicken (I like to bake seasoned with cajun seasoning)
    Season to taste (again, I like cajun seasoning)
    I like the chicken Flavor Boosters too, and usually add one to it.

Another variation I did: In a separate saucepan I warmed up a can of cream of chicken soup with chicken stock and added seasonings (cumin, chili powder or cajun seasoning, poultry seasoning, etc......play with it, see what you like). After the quinoa was done I stirred the "sauce" in. With this one I also made leftovers into a soup by taking about half a cup of it and adding chicken broth to thin it out......tasted great in my opinion!

Again, play with seasonings. Just because I love cajun/creole seasoning and garlic doesn't mean everyone else will. I like a lot of garlic and a good amount of heat.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Don't have any but would love some!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Pizza Bites, love these!

http://pinterest.com/pin/48061920993387606/
  • aluvsj
    aluvsj Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    These are the Best!!! Got them off MFP not to long ago. Kid's love them!!!

Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites
    Makes ~24 Bites

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
    1/4 cup buffalo sauce (we used Frank's)
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix together all ingredients.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin,
    filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
    4. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Nutritional Information for 4 bites per My Fitness Pal: Calories - 109,
    Fiber - 1, Fat - 4, Protein - 8, Calcium - 6, Carbs - 11

yumm must try these!! thanks
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've used it in a few recipes like stuffed peppers, etc. but the easiest one I do by far is:

- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed)

- 1/2 cup steel cut oats

- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar or raw honey

- 3 cups water (you can also use milk, or half milk/water)

- cinnamon

- throw it into a slow cooker on high for a couple of hours and it's done!

It doesn't take very long to cook, even on low so it's not an overnight recipe. I usually put it on in the evening and store it in the fridge. When reheating add a bit of water or milk and it will be nice and creamy.

I've tried different variations with diced apple, adding vanilla at the end, banana, whatever. Now I just make this base and if everyone can add whatever they like after....frozen berries, sunflower seeds, etc. etc.
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • deestone
    deestone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories each serving is?
  • angelbaby75
    angelbaby75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love Quinoa and search for a new recipe to try weekly.
    An easy and much loved is just sautee onions, mushrooms, garlic. Boil quinoa in chicken broth instead of water. When done mix with the sauteed items. Very yummy and easy. Great sidedish with grilled chicken.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Another really simple one...

Cooked quinoa mixed about 1:1 with Bush's chili beans (kidney beans with seasoning). Just like that tastes pretty good hot or cold. I also like adding kernel corn, onions and shredded chicken for a more complete dish.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Quinoa Casserole! I make this every few weeks. It also works to freeze some to thaw out later. I make the below with less cheese and greek yogurt in place of mayo. It's still awesome. I have it down so this recipe makes 4 servings and each serving is only about 252 calories!

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • lwalker1958
    lwalker1958 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good. I have actually made salad dressing with that combination!
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I will have to ask my wife, they have been eating that for thousands of years. She has been eating it all her life. She is from South America where they grow it.