Co-workers that like to bring food to work

Options
Thewatcher_66
Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
Anyone else out have this problem? Despite being adamant that you will not indulge in their sugary cookies, cakes, fried bread (aka donuts), they keep stopping by your desk anyway? Are they really showing good intentions by being thoughtful even though you tell them "no" constantly. I stepped away from desk the other week and someone took liberties and left a big hunk of cheesecake on my desk. I didn't come to work to eat, I came to work to work.

Replies

• mrsdnl
    mrsdnl Posts: 10
    Options
    Just had this issue today.....its hard!
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Silly food pushers!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    It is so horrible that they are holding you down and shoveling food down your throat!

Call HR immediately.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I didn't come to work to eat, I came to work to work.

Are you "working" right now??
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options
    It is so horrible that they are holding you down and shoveling food down your throat!

Call HR immediately.

I knew the old "hey who is forcing you" comment would come along. I'll just ignore it for now. If you want to discuss it fine, if not, run along. After all, "no one is forcing to read this thread" now are they. LOL
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options
    I didn't come to work to eat, I came to work to work.

Are you "working" right now??

I'm off today. Next question.
  • whierd
    Options

Call HR immediately.

I knew the old "hey who is forcing you" comment would come along. I'll just ignore it for now. If you want to discuss it fine, if not, run along. After all, "no one is forcing to read this thread" now are they. LOL

If you ate the chesecake you wouldn't be so snarky.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options

Call HR immediately.

If you ate the chesecake you wouldn't be so snarky.

Not if I'm lactose intolerant. I'd be worse than "snarky' lol
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There is cake for the taking on the back wall of filing cabinets ..... right now. Uggghhh can't stand it!! I purposely walk the other hall when the junk is over there! Oh I would love a piece... do I want to walk an hour and a half to account for it in my daily calorie goal, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    tell them you're diabetic and CANT eat it...??? :smile:
  • meaningful99
    Options
    There's a guy at my office who brings in homemade cookies like twice a week -- I could punch him!
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You're rude.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have pretty good co-workers on that issue. One is vegan and he is very conscientious about what he eats and most other people are on a budget so they are not able to just spend cash like that for community snacking. I think it's best if people are cautious of doing this in case someone has an allergy too.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    This happens all the time at my office. A few times a month someone will bring in a bunch of cookies or doughnuts for everyone. It used to not be a big deal because everyone ate it. Now, however, more people than not are making better choices and try to avoid eating a bunch of sweets. The sweets keep appearing even though it has been said that people don't want them. I don't have a problem with it because I genuinely don't like sweets, but I feel bad for the people who struggle to maintain their willpower.
  • whierd
    Options
    There is cake for the taking on the back wall of filing cabinets ..... right now. Uggghhh can't stand it!! I purposely walk the other hall when the junk is over there! Oh I would love a piece... do I want to walk an hour and a half to account for it in my daily calorie goal, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I dare you to go lick the cake.
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    They know I do not eat that kind of food, and quit asking/offering it to me all together. They crack jokes about it too... but I just let it roll off my back.
  • whierd
    Options
    This happens all the time at my office. A few times a month someone will bring in a bunch of cookies or doughnuts for everyone. It used to not be a big deal because everyone ate it. Now, however, more people than not are making better choices and try to avoid eating a bunch of sweets. The sweets keep appearing even though it has been said that people don't want them. I don't have a problem with it because I genuinely don't like sweets, but I feel bad for the people who struggle to maintain their willpower.

Break the mold and bring in some healthier alternatives.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options
    You're rude.

Tell me something I don't already know.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    They are being nice. They are probably well aware that you will say no, but do not wish to make you feel excluded.

My husband and I are very reclusive, but whenever our friends or family want to do something, they ask us if we would like to join them. We almost always say no, but every now and then, we say yes. (Admittedly, I am usually the one sending my husband to work with a plate of cookies because I wanted one and had to bake a couple dozen.)

Maybe you don't like cheesecake, donuts, cookies or cake, but you ARE fond of brownies. Your co-workers have no way of knowing, and would probably feel bad if they found out later that the day they had brownies and passed you by was the one day you would have been in the mood for a treat.

Just smile, say "no, thank you" and move on with your day.

As Whierd said, no one is forcing you to be the company's Mr. Grumplebottom.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a co-worker's birthday. I was nominated to stop and pick up some delicious, fattening breakfast tacos for the whole office, and when I got here, someone else had brought in a cake. I had no trouble staying away from it because around here, food typically stays in the break room, and eating it or not eating it is entirely up to you.

On the other side of things, I have a co-worker who is trying to lose weight by taking all these weird "herbal supplements" and eating "healthy" snacks, and she will not stop pushing me to try them. And she's the "sweet older lady" type who is quite sensitive. I think I really hurt her feelings today when I wouldn't eat any of her powdered peanut butter that has had all the good, healthy fat sucked out of it. She knows full well that I have my own eating plan and that I don't do the low-fat, gimmicky, pre-packaged crap.