Is this fat shaming?

Options

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I don't think listing the calories is the problem (you can argue that for health), it is the implication of the last line, "summer is coming... just sayin'". The idea that you have to be thin and/or fit for summer because it is the beauty ideal, i.e. it's what you should be and nobody wants to see bigger people in swim suits. Summer = more skin, winter means "offensive" bodies can be covered up. I think if you posted this elsewhere you would get a different response. We're all on a fitness for a reason, myself included. I have friends who are interested in challenging thin-privilege and the monolithic constructions of beauty in our society. They would give you a better answer than I can.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful. Most people don't realize how many calories one thing has versus another.

Some of the restaurants here (BC) are talking about adding nutritional information to their menus
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nope...thats just marketing...the guy making fun of kim kardashian in a thread is fat shaming.

here, see for yourself.
    this dude seems really angry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/970233-pigging-out-a-bit
    This.

That dude needs to get laid, obviously.

OP is a chick
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful. Most people don't realize how many calories one thing has versus another.
    This. Some people will be shocked by the bagel's stats. Some people won't care or already know. I like that more restaurants are visibly posting their calorie counts. Anyone offended by the "summer's coming" statement probably has self esteem issues since it's not directed at anyone in particular and it's true!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The calorie count for the oatmeal is off..

:huh: :huh:

Ummm.... based on the information at hand, there's NO way for you to back this up, bro.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Umm...I'd eat them both in one sitting...am I missing the point?

That was my take away... "Look! Here's breakfast."
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Umm...I'd eat them both in one sitting...am I missing the point?

That was my take away... "Look! Here's breakfast."

I'd make an oatmeal bagel sandwhich.
  • sarahkalt88
    sarahkalt88 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say so, many people are unaware that their favourite morning bagel w/ cream cheese is SO far detached from a healthy breakfast! I always used to think they weren't that bad until I really looked at the nutritional information in detail. Oatmeal all the way!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's bullying.

You know, because we call everything bullying these days
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    nope...thats just marketing...the guy making fun of kim kardashian in a thread is fat shaming.

here, see for yourself.
    this dude seems really angry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/970233-pigging-out-a-bit
    This.

That dude needs to get laid, obviously.

OP is a chick

uhhhhhhhh prove it.

:laugh:
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Is this "fat shaming?" Given the ginormous people in sweatpants walking around my neighborhood, I sometimes feel like we could use some, but this ain't it.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174049/fat-shaming-actually-all-around

oatmeal.jpg

Not really. Some people just like to know the caloric content of the food they eat.

If it said "omg fatties get to the gym because your *kitten* looks bad in that bikini" then I think that would be, yes
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Not fat shaming, just guilt tripping :laugh:

Edit: Doesn't their oatmeal seem a little low calorie!? Sheesh...
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    You would be surprised how many people don't know this. There are a LOT of people who think they are doing good by getting a salad, or chicken sandwich at McDonalds!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Ummm.... based on the information at hand, there's NO way for you to back this up, bro.

Sure it is, SIS. Assuming that their portion of oatmeal is atleast 1/2 cup, thats 150 calories alone not including the berries. Lets say they include 100g of berries... that's another 57 calories according to the USDA. Not to mention, any milk or additional sugar and/or flavorings they used to prepare it. So yes, chick, as you can see a simple bowl of oatmeal can easily exceed the 150 listed
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Err...my oatmeal with blueberries is 270 calories. But I digress.

It's a little haughty, but think it's great to encourage healthier food choices.
    Why is it wrong as a society to raise the bar a little bit, without putting anyone down?

Not all choices are the same.
    Not all lifestyles are the same.
    Not all foods are the same.

Passively, lovingly encourage the good for its own sake.

If someone is uncomfortable with that little sign, I don't know why. Is it body shaming for someone to say eat more fruit and veg, to nobody in particular? I wish someone had put more of the good stuff in my food when I was a kid, instead of heaving plates full of white spaghetti and melted butter. That could have saved me 10 years of misery and declining health.

As for signs, junk food fans are fully welcome to put up their own signs advertising the tasty additions of sugar, fat and salt in their food. I promise not to be offended.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    NO its racism
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

Sure it is, SIS. Assuming that their portion of oatmeal is atleast 1/2 cup, thats 150 calories alone not including the berries. Lets say they include 100g of berries... that's another 57 calories according to the USDA. Not to mention, any milk or additional sugar and/or flavorings they used to prepare it. So yes, chick, as you can see a simple bowl of oatmeal can easily exceed the 150 listed

You cant prove things via assumptions.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised how many people don't know this. There are a LOT of people who think they are doing good by getting a salad, or chicken sandwich at McDonalds!

Grilled chicken sandwich 350.
    Grilled chicken Caesar salad with vinaigrette 280.

So they'd be right ;)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Ummm.... based on the information at handhighlye's NO way for you to back this up, bro.

You cant prove things via assumptions.

If you've ever read the nutrition label of most oats, you'd know that the serving size is pretty much 1/2 cup..that's not an assumption. I highly doubt a restaurant would serve less than that to a patron
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

One day I hope to be so successful and so far ahead of my competition that people will make me out the the Evil Empire of Corporations and everything my company produces will be accused of being tainted in some form or fashion. THAT is a true measure of success.

Soooooo....oatmeal or a chicken sandwich at the local shop down the street is a Good, but get oatmeal from McDonalds (aka the Evil Empire) and that oatmeal or chicken suddenly morphs into something poisonous. All food like substanance is removed from any item if it is handed to you from behind a McDonald's counter, I guess. I watch them crack eggs but the forums have taught me that I will get zero nutrition from an egg sandwich from McD's.

The forums are an amazing place.